iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One escaped

Started by EZ, December 17, 2004, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

A guy down at the shop wanted to know if I wanted 10 chickens and of coarse I said yes. His son was raising them for 4-H and now he didnt want them any more, he said they were about 8 months old. Today I stop and we put them in the back of my truck with a cover on the back. When I got home the wife all ready had the water boiling so I went out to get started and the one roaster jumb out but I got the rest of them. We got them all cleaned in a couple of hours.
I'll get the other bird tomorrow morning with the 22. ;D
It amazes me how people would rather go to the store then to just clean there own stuff.
EZ

etat

And just in time for Sunday Dinner! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

heh heh !   goin' chicken huntin', are you?

I can still smell that smell from when I was a child.  Scalded chicken feathers on the back stoop where they were being plucked.

pasbuild

My buddy Dave will not allow chicken in his house because of having to clean them when he was a kid. He sure is missing out on some GOOD meals.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

WoodSmith

Oh ya the smell of scalded chicken feathers, and to top it off plungin your hand into that greezie ol yaller fat, yuk!!! :P

etat

You  gonna forget all about that, once them chickens are battered, and in the pan being fried.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sawguy21

I remember mom and my grandmother scalding chickens. My job was to catch and lop 'em. My sister was watching one day and a headless chicken fell off the block and, wings flapping, roared around after her. She left screaming
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV_hillbilly

You had better watch out EZ that rooster is gonna talk to those deer running around your place > :D  He will probably stand real still cause what's there to be scared of . Really those are some fine eatin meals you got your hands on . I remember the smell too cause it hasn't been that long ago .

Woodsmith  those yaller birds sure do look more appetizing than those pale ones at the store .

Sawguy I know exactlywhat your saying . My sisters disappeared when it was time for that . Cause my brother and I would let go of one just cause we was ornery kids ..
Hillbilly

WoodSmith

Ya WV_Hillbilly,
You definantely got a point there, there ain't nothing like fresh home grown. Say what part of WV you from? I spent the summer of 1973 near French Creek.
Happy Holidays

hiya

The reason the chickens in the store look pale is they were put in a couple of clorene baths to kill germs. When hand cleaned they don't need a bath ::)
Richard
RichardinMd.

WV_hillbilly

Woodsmith

I grew up in the Northern Panhandle ,  Ohio County to be exact . About 1/2 mile from where they built the new Cabela's Store .

French Creek is a great place to go . I remember going there when I was little and going to the Wildlife preserve . Holly River State Park is also around there .  I think we are taking the kids on a weekend trip there this coming summer .
Hillbilly

WV_hillbilly

The more I think about it EZ you should have told me you was going to do this . I could have came up with my shotgun and when you let the tailgate down we could have had a redneck  trapshoot .  :D
Hillbilly

EZ

That DanG roaster started crowing at 4:30 this morning, come day lite, he is going to be in hot water. ;D
Red neck trap shoot, now that is funny, only in America. :) :) :)
EZ

Norm

Way to go EZ, nothing better than fresh butchered chickens. The roosters can be tough but I make em into chicken and noodles. It amazes me that someone wouldn't do their own chickens, they should go to a poultry packing plant sometime. Well maybe not...they'd swear off chicken forever.

sawguy21

After looking after those d**n chickens all summer, I figured the only good chicken was a dead chicken, on my plate. Still one of my favourite meals
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Chicken n dumplin's! ;D  Linda has the best quick recipe for this I've ever seen. After the chicken is boiled, she adds Cream of Chicken soup, and a can of Cream of Celery soup, then "makes" her dumplings by cutting flour tortillas into strips and dropping them in. They plump up and taste just like Granma's dumplings. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

edsaws

You gotta love then free birds. I had some layers that were just about ready for the stew pot, when a fishcer musta known I was gettin ready to make some stew, because I went out in the mornin to get my eggs and it was a massacre :'(. No more chickens no more eggs :(. Well I'll have to wait for a new batch next year.

GHRoberts

I don't recall needing boiling water when we butchered our chickens.

(It has been 20 years since we had any.)

beenthere

Tom
I too remember that smell well, and it was in the mid fifties. Kid brother and I would do 25 chickens at a time on Sat. when we were selling fresh 'fryers'.  My dad and mom worked in the kitchen and took the fresh killed and plucked bod's and gutted and cleaned them for sale.

We'd put a huge wash tub full of water and get it boiling over a wood fire, chop the heads off 25, gather them up, dip them in the hot water, and hang them in a tree for plucking. With the hot water, the feathers would slide right off if you get em while they're hot.

Would do 100 to 150 in a morning. Then we could go do whatever we wanted when that job was done.

GHRoberts
What did you do to get the feathers off?  dry pick? or skin them?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV_hillbilly

Now EZ don't knock it till you tried it . No I'm only kiddin . But I'm sure it has been done somewhere in WV before .

If that roooster started that early in the morning it would have been ON .  The question is he still walking around  ?
Or is he out there laughing at you tonite.
Hillbilly

EZ

Went in the bedroom this morning to get the 22 and the wife said, all just leave him alone, besides I kinda like haering him crow. ::)
EZ

WV_hillbilly

I know that routine . What the wife wants she usually gets . Now I have been a good boy this year  Maybe Santa will leave a sawmill under the tree for me .  :)
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!