iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ticks and more ticks

Started by thecfarm, May 28, 2017, 07:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

Bring back DDT and you will not have problems with ticks. Why didn't you have a problem with ticks in the 50's, 60's, 70's...DDT killed them off. No more mass spraying and the little buggers come back in force. Look up "ghost moose" some of them will have 70,000+ ticks on them, killing 70%+ of moose calfs in Maine.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

SwampDonkey

The, so called 'winter tick', is actually what we call the moose mite (Dermacentor albipictus) on the moose here.  They probably should be called ticks, rather then mites, since mites are microscopic mostly. The 'winter tick' does not attack humans.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stoneyacrefarm

I have been carrying around a therma cell the last few weeks to keep the flies and Mosquitos at bay while working on my fencing project.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I have not had a tick on me in weeks.
I've been walking thru the tall grass running electric fence and haven't had one on me.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on July 05, 2017, 10:07:45 AM
I have been carrying around a therma cell the last few weeks to keep the flies and Mosquitos at bay while working on my fencing project.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I have not had a tick on me in weeks.
I've been walking thru the tall grass running electric fence and haven't had one on me.

is this what you use?
https://www.thermacell.com/products/mosquito-repellents/portable-repellers/mr450-repeller
"let the machines do the work"

Greyhound

Long pants tucked in and long sleeves go a long way.  With the newer breathable fabrics, this isn't completely insane in summer. 
Check your body every day. 
Permethrin is a wonderful product.  It's based on a natural insect poison found in chrysanthemums and engineered to last longer.  Spray it on clothes and it lasts >20 washings.  A little goes a long way.  Plain old DEET works great too, but you have to reply.  Either of these is better for the environment than diesel fuel.
The best tick control we have found is free-ranging chickens.  We live an area with lots of ticks and LOTS of them are infected with Lyme and other tick-born diseases.  Once we got a small flock of chickens, we almost never get ticks on us.

Stoneyacrefarm

DDW
Yes.
That is what I have.
Works great for Mosquitos and black flies.
Like I said earlier about the ticks.
Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

We have close to 200 free range chickens too!!
Lots of fox and coyote problems go with them.   :D :D :D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

two tired

Put sulphur in cuff of pants seems to discourage ticks from getting on you
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Bruno of NH

I had never seen a tick untill 6 years ago .
I pull 6 or 8 off the dog every day and some off me . It's bad this year I seen a snapping turtle with tics all over it
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Stoneyacrefarm

We were recommended these new flea and tick collars by our local vet.
Since putting them on the dogs we haven't seen a tick on them in a couple weeks.
The collars are made by Seresto.
They work like a charm.  :)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

ESFted

Anybody have a recipe for a DIY spray for the yard and area surrounding house and garage?  I've heard that Dawn dish soap and vinegar mixed with water will work, but haven't seen any specific formulas.  My son has been laid up with Lyme for the last couple of weeks. Need to establish a defensible perimeter safe for kids/dogs.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

florida

We were at Gettysburg Sunday and were warned that the ticks were terrible this year. The guy who told me this stopped talking, reached over and got one off my shirt collar. I'm sure we have them in Florida but they aren't a problem usually.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

nativewolf

Quote from: ESFted on July 06, 2017, 09:51:47 AM
Anybody have a recipe for a DIY spray for the yard and area surrounding house and garage?  I've heard that Dawn dish soap and vinegar mixed with water will work, but haven't seen any specific formulas.  My son has been laid up with Lyme for the last couple of weeks. Need to establish a defensible perimeter safe for kids/dogs.

You need to not use a "do it yourself" solution.  They will not work.  The know working solutions used by the US military and others are:
DEET, prevents by repelling but requires daily application and is best on clothing, it will keep them away.
Pyrethrin - recommended.  Can be sprayed on the yard, may be good for 2-4 months, best if sprayed on clothing kids wear in the yard, spray per recommendation of product, usually you spray it and let it dry overnight and then it does it's thing.  Pyrethrin is the chemical you are looking for but is the only one. 

For the dogs it is possible to put on a good collar such as Seresto by Bayer.  Lasts 8 months and they will have no fleas or ticks.  However, don't let the kids sleep with the dog (no dogs in bed at night) as the chemicals in the collar are not for us humans. 

You have ticks because of deer/rabbits/mice.  Remove those as you can and you will greatly reduce/eliminate the life cycle of the ticks.  Read up on tick life cycles and you will understand how to do this. 
Liking Walnut

Briankinley2004

I sprayed around my mill and yard with Demon pesticide from Tractor Supply. I used the two pack per gallon strength. A little pricey but seems to have worked. Also killed all he millipedes and spiders my wife hates

plantman

I think you might mean "permethrin". That's the chemical insecticide perhaps derived from pyrethrin . https://www.hunker.com/12224525/pyrethrin-vs-permethrin

Quote from: nativewolf on July 06, 2017, 10:47:01 AM

You need to not use a "do it yourself" solution.  They will not work.  The know working solutions used by the US military and others are:
DEET, prevents by repelling but requires daily application and is best on clothing, it will keep them away.
Pyrethrin - recommended.  Can be sprayed on the yard, may be good for 2-4 months, best if sprayed on clothing kids wear in the yard, spray per recommendation of product, usually you spray it and let it dry overnight and then it does it's thing.  Pyrethrin is the chemical you are looking for but is the only one. 

For the dogs it is possible to put on a good collar such as Seresto by Bayer.  Lasts 8 months and they will have no fleas or ticks.  However, don't let the kids sleep with the dog (no dogs in bed at night) as the chemicals in the collar are not for us humans. 

You have ticks because of deer/rabbits/mice.  Remove those as you can and you will greatly reduce/eliminate the life cycle of the ticks.  Read up on tick life cycles and you will understand how to do this.

nativewolf

Quote from: plantman on July 09, 2017, 10:28:08 PM
I think you might mean "permethrin". That's the chemical insecticide perhaps derived from pyrethrin . https://www.hunker.com/12224525/pyrethrin-vs-permethrin

Quote from: nativewolf on July 06, 2017, 10:47:01 AM

However it should be spelled, yes, that's what I mean.  That's effective and safe and long lasting.  Triple bonus and that's hard to get.  With ticks...well you need to be careful. 
Liking Walnut

plantman

It's good that everyone is talking about this subject because everyone needs to be aware that ticks carry a number of serious illnesses.
But here's something most people don't know. Mice carry the ticks. The reason mice carry them is because mice don't clean the ticks off like a cat would clean it's fur. A single mouse could have 50 ticks on it.  So get rid of the mice.
Deer ticks are the really really small ticks. Wood ticks are larger. I know the deer ticks carry Lyme but I'm not sure if the wood ticks carry also.
I found a great trick for getting rid of mice. Take a spackle bucket and fill halfway with water, then float sunflower seeds on the surface and place the bucket next to something that allows the mice to reach the bucket edge. The mice (and chipmunks) will jump in to get the seed and drown. Works really well.
Permethrin is a relatively safe insecticide labeled for spraying clothing and farm animals. I suppose it would be ok for pets as well. It's sold at Site One Landscape Supply and Tractor Supply. Pretty inexpensive. Site One also sells cedar oil insecticide which is more expensive but effective.
I've got a relative with Lyme disease so I try to learn as much as possible. What I hear is that these ticks are exploding in population and you don't have to be a backwoodsman to get ticks on you so stay safe and stay aware.

Chuck White

We got a 3-pack of spray cans labeled REPEL at Walmart last year!

REPEL contains PERMETHRIN, the prime ingredient to ward off ticks!

I just spray it around my pants cuffs whenever I'm headed for the woods, even the woods just behind my backyard!

Must work because I haven't had a tick in 2 years!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

plantman is right on the bucket idea. I work in a hardware store and we sell grain. Mice we can control,them chipmucks are hard to get rid of. We use a 5 gallon bucket with a 2x4 for a ramp. Works wonderful.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

I attract the chipmonks with sunflower seed for a few days then put out the Farmers Bucket Mousetrap . I then feed the chipmunk to the lazy cats .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

I saw this little tick removal "tool" in the LL Bean store today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plantman

I watched a number of videos on tick removal. Most suggest using a sharp pointed tweezer to grab the tick as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight out with a gentle but persuasive pulling motion. I also saw one where they put a few drop of peppermint oil on the tick and in a few moments the tick let go and tried to get away. They say that you don't want to aggravate the tick and cause it to secrete more toxin into you.
I thought of another way that might work. Spray the tick with Freeze Off bolt removal spray ! I'm not sure about that , just an idea.

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2017, 05:29:00 PM

I saw this little tick removal "tool" in the LL Bean store today.

coxy

the wart freeze stuff may work also 

plantman

Yep and butane lighter fluid . I think doctors use liquid nitrogen.

plantman

If you buy permethrin at a landscape supply store or perhaps Tractor Supply it's very inexpensive in a concentrate form , cheap enough to spray your whole yard once a month. Good for chinch bugs in the lawn also !

dgdrls

Little devils have elevated the outcome,
You absolutely have to be prepared before
and check after you're outside.   

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Saratoga-County-resident-with-Powassan-virus-dies-11283838.php

I was out earlier this week for work and the
Fed' inspectors are starting to use
leg gaiters with repellent as an extra layer of protection.
I have a one piece coverall treated with permethrin

be careful and take care.

D

Thank You Sponsors!