The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Air Drying on Pallet Racks  (Read 280 times)

Online Tom the Sawyer

• Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Air Drying on Pallet Racks
« on: May 28, 2017, 10:57:10 pm »
Your thoughts are appreciated...

To conserve space around my mill area, I am planning to use pallet racking for air/pre-drying before going in the kiln.  12' tall pallet rack uprights on concrete post piers would let me store 3 or 4 lifts of lumber for each section.  I intend to put a metal shed type roof with a 2' overhang over the racks.  To prevent degrade from moisture or sunlight, I plan to hang shade cloth from the overhangs.  If anyone has done something similar, what level of shade cloth gives adequate sunlight protection and yet permits sufficient air flow?
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
Re: Air Drying on Pallet Racks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:50:24 am »
Tom, I store lumber in my shop on 14' lengths of pallet racking and I had to add 1/4" plate to the sides of all of the horizontal supports to kerf them from bowing under the weight.

You might be ok with shorter widths but check them for sag.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Online Tom the Sawyer

• Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:16:44 am »
Scott,

I considered that possibility when I was figuring this out, and I'll be watching for it.  My current pallet racking beams are 9' long and 4" tall.  My kiln is designed for lengths up to 12'6".  The widest portions of the drying racks, the beams will be 13' long and 6" tall.  Each lift should have 5-700 bf, 3-4000 lbs., (my forklift is not as beefy as yours  ;)).

I build my own stacking pallets, they are 2x6s on 16" centers, 8' and 12' long.  Each pallet would sit on its own pair of beams.  The 13' beams are only $35 each, the 9' are $20.  A drying shed isn't currently in the plans so I am hoping that the shade cloth will make for a suitable environment.
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »
When I air dry, I like to keep as much weight as possible on the stacks, generally 2 to 3 units of stickered wood on top of each other, providing significant weight and noticeably helping the lower stacks to stay straight, flat and compressed. 

My concern with stacking individual pallets on shelves for air drying is that you will not have any weight on top of them and will see more degrade than if you stacked them one on top of the other in the same space.

As far as shadecloth, I've never used it, but some species will need extra airflow such as fans, while others may benefit from reduced air flow, like white oak.  Each species has a different drying behavior and forgiveness, so stack placement, wind and other environmental factors should be a consideration for different species. 

Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns