iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with tree farmer c7d

Started by Cypressgator, June 03, 2017, 07:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressgator

Just nought a c7d tree farmer skidder drove it 3 miles to our property  and it will not move now any ideas

Spartan

probably need to give us more info.

Does the engine run?
Tranny engage? 
Did you check the fluid levels?
Do you have hydraulics or are they dead too?

Cypressgator

Yes the detroit runs good all fluids are good and all the hydraulics are working just will not move  the drive shaft between engine and tranny will mot engage to turn transfer case it has a powershift tranny

kiko

Since the shaft between engine and torque convertor won't spin you have lost transmission pressure.  Did this occur after it had set for a while, or did it quit while moving?

Spartan

do you have a pressure gauge for the trans?

Cypressgator

After sitting overnight will take pictures tomorrow  and post them so it will be easier for everyone  mainly me

Cypressgator

Not sure about gage  will look when i take pics

lopet

I vote for a slipping torque converter. 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Cypressgator

No gage for trans
And how do i upload pics

Spartan

Forgive the ignorance, maybe the converter is not the same as mine, but what's to slip?

You need to check to make sure you have pressure and supply to your clutches, and to your converter.  Is there air in your trans oil when running?

What model trans is it, there should be a tag on it.  Get yourself a manual for it, can probably download one for free.
It will tell you the check points and pressures you need to test the hydraulic system in it.

Figure out if its your charge pump before you tear into anything converter related.  If its a clark powershift, it should pressurize your clutches first then dump the rest into the converter.  If either of those are compromised, no drive.

Cypressgator

Ok will check that and see what happensthanks to every one for all the info

Autocar

Theres a chance running it that far and what your saying it may be the seals on the power shift. When the seals get tired they will let transmission fluid go into first,second and third all at the same time. Gets hot and it won't move.Let it cool down and try it if it works ok your going to have to pull the transmission and have it rebuilt. There a simple transmission to rebuild after seeing mine apart but I had a shop do mine and it cost me twenty five hundred.
Bill

Cypressgator

Thanks  autocar trier it this morning and still have no movement in driveshaft from torque converter im in the process of loosening lines and seeing where i have fluid  and where i dont to narrow down where the problem is

kiko

If the prop shaft is not turning , you have no transmission pressure.  The torque convertor is still connected to the engine because one of those pumps is a hydraulic pump and you stated the hydraulics are operational.   Concentrate on the suction line to the transmission pump.   It must pull the oil uphill and minor leaks suction will cause loss of prime.  There is also a suction strainer at the bottom of the transmission that could be stopped up keeping you from getting suction oil to the pump.  To identify which pump is the transmission pump, the suction hose will go into the transmission case.   Also address the transmission filter . Note the color of the oil,  black oil is associated with internal aluminum failure. 

Logger RK

If it has a Dana P4 300 or 350 transmission with a Twin Disc 6-F 1307 single stage torque converter,there should be a pressure relief on the right side of the torque. It might be worth looking at that also. That's what my 7 has

Cypressgator

Ok thanks logger rk and kiko will check into that today

coxy

could it have a fiber gear in it  that let loose like the TJ have for the converter

Logger RK

If it's the brand that I have,I don't remember anything but steel gears. I did go through mine a couple years ago. I did find a shop manual for mine. Hard to find many people that have worked on my kind. I think there less common then the clarks that were also put in the 7.

Spartan

Quote from: coxy on June 06, 2017, 08:00:17 AM
could it have a fiber gear in it  that let loose like the TJ have for the converter

If the fiber gear lets loose, your hydraulics should be dead too.  At least thats the way it is on the TJ's.  the converter drives the hydraulic pump as well as the charge pump.

Cypressgator

Is there any other way to determine  what tranny and torque converter is in it i cant find any tags on mine

Cypressgator

But i did find out that i have fluid to the pump but not much comeing out so im going to pull it off  in the morning if the rian alows

Spartan

sometimes you can't tell if a pump is bad by inspection because the case is wore out inside and the oil slips by.  If its like my pump, you have a port on the top of the housing you can test pressure at if you don't see anything unusual in a visual inspection.

I don't know what model you have, look on the converter housing for the tag, I've seen them there.

kiko

A way to check the pump out once it is removed , is to remove the fittings and clean the surfaces with brake parts cleaner or such and cover the holes with good tape like gorilla tape.  Now spin the shaft by hand, one side should suck in and the other will protude.   If the pump will move air it will move oil.

Thank You Sponsors!