iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying poplar

Started by xlogger, May 31, 2017, 05:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I cut a large poplar log up last Friday into 2 1/4" live edge slabs, then put it under fans. I'm going to have room in my solar kiln very soon and was wondering if it might be better to put the poplar in there to keep it more in the white color?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Oftentimes, you can dry faster in air drying and get a whiter appearance than in a solar kiln.  The kiln tends to be more humid than air drying due to the venting not being large enuf.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

Yes, poplar does very well under fans, lots of air, and in only a relatively short period of time they will lose a lot of moisture fast.  Much faster than in a solar kiln. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I should have added that in any kiln, we can mix species and thicknesses without much risk, but never mix moisture contents.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!