iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I broke a plug receptacle

Started by Deese, May 30, 2017, 08:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I made a stupid move yesterday. The screen on the Accuset 2 said "Error check breaker/cable". Me being the genius that I am, I wiggled the plug instead of pulling it straight out and broke a few of the prongs in the receiving end of the cable connection. I ordered a new receptacle this morning and should be here tomorrow. Have any of you replaced one? I honestly just haven't had much time to take a close look at it. I assume it's pretty simple and hope to get it done tomorrow after work...

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

It plugs into the Accuset 2 control box. I don't have a manual and keep forgetting to order one.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Just observe carefully, label, and be concerned with only one wire at the time.  Actually take a few pictures of the back side of that receptacle before doing anything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Quote from: Magicman on May 30, 2017, 08:47:52 PM
Just observe carefully, label, and be concerned with only one wire at the time.  Actually take a few pictures of the back side of that receptacle before doing anything.

Taking pictures is a great suggestion.  Every since I've had a smart phone I take pictures of everything I work on.  Before the smart phone I used the digital camera but that was sorta hit or miss.  Pioctures have saved my butt numerous times.

After the work is complete I save the pictures to my PC, as it gives me a record of what I did and when I did it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4x4American

Nice going!!!   smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

No oreos for you!

:D :D

Boy, back in my day..

Deese

I took a peek inside the control box and ohh boy... headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_confused
This is going to be fun.
The part was late arriving to Montgomery this morning due to a flight delay...So it may or may not be delivered today. It looks like it may be raining this afternoon so I'm not in a huge hurry anyways..
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

I have never seen the backside of your receptacle but I believe that your concerns will be soothed when you actually get your new one.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

I hope so. Waiting to edge some of my air dried 1" lumber for a guy. Many of the boards developed crook as they dried. The pith is centered in the boards containing juvenile wood, and they still developed crook. You can see it in a few of the top boards in the pic. It all dried flat as can be, but just going to lose about 1.5" in width on most of the boards after edging.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I've about decided that crook is unavoidable in flatsawn lumber containing pith. But I'll take crook over bow anytime with 1" stuff. Framing lumber would be the opposite.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

If you sawed the cant from either the hump or the horn side, (normal) those boards could very well be edged flitches that were taken from the cant sides. 

Deese

That's true. I didn't think about that. I had a few boards that contained the pith on the edges and they looked like a bent propeller.
Cooks AE4P Edger

pine

Not knowing just how the plug is set up but since you stated that the prongs (pins) were broken you may have to have a crimper to crimp the new pins onto the wire.  Most pins in a control plug are of the 16-18 gauge wire/pin combination and while you might get away with "pliers crimping" them it is not a long term satisfactory solution as they tend to fail if not symmetrically crimped onto the wire.  Hopefully you either have a pin crimper or this is not the case for your plug.

Deese

I just tracked it, and it's on the truck for delivery today. Should be here around lunch. I will check it out and keep you updated.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

My prediction is that it will be "plug & play" and your most difficult thing to do will be to remove the cover.   ;D

Deese

Just delivered. Yep, it looks like a "plug and play" type deal.  :)
I'll head to the mill in a few hours and see what happens  ::)

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Yup, I was not thinking yesterday when I made my initial reply.  ::)  All control box repairs/replacements are pretty well something that can be done under field conditions.   :P

There are reasons why Orange gets high marks.  smiley_thumbsup

Deese

Just got here, opened up the back, side, and 2 front parts. Then got a heavy precipitation alert on my phone. Scrambling, I got all screws in place and threw the tarp over the box just before the rain hit. So frustrating.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I had about 30 seconds to look, but it seems pretty simple. I plug in a bunch of wires in one spot, then run 4 wires (I think it's 4) down the tube to the lower compartment and connect them to the up/down switch. It's going to take a little patience and probably a short flat head screwdriver to connect them. This the only pic I got before the rain. I'll take more whenever mama nature says I can.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Ga Mtn Man

