iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ugly ol walnut

Started by woodbeard, December 17, 2004, 05:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

This stack of logs had been sitting for 6 years.

Still sawed out pretty good, though, and no metal! ;D

Tom

Your right, it's pretty stuff.   Are you going to make something?

Captain

Nice Walnut, George.  I have never sawn any, as I am not taking chances with the livestock.  I may, however, have to cut some at a friend's house.  I keep getting calls....

Captain

Grawulf

Walnut lasts forever even out in the elements. On my folks farm, there's a split-rail fence that was split out of walnut. Near as we can figure, it's 100 plus years old because my great grandmother could remember it.  :o  Most of their house is sided with walnut - wont hold paint worth beans ( or grits) but it's close to the 150 year mark and there's little rot anywhere. Nice stuff Woodbeard!  ;D

woodbeard

This was a mobile job for a customer. Normally it would have been too small to move the mill for, but it was on the way back from a larger job. I don't know what they are going to do with it. Probably they don't either, but they have some time to figure it out. Despite having sat so long, it was still green in the middle.

Wife

:D WOW! I beat captain to cutting some walnut, cool.
I had a log up in Michigan. Cut out some really nice quater sawn 16x2 boards out of it. It looked real ugly but produced some real nice stuff......apart from the 3 nails we hit, but we kept cutting it with the same blade.
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

T_in_SC

Captain, what is the danger to livestock?

populus

We had a case a few years ago (I was the consulting arborist) where a load of wood shavings was used for horse bedding and a very high-priced stallion died. The shavings contained walnut and the horse apparently absorbed a lethal dose of juglone through its hooves.

When we mill walnut, we are careful what we do with the sawdust. We often mill on a farm where our nursery is located, and we want to be sure to keep the sawdust and shavings away from the livestock.

iain

"Ugly ol walnut"
 Is there realy such a thing?

iain

DanG

As Populus stated, Juglone is the culprit. It is a chemical that is found in all parts of a Walnut tree. It is also found, in lesser quantities, in Pecan and Hickory.  The problem with juglone and horses is that it is absorbed through their hooves, and causes them to founder.  Founder is a condition where the hoof literally disintegrates, or delaminates, a fatal condition for a horse.

Pecan and Hickory apparently don't contain enough juglone to cause problems in horses, but it is a natural herbicide, and certain things are hard to grow near these trees. I can't grow tomatoes in my garden, which is just downhill from several large pecan trees. I had to make a small garden away from there for them.  My horses live in a pasture with a number of Pecan trees, and haven't had a problem with their hooves.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Wife

:o Wow. We learn somthing new every day on this forum.
I now know why Captain doesn't want this stuff around his home. Thanks for the info Dan G.
Chris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

LeeB

Nice skirt iain. Just kidding :) You look sharp in your kilt. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

TN_man

Hey LeeB, at least it is not pink ;D
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

ohsoloco

His tie looks pink  :D  ;)

Captain

Got into an ugly old walnut myself yesterday with a customer...black walnut...at his place of course ;)  The gentleman was a cabinet maker by trade, and salvaged a 10 foot "second" log from a yard tree, there were termites reportedly in the base.  We cut it and a crotch he dragged home for turning stock and a slab table.  Cuts pretty easy with the swing blade, I was actually suprised how easy.  The funniest reaction was to see his disappointment that the chocolate color did not go all the way through, and the reaction I got when I told him what would happen when it dried :D

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!