iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal stickers

Started by Briankinley2004, May 30, 2017, 11:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

Has anyone used metal stickers for drying wood? I have bundles of metal stud stiffeners left over from jobs. They are roughly 1-1/2" wide by 1/2" thick c shapes. They are a heavy gauge and probably wouldn't crush. I think maybe 16 gauge. Any negatives to using them and how they would react in kiln. They are dipped galvanized. They are in my way and need to be used for something. Make excellent straight edges but I can only use so many

longtime lurker

Ferrous metals - iron, steel etc will stain wood due to chemical reaction.
Copper based- copper brass bronze cupronickel are ok but too expensive to waste  like that.
Aluminum okay so far as i know.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

1/2" is too thin, especially for fast drying species and products.

Are the bearing surfaces flat?  Are the bearing surfaces 1-1/2" wide?  What cross-section shape?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Briankinley2004

I will measure when I get to shop next eeek. I think bearing surface is 1.5". They are "c" shape meaning hollow. They will handle the applied load well. Not worried about them crushing. Also have a mile or so of 1" angle iron. Thought about laying it on a "v" to use for stickers. Most of it is primed and not raw wood

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Iron will react with tannic acid in the wood to form a blue-black colored chemical called iron tannate.  For this reason, metal stickers are aluminum or stainless.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on June 03, 2017, 11:19:05 PM
I will measure when I get to shop next week. I think bearing surface is 1.5". They are "c" shape meaning hollow. They will handle the applied load well. Not worried about them crushing. Also have a mile or so of 1" angle iron. Thought about laying it on a "v" to use for stickers.
Is that a 90° corners on the C or rounded?  In either case, I'd be concerned that the two thin channel edges on the bottom of the stack might start to put indents into your wood.  And if a rounded C, then the top might want to dent the wood as well.  I'm thinking softwoods, so maybe not an issue with oaks and such.
QuoteMost of it is primed and not raw wood
So this is not fresh cut, green wood?  Something that is getting painted and you are stacking it to dry or just to store?  If it is already dry, you can just flat stack.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!