iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cost of an older lt 40?

Started by Paintman, May 31, 2017, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paintman

Hi guys. Im obviously new here. Im from central Indiana. Before my actual question ill give you a little back story. Im 31 and i do automotive collision repair. My dad ran a fairly large sawmill for about 35 years. He is now 61 and hasn't been in the business for about 10 years and i know he misses it. i have become interested in owning a small sawmill. As my interest has grown i found this site.

Ive done quite a bit of research and i have gotten a lead a wood-mizer lt40. its a late 80's model and it is manual. The up side is it has less than 100 hrs. and looks like new. So my question is what should i expect to pay for something like this? I would Involve my dad but im trying to keep it a surprise. So any help would be awesome. Thanks!!!
2017 woodmizer lt40 super with lube mizer and debarker.

fishpharmer

Paintman, welcome to FF.  You cannot go wrong with a woodmizer mill.  Give Woodmizer a call at 1 (800) 553-0182 and ask them to give you an "Orange Book" value for the mill.  If you can get the serial number they can tell you how it came from the factory.  Otherwise, search sawmill exchange, craigslist and the for sale section (here) to get an idea of the market price.  Going only by the year I am guessing less than $10,000.  Purely a guess, good luck!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Deese

Welcome to the forum Paintman, and good luck!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Sixacresand

Welcome the Forum.  Good luck with your mill purchase and it's great that you include your Dad.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Paintman

Thank you guys. I'm one of very few people in my family that hasn't taken the sawmill route in life. Most of my family are from Monticello Kentucky and work in or own big mills. And I couldn't think of a better person to learn from than my dad. I've also looked a woodland 130 but I'd really like to stay Mobil and it seems like wood-mizer may have more Add ons available.

Darrel

Welcome, glad to have you aboard. I paid $10,000 fo my 1992 LT40 hydraulic.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

............and just for fun, when you call Woodmizer ask them if they have any upgrades that will fit this mill
to where its not so manual.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

esteadle

+1 on sawmillexchange.com for comparables.
There's an LT40 there w/ about 200 hours for $17k.
LT30 as well.
WoodMizer is excellent so give them a call.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Paintman!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

50 Acre Jim

I'm new to this forum as well.  But Welcome! 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

dgdrls

Paintman,  welcome,

good advise already posted, WM makes a dandy mill and are a great company to work with.

FWIW as Fishpharmer noted I would be looking for <$10k on the price for a manual 40

D

Crossroads

I have an 85 lt 30 that I paid $6750 for a couple years ago. It came with 30 blade a pv and the engine had been upgraded to an 18 hp. Since then I've axed a hydraulic log turner/clamp and powered the backstops. I've also made several other mods that make it more user friendly and another 30 blades. If I was to put it up for sale today I would start at 12k with some wiggle room. Good luck!
PS if I was going to buy another mill tomorrow, it wouldn't be manual
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

paul case

Quote from: Crossroads on June 03, 2017, 12:13:29 AM
PS if I was going to buy another mill tomorrow, it wouldn't be manual

Same here.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Paintman

I've been told this. And Ive also been looking for a hydraulic I can afford. If needed can I add hydraulics to this lt40 later?

fishpharmer

Quote from: Paintman on June 03, 2017, 09:05:20 AM
I've been told this. And Ive also been looking for a hydraulic I can afford. If needed can I add hydraulics to this lt40 later?

The short answer is "no," in my opinion.  The long answer is "yes" anything is possible, it will take considerable expense and or fabrication skills, again thats my opinion.  If you or a buddy has the skills and tools to fabricate its very doable if you don't have to pay someone.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pineywoods

Paintman, you indeed can add hydraulics to an older lt40 BUT, not really practical to add the factory hydraulics. Use the forum search function to search for "home made hydraulics" Pics. dimensions, descriptions for turner,  2 plane clamp, toe roller and backstops. No welding on the mill, everything bolts on. The original is on my 95 lt40 in daily use. Easily adapted to other mills..cheap
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Darrel

Another option instead of adding hydraulics later is selling the manuel mill and buying a hydraulic mill after the manuel mill makes you a little money.  You should be able to sell the manuel for what you pay for it.
1992 LT40HD

D6c

I have an '87 LT40 manual that my dad bought new....at the time I think is was around $10,000.  Not sure what it would be worth today but with price increases and added features on the new mills I wouldn't be surprised that one like it would come close to bringing the original price.

You asked about adding hydraulics to an older mill....I decided to do it because a manual mill can get pretty slow and physical if you saw very much.   Adding hyd. can be done but it's a job. I'm part way through modifying my LT40 and to give you some idea what's involved, here's my progress so far.... https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,96274.0.html

I still have to build toe boards and linkage to power the side stops.  I've ordered a hydraulic pump and other parts to begin putting together the power unit.
It's not inexpensive but I had the advantage of not having to buy the mill first since it came from my dad's estate.

thecfarm

Just as another thread I posted,depends. I only saw for myself,manual mill suits me fine. I do have a tractor to get them on the log brough. I cut the tree down,saw the logs up and build. When that tree is done,I cut another tree and start all over. Yes,hyd would be nice,but I would rather spend the money on other equipment I need. My mill has sat for more than year,waiting for me to start building.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deese

I've never pushed the mill until yesterday. I was sawing syp 1x4's yesterday evening for a customer. New blade. Made a cant, cut 4" thick slabs being sure not to split the pith, flipped them 90°, programmed to drop 1 1/8" each cut and hammered down. Each pass making 3 1x4's. Without the command control, I would have been jogging to keep up.  I don't know how I ever survived without hydraulics.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Paintman

I talked to wm today. They told me the value is around 7500-8000. And they also said hydraulics can not be added. So I think this is a no go. I will be watching around and plan to have some bought soon.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Paintman on June 05, 2017, 03:33:34 PM
I talked to wm today. They told me the value is around 7500-8000. And they also said hydraulics can not be added. So I think this is a no go. I will be watching around and plan to have some bought soon.

I love it when someone say it can't be done...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DbltreeBelgians

Paintman,
I'll be at the auction looking to get a metal lathe. The LT40 is to be the first item to sell. I'll let ya know how things go. I think in the long run you'll be happier if you can find a hydraulic mill. My mill was all manual when I purchased it and I added hydraulics and love it. It was a lot of work but I wouldn't go back. I still don't have power feed or power raise and lower but that's in the works.
Keep watching the for sale board and also the Sawmill Exchange. I'm sure you'll find the right mill for you and your dad.
Good luck,

Brent

Darrel

I found my LT40 on Craigslist
1992 LT40HD

DbltreeBelgians

Hey paintman I'm glad to hear you pulled the trigger on a new hyd mill.
I just got home from the auction with a woodmiser single tooth setter for $30.00, a woodmiser ADS-30 sharpener for $20.00 and a big set of logging tongs and 2 single hooks like Magicman uses to roll his logs. Also to let you know the old LT-40 sold for $8700.00 along with 3 boxes of blades, an extra drum switch and a bunch of misc. stuff.
They ran the mill and it sounded ok but I think you'll be much happier with your new one.

Brent

Thank You Sponsors!