Make sure you disconnect the battery before opening the front panel of the main box.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Deese

I got it installed and all seems to be well. One ground wire, 2 wires to the up/down control, and one wire to the ignition switch. However, there were 3 gray wires that came directly off the receptacle that weren't attached to anything. But things seem to be working as usual. I'll upload a few pics either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Here are the 3 wires that I didn't know where to connect. I'll post more pics tomorrow showing what I did. I edged about 40 air dried 1x's after install. Back rolling. Got about 200 more to do, then 8 syp logs to finish here Saturday, then moving down the road a few miles for 30+ 12' syp logs Sunday. Gettin' my feet wet with the new mill. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Ga Mtn Man

Did the receptacle you removed not have those three wires?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

If I remember right the switch from accuser 1 to accuser 2 there was a few wires not used any more,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

Quote from: drobertson on June 01, 2017, 08:13:24 AM
If I remember right the switch from accuser 1 to accuser 2 there was a few wires not used any more,

That makes sense. There didn't seem to be a place for them to go. Got it back going in no time.
And looking back, I just couldn't believe that I put enough pressure on that plug to break those prongs. Well, I was right. When I flip the lid open to operate the machine, sometimes it would rest on top of that plug. That's what broke the plug, or at least damaged it enough for it to break with I wiggled it. Lesson Learned. A $100 mistake.  :o

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

It was pretty simple to install. Open the back panel, upper and lower front panels and side panel next to the up/down switch. Screw in receptacle in the back, pull the old square plug out of top front panel and replace with new plug.

There are 5 grey wires coming directly from the outside plug receptacle. Two of the grey wires run directly to, and are already connected to the square plug. I have no idea where the remaining 3 grey wires go. As mentioned in a previous post, they may be for Accuset 1 and I have Accuset 2. Just not sure. Then, you've got 6 wires coming from the backside of the square plug. Black, Red, Blue, Yellow.   

The Black, Red, Blue, and Yellow wires go through the hole, down into the lower box.

The black wire goes on a threaded bolt where several other ground wires are connected. (didn't get a pic)

Remove the up/down handle and the 3 screws holding the up/down switch in place. The blue and yellow wires are connected to the up/down switch. It was difficult for me to connect the wires without unsecuring the switch from the side.

Here you can see the up/down switch unsecured, with the yellow and blue wires connected. (Blue wire is connected on backside)

The red wire is connected to the ignition switch. (I think it's the ignition switch, I didn't actually look at front side of panel to verify. I just assumed.)

Put everything back together and you're good to go.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Quote from: Deese on June 01, 2017, 10:36:39 AMWhen I flip the lid open to operate the machine, sometimes it would rest on top of that plug. That's what broke the plug
I would be adding a bumper to stop the lid's movement.

Deese

I modified the post a few times correcting errors. It may be a tad easier to understand now.  :P
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 01, 2017, 06:43:50 AM
Did the receptacle you removed not have those three wires?

Yes Sir it did, but they weren't connected to anything. I haven't had a chance to call WM. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Ga Mtn Man

Well, there you go.  Doesn't seem to be any mystery here. :)   Glad you got it going.  Do you have any soldering skills?  You could repair that old harness with a new receptacle for around $10. 

ChugiakTinkerer

Nothing today, just testing the ° functionality in the message dialog.

The official weather says it is 65° F.  My car at noon said it was 70° F.  My house last night was 78° F.  We are thick-blooded folk with no air conditioning in the house.  If it gets much warmer during the day I might be sawing zzzZZZZZs!

EDIT: Whoops, posted in wrong thread.  Sorry Deese.
Woodland Mills HM130

Deese

I'm a soldering ninja. When I was a kid, I was beat with a broken bandsaw blade until I could do it blindfolded.

I did keep the plug thinking the same thing. Going to fix it, and going to build an inventory of spare parts over time...buying a few parts here and there over time
Cooks AE4P Edger

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!