iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LED Lights?

Started by sandhills, May 30, 2017, 09:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

My nephew put some LED lights on my main tractor (1486 IH) recently and whenever I turn them on my radio goes static, anyone know why or what I can do to fix it?  Sure do like the lights but gotta have my tunes too  ;D.  Thanks in advance.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sounds like something isn't grounded properly.

Do you have the old lights and can you pop them back in for a test?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Gary_C

I agree with the grounding problem. In my opinion there is nothing worse than single wire power for lights on old tractors, trailers and trucks. Rusty metal does not qualify as a good conductor.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sandhills

Thanks guys I'll check, I wasn't there when he put them on but still don't know why that'd mess with radio reception.  I still have all the old lights on the tractor, just added these to them, they all run off the same switch.

grouch

I bought some 120VAC 10W LED weatherproof flood lights and tried to use one in the garage to make an area extra bright. As soon as I plugged it in, the broadcast football game on the tv at the time just broke up pixelated. Tried using a different receptacle -- no change. Even my buzz box welder doesn't do that.

[edit:]

Found this:
How to Remove Radio Interference Using Ferrite Coils for HID and LED Headlights
Find something to do that interests you.

21incher

Most of the LED's have a DC to DC voltage converter that allows them to run on anywhere from 10 to 30 volts. I think some of the lower cost lights may not have proper filters built in them and the wiring can act as a antennae emitting noise that gets picked up by the radio. Try a ferrite as grouch says on the power wires, or maybe a braided shield over the wire grounded at the battery end only. I just installed a led light bar on my tractor and there is zero radio interference just wiring it back to the battery. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sandhills

trapper

Quote from: 21incher on May 30, 2017, 03:10:02 PM
Most of the LED's have a DC to DC voltage converter that allows them to run on anywhere from 10 to 30 volts. I think some of the lower cost lights may not have proper filters built in them and the wiring can act as a antennae emitting noise that gets picked up by the radio. Try a ferrite as grouch says on the power wires, or maybe a braided shield over the wire grounded at the battery end only. I just installed a led light bar on my tractor and there is zero radio interference just wiring it back to the battery. :)

With this voltage converter does it make a difference in brightness on which voltage they are run on?  Say 12 volt verses 24 volt?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ianab

QuoteWith this voltage converter does it make a difference in brightness on which voltage they are run on?  Say 12 volt verses 24 volt?

Nope, the voltage regulator makes sure the DC voltage across the actual LED chips is correct and stable, no matter what the input is.

2 advantages to this.

The LEDs give a full output
The LEDS stay constant from an 11v flat battery to a 14v under charge battery. The current, brightness and heat stays the same.
And they can sell the same LEDs for 12 or 24 v systems.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!