iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed Addition

Started by scleigh, May 28, 2017, 10:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

Well, as everyone knows, a building is never big enough. My sawing / drying shed was 100' x 18' and I wanted to add a slabbing mill, so I ended up adding another 22' opening and decided to go with a Thomas Bandmill 4420

I've a Hemlock on the mill that has a 30" butt and swells to 42" at the crotch. I'll find out in the morning how the mill saws.

Bruno of NH

I have a thomas
Would like to see more pics of this new mill please
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

That mill is a long ways from home.  ;D
I have no idea what the 4420 is.I just saw them a few weeks ago at a show.
I see you got the no flex track. And I think the 20hp motor.
Your logs stops go straight up and down. I marked some inch marks on mine. 3-4-6 and so on. Comes in handy when swing flitches. Like 4 inches is really 3½ and 6 is 5½ inches. This way when I set them I know I have a ½ inch to clear them.
Nice shed too. We'll talk about snow load later.  :D   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Savannahdan

Nice mill, nice sheds and nice log.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Bruno of NH

Does the mill have power feed ?
I can't find any info about the new mill on the net
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scleigh

Bruno, the  mill  does  have  power  feed. There's nothing on the Thomas  site about the mill.  I had been talking to Jon about building a mill to cut 60" and he mentioned this mill. I just don't come across  many 5' wide logs.
Ray, I know you guys up North  give  us a hard time about  snow  load, but we might get 5 " a year, so the 1"-12" metal shed truss makes for a nice easy build.

scsmith42

Very nice looking operation!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Bruno of NH

Can you take some pics of the power feed
I want to call Jon and see if my mill can be fitted with one

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

thecfarm

I forgot about the power feed. And lift. I betcha it can be added to yours. It's very simple,does that not surprize ya? It's a pivot with a small 8 inch pneumatic tire with a electric motor.The tire runs on the no flex track. Seem like Jon said it only adds $400 to the mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

I talked with Jon this morning and the power feed will work on my mill 8)
He said he would send me some pix of the set up but haven't got them yet.
I would like to see some
I would just trade up to the bigger mill but can't do it yet I want an edger first

scleigh

@BrunoofNH  , I'll get you a picture in the morning. I got home late from work and forgot about it.

tburch

How is that 4420 working?  I just got off the phone with Jon and he told me about it, and this thread.  I'm considering one.  Not too familiar with Thomas mills though. 
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Bruno of NH

The Thomas Mills are well built the frame is very strong.
I like mine the only thing they need to pick up the quality on the paint job.
The paint on my band wheel covers is coming of in sheets :(

scleigh

Tburch, I've only sawn one big hemlock with the Thomas and it did a good job. I hope to saw a few big pecan and oak logs with it next week, so that will be a real test.
Bruno, Sorry I forgot the pic of the power feed, I'll try to get one tomorrow.

123maxbars

That is one nice set up.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

scleigh

Bruno, here's a pic of the power feed. Sorry it took me so long.

Here's the wheel that runs along the frame to move the head.

Here;s the hemlock I cut a few weeks ago, 38" at the crotch

Sorry for the sideways pics, never had that happen before.

tburch

Can you take a video of the power feed in operation?  Interesting they drive a wheel to move the frame.  Most manufacturers use a roller chain.  Is there spring tension holding the wheel against the frame? 

Thanks!  Todd
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

thecfarm

tburch,I saw that in action at the Bangor show.
Kinda hard to see it,there is a handle just above the electric motor. It's black. I would guess about 3 feet high??You push that against the frame and you are in motion.

scleigh

I havent hooked up the wiring to the power feed yet, so I havent used it.
I will mainly be using the  Thomas for slabbing and breaking down bigger logs, not sure when I'll get around to using the power feed. I use power feed on my LT 28 and was surprised how  easily the Thomas rolled along the track.

Bruno of NH

Just got a call from Thomas Bandsaw Mills with an offer to repaint my blade guard covers.
They said just bring them up and they would take care of it.
Can't kick on that service :)

Magicman

It also shows that the sponsors are keeping a sharp watch out for their customers.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tburch

Kudos to them.  I actually emailed them the other day (long email, tons of questions), with one question asking about paint failure, per this thread, so good on them! 

So, you're welcome Bruno!  Glad you'll be getting new paint.   

@thecfarm - I see the handle now - didn't really notice it before.   Thanks for pointing it out.  Operation makes sense.

Thank You Sponsors!