iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting to build the solar kiln

Started by btulloh, May 31, 2017, 05:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Last phase of construction on the kiln is complete.  I added a little overhang on the front to keep the weather away from the vents and doors.  Just seemed like a good idea.  This kind of slid to the back burner after I had all the operational part complete, but now it's done.  And done.

(It's hard to get good light on the north side of a solar kiln.  Does not photograph well.)
HM126

YellowHammer

That looks great.  Better than many of the houses in my neighborhood :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crusarius

I love it. One day I will have to steel the design :)

grouch

Not being critical, but around here, we generally cut a crescent moon shaped vent for every hole. That looks to be a 4-holer at least, so you might have some more cuttin' to do.

It's a fine looking building, for sure.

;D
Find something to do that interests you.

btulloh

Grouch, I like that crescent idea for the vents.  It would generate some comments for sure.  Not easy to install though, all things considered.'
'
Crusarius, you should take a look at vfauto's design.  If I was doing it again, I think I'd frame it the way he did his.  It will take more materials than mine did though, but less fiddling involved.  He must be a builder, because his framing looks well thought out without the little issues to solve at the finishing stage.

I am curious to see how he proceeds from this point.  What kind of glazing, etc.  Some of the details with the glazing and fan mounts and creating the plenum got to be quite fiddly for me.  I want to see how he does all that.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!