iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What wood is this? Fruitwood of some kind?

Started by Jaywild, June 02, 2017, 12:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaywild

Does anyone have any idea what kind of wood this is?  Both images are from the same piece of wood.  See photos...

fishpharmer

The lower photo resembles quartersawn sycamore. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

cherry, and below the ray figure coming out from the way it was sawed. Cherry looks just like that in our local wild black cherry.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jaywild

Thanks, guys.  I thought it might be cherry but couldn't find that exact "fletching" in pictures online.

Jaywild

Here's some sycamore on the top of a box.  (Couldn't get the "Add photos" button to work so I am posting the pic via HTML.  Hope it works...)

OFFSITE IMAGEs NOT ALLOWED

Jaywild

Quote from: Jaywild on June 02, 2017, 11:15:45 AM
Here's some sycamore on the top of a box.  (Couldn't get the "Add photos" button to work so I am posting the pic via HTML.  Hope it works...)

OFFSITE IMAGEs NOT ALLOWED

Then, can someone please explain how to post images to the Forestry Forum?  Today the "Click to post photos" button works, but it leads to a page where there is no option to select any of the files in my "album".  Frustrating.

low_48

The term is ray fleck. The result of cutting through medullary rays. Many woods have this feature, maple included. The picture you show is definitely cherry, unless your camera has really changed the color.

Thank You Sponsors!