advice on splitting big logs

Started by Bruno of NH, May 29, 2017, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Need some advice on splitting big pine logs 36" to 40" 8' to 10' long
Size of chain saw chain to use and any hints will help
Please and Thank You Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

paul case

I use my Stihl 660 and 36'' bar with 3/8'' chain.

The trick is to keep the bar trailing in the cut so that it helps keep your cut straight. I usually cut from the side like customsawyer does. Do your best to keep the saw against your leg at the same spot and only pull up on the handle slightly. Dont worry about getting all the way through it  the last little bit will break off fairly easily.

Good luck.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishfighter

I have split a 36" pine. I popped a string line down the center. Using a 16" chainsaw, I sawed it from the top. Once sawed, I came back with some oak wedges and a maul. Didn't take much to pop it in half.

Cazzhrdwd

I also use an ms 660 but with a 50 inch bar. The length was a concern with power and oiling but it's been good and I've used it for years. I seem to always be splitting 16's so doing shorter is a breeze. I put the log up on supports, anything can work. Then I nail a 1x6 on top As a straight edge. I'll start doing one end as it's much easier sawing on the ground. Then I'll stand on top of the log and do the middle, then finish with the opposite end. It's always easier for me to saw vertically since the weight of the saw helps with the cut and I don't get any flex in the bar.

96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

killamplanes

Here we stand the log up and let gravity help do are work.  I typically try using new chains, I hand file and am bad about right arm over filing left. Anyway we free hand 36in bar or 5ft on 880.. usually sycamore or cottonwood atleast soft stuff.honestle the best way to do this job is watch someone else do it :D :D :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: killamplanes on May 29, 2017, 11:03:08 PM
usually sycamore or cottonwood

What do Y'all do with Cotton Wood?  :o :o :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

JustinW_NZ

I also use a ripping chain insted of the usual cross cut chain profile.
Doesnt clog the 660 with 'noodles' so much then...

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

killamplanes

Cottonwood has several uses, yes some limited pallet stock but here if it's of the ground and on interior of building it will last as long a lifetime. It and sycamore grow very large here. So large we usually won't cut the tree down if they won't go across the mill. But many uses just no soil contact or weather.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

dboyt

I do pretty much like Cazzhrdwd, with a Husq 365 & 36" bar.  I do both ends first, then run a string line tied to a wedge on each end so that the string is about 1/2' off the cut line.  Some of the sycamore I cut is 42" diameter and bigger, so I have to turn the log over to finish the cut.  Then I cut the halves in half.  Lots of work, but it sets me up for quartersawing, which is great on sycamore.  I'll start using my old Husq 2100 as soon as I get around to getting it in shape.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: dboyt on May 30, 2017, 09:19:59 AM
I do pretty much like Cazzhrdwd, with a Husq 365 & 36" bar.  I do both ends first, then run a string line tied to a wedge on each end so that the string is about 1/2' off the cut line.  Some of the sycamore I cut is 42" diameter and bigger, so I have to turn the log over to finish the cut.  Then I cut the halves in half.  Lots of work, but it sets me up for quartersawing, which is great on sycamore.  I'll start using my old Husq 2100 as soon as I get around to getting it in shape.

Plus, it seems to me taking the 15 minutes it takes to split makes it much easier to saw on the mill. Even better quartering it like you do.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Brad_S.

Gunpowder.  These guys used more than necessary. When done right, it just opens up like a book. This would be my preferred method for Cottonwood but something Higher value that you want to quarter saw it is better done with the chainsaw saw.  Splitting it tends to follow the grain and can lead to a lot of waste straightening the cut back out on the bandmill.
https://youtu.be/F-xAuZX8lWM
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon