The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: ticks and more ticks  (Read 2595 times)

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: ticks and more ticks
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 10:43:44 pm »
It's good that everyone is talking about this subject because everyone needs to be aware that ticks carry a number of serious illnesses.
But here's something most people don't know. Mice carry the ticks. The reason mice carry them is because mice don't clean the ticks off like a cat would clean it's fur. A single mouse could have 50 ticks on it.  So get rid of the mice.
Deer ticks are the really really small ticks. Wood ticks are larger. I know the deer ticks carry Lyme but I'm not sure if the wood ticks carry also.
I found a great trick for getting rid of mice. Take a spackle bucket and fill halfway with water, then float sunflower seeds on the surface and place the bucket next to something that allows the mice to reach the bucket edge. The mice (and chipmunks) will jump in to get the seed and drown. Works really well.
Permethrin is a relatively safe insecticide labeled for spraying clothing and farm animals. I suppose it would be ok for pets as well. It's sold at Site One Landscape Supply and Tractor Supply. Pretty inexpensive. Site One also sells cedar oil insecticide which is more expensive but effective.
I've got a relative with Lyme disease so I try to learn as much as possible. What I hear is that these ticks are exploding in population and you don't have to be a backwoodsman to get ticks on you so stay safe and stay aware.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 11:32:02 pm »
We got a 3-pack of spray cans labeled REPEL at Walmart last year!

REPEL contains PERMETHRIN, the prime ingredient to ward off ticks!

I just spray it around my pants cuffs whenever I'm headed for the woods, even the woods just behind my backyard!

Must work because I haven't had a tick in 2 years!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 06:59:31 am »
plantman is right on the bucket idea. I work in a hardware store and we sell grain. Mice we can control,them chipmucks are hard to get rid of. We use a 5 gallon bucket with a 2x4 for a ramp. Works wonderful.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 07:41:23 am »
I attract the chipmonks with sunflower seed for a few days then put out the Farmers Bucket Mousetrap . I then feed the chipmunk to the lazy cats .
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 05:29:00 pm »

I saw this little tick removal "tool" in the LL Bean store today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 07:01:28 pm »
I watched a number of videos on tick removal. Most suggest using a sharp pointed tweezer to grab the tick as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight out with a gentle but persuasive pulling motion. I also saw one where they put a few drop of peppermint oil on the tick and in a few moments the tick let go and tried to get away. They say that you don't want to aggravate the tick and cause it to secrete more toxin into you.
I thought of another way that might work. Spray the tick with Freeze Off bolt removal spray ! I'm not sure about that , just an idea.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
I saw this little tick removal "tool" in the LL Bean store today.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 10:32:43 pm »
the wart freeze stuff may work also 

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 10:59:47 pm »
Yep and butane lighter fluid . I think doctors use liquid nitrogen.

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 11:04:13 pm »
If you buy permethrin at a landscape supply store or perhaps Tractor Supply it's very inexpensive in a concentrate form , cheap enough to spray your whole yard once a month. Good for chinch bugs in the lawn also !

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2017, 08:51:49 am »
Little devils have elevated the outcome,
You absolutely have to be prepared before
and check after you're outside.   

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Saratoga-County-resident-with-Powassan-virus-dies-11283838.php

I was out earlier this week for work and the
Fed' inspectors are starting to use
leg gaiters with repellent as an extra layer of protection.
I have a one piece coverall treated with permethrin

be careful and take care.

D

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2017, 08:53:23 am »
Yes ticks are very bad this year !
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2017, 08:58:16 pm »
Talked with a friend today who suggested that after pulling a tick it's helpful to wash the area with hydrogen peroxide. Also suggested colloidal silver to fight infection and turmeric to fight inflammation if you have lyme. I believe all these treatments have a good track record of helping. Of course antibiotics are still necessary.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2017, 11:10:06 am »
 I've been starting to find the little "seed" ticks here and there. Other than that, the ticks haven't been too bad lately after the earlier bad round we had around here. I've been avoiding the woods some lately so that may be why I haven't seen as many though.
-Sawmill- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener
-Saws- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque, 455 Rancher X-Torque, a few Stihls
-Wood haulers- Kioti DK45 w/FEL, '92 Dodge Cummins with bale/dump bed, '07 Honda Rancher 420

Offline runmca

• I'm new!
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2017, 12:27:01 pm »
I got bit twice so far this year. The last one was a deer tick in the nymph stage, very tiny. After three weeks got the bulls-eye rash, no other symptoms. Just finished antibiotics last week. I've been trail running for many years and never got bit until this year. I've read there may be a correlation between Japanese barberry and the increase in ticks. There is so much barberry around the trails I frequent, I'm wondering if that could be why.

Offline LakeAngler

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »
I have used tick tubes with reasonable success. Has anyone else tried tick tubes?

You can purchase tick tubes or they are pretty easy to make for the do it yourself-er with paper towel rolls, cotton balls and Permethrin. You soak the cotton balls in the Permethrin and then stuff the cotton balls in the paper towel rolls. Then spread the paper towel rolls around the perimeter of your property 10 to 20 feet apart. Mice find the cotton balls and haul them back to their nest. Nests are a common place for ticks to find an easy meal. Once the ticks cross paths with the Permethrin they die. I dropped a number of tubes around my property in the spring. I haven't come across a tick all year so far.

One important note - Read the safety label on the Permethrin container. Permethrin can be toxic for cats.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2017, 07:50:28 pm »
I have not had a tick on me for a while now. I roam around on 170 acres,so hard to control that many acres.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #56 on: Today at 10:54:58 am »
 The little seed ticks are out in full force here now. I got probably over a hundred on me when I was checking fence over the weekend. Here's one that bit me on the thumb this morning. Not sure if I picked it up in the yard or what.  >:(

-Sawmill- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener
-Saws- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque, 455 Rancher X-Torque, a few Stihls
-Wood haulers- Kioti DK45 w/FEL, '92 Dodge Cummins with bale/dump bed, '07 Honda Rancher 420