iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for goats

Started by LeeB, May 31, 2017, 11:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Our own much maligned, well loved, but generally low value forum goat aside, does anyone have a clue why goats have gotten so expensive? Who eats them? Is it just a fad like the emu was in the past?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Goat meat is a well established staple in many parts of the world, Sth America, Africa, Middle East and Asia.

Probably catching on in the US now because of immigrants wanting a "Taste of Home"?

I've eaten goat cooked in a Polynesian earth oven a few times, and it's perfectly OK. A bit like lamb I guess.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

Oh, I've eaten it too. Stronger flavor than lamb. I don't particularly care for either one. You mention goat being a staple in the ME and I always thought so too but I have yet to get anyone here to confirm that.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

Its been a long time since I've had goats.  When I did, kid goats would go with lambs.  Those would be best around Easter and Passover.  I'm guessing they're still going with the lambs.

I also had some inquiries from the local Hispanic population about buying a full grown goat.  My guess is as the Hispanic population grows, so does their taste for goat. 

I wonder if there's an increase demand for goat milk. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Skip

Its always higher around Easter, here anyways. 60$ t0 80$  at local sale barns. 100 plus for billys

LeeB

Ordinary run of the mill goats, that I call Spanish goats, are selling for $100 and up. Any kind of fancy goat is $300 or more. Price for rabbits and chickens is outrageous too. Not much Latino population in my area and the supply of goats is certainly much higher than the mainly seasonal demand. Perhaps they are being shipped elsewhere. As I mentioned earlier I never cared for it overly because of the strong taste but I wonder if maybe goats from different regions taste different. I know the deer in Arkansas where I live now certainly taste different than the deer from Central and Southern Texas. Maybe I should try BBQ'ing a goat again. Who knows?

nativewolf

well the middle eastern population in the US has soared, that would be my first thought.  Goat is popular in Mexico as well but it is a staple in the middle east.  Maybe imports from elsewhere got expensive? 

Liking Walnut

red

This has been talked about here on Forestry Forum. The problem is searching the word  G O A T
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

When we was buying goats 10 years ago,75 and up was the going price. No idea now.
Lamas and Alpcas was an expensive fad years ago. $5000 and up. Mostly on the up too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

Quote from: nativewolf on June 01, 2017, 07:56:29 AM
well the middle eastern population in the US has soared

BINGO!!!

Goat is the most consumed ruminant animal on a global basis.  The US imports a lot of goat meat to meet demand.  However, the imported meat is frozen, there is a premium on fresh. 

Holidays play a role as well.  We are currently in the middle of Ramadan, which may be part of the reason for a seasonal spike.  Can't remember if the largest demand is at the beginning or end of that, but it's a moving holidays as it follows the lunar cycle instead of the solar calendar. 

The local Hispanic population likes them as well.  All the neighbors told me about that when I got my goats.
However, they want to pay $50 and butcher on site.  If I take them to the sale barn, I get about $100 a head, sell all in one shot, and have a lot less time invested.  I'll let you guess which way I go. 

Thanks for the reminder, it may be a good weekend to sort and sell my extra males.   ;)  A small amount of insight from a small timer goat herd. 

PS  It probably still wouldn't be worth the trouble (fencing) if they didn't do such a good job killing multiflora rose and keeping the brush down.  Cattle are much easier keepers.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ron Wenrich

There's a list of goat auctions and their livestock report here:  https://www.ams.usda.gov/market-news/goat-reports

I skimmed them, and it seems that the markets is OK, TX, MO and TN seem to be much higher than on the east coast.  Basically, central US has much higher prices. 

Saw a website from MD selling goat for $12.80/lb and kidney at $6.40/lb.   It was the same price as lamb.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

gspren

Back when I was raising goats, up to 30, the Easter market was the Greeks and they wanted medium sized kids, later the Muslim holidays wanted bigger goats. Early on I took to auction but timing was critical and even having the first batch sold compared to the last batch in the same day could mean a lot. Later on I found a broker/buyer that bought and shipped to Philadelphia/New York for the ethnic market, I could call and ask if it's a good week and sometimes yes and sometimes he tell me to wait, he weighed them on arrival and paid by the pound. The buyer was in Atglen, PA maybe Roxie knows of him.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

LeeB

This all very interesting. Several of my neighbors at our new place raise goats. The rest of the neighbors chase them off.  :D

tule peak timber

Five weeks ago I paid 450$ for a 4-H goat with butchering included. I like the meat BBQ'd, stewed ,and kabobbed. Bought a lamb at the same time.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

LeeB

At $450 for a meal, I would have to chew each bite for a long time.  :D
I don't guess I can say much though. I spent $350 for a crawfish boil for 8 people just a couple weeks ago.

tule peak timber

Well ,,,it is a lot of meals, and I share the meat with the guys that work here. The kids that raise the 4H animals also benefit in multiple ways that I see as important. Lastly, for me , it is darn good eating !

LeeB

I understand fully about the value of programs like 4H. None of my kids were in it but they did, band, FBLA and sports. Money well spent.

tule peak timber

Babylon519

My wife keeps dairy goats. I'm just the maintenance man.  :D
Each year at Easter, we take the bucklings (about 8 wks old) to the sales arena and generally get a good price. This year we got $190 each. We held one back for a customer that wanted us to get it butchered and sell it to her whole for some feast or other. The delivered price in that case was $325.
We use the milk ourselves for milk and cheese, but most of it goes to fatten up veal calves and a couple of spring lambs. The beef and lambs go into our freezer, but we've never been much interested in eating goat - don't like the odour of the billies, so don't want to taste it either! Also, they're so much like pets that it wouldn't seem right. They seem to be getting more popular every year. Goat milk around here goes for $4 a quart.     -Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Texas Ranger

Quote from: LeeB on June 01, 2017, 10:12:02 AM
At $450 for a meal, I would have to chew each bite for a long time.  :D
I don't guess I can say much though. I spent $350 for a crawfish boil for 8 people just a couple weeks ago.

Beverages sure raise the price of a crawfish boil!   ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

If you want to farm them for meat, these Sth African Beor goats are the breed to keep.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_goat

About 2X the size of a "regular" goat, can reach 80lb in about 3 months, so you have a decent size animal to sell as a nice tender kid. They also aren't climbers and escape artists like regular goats.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

Yummmmm, nice looking goat ! :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

My wife is Dominican. Goat meat is normal for us. I come to liking it.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dustyhat

I bought some of them boar goats just so i could have a good bloodline. 300 for the cheapest one, its been a year or two and all i have left is some expensive paper work thanks to the barber-pole worm.

Thank You Sponsors!