iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying different board lengths

Started by davidmw, December 29, 2017, 07:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidmw

I'm pretty well brand new to all this, so excuse my ignorance. What I'm wondering, is what differences are there in the way the woods acts while drying different lengths? If I cut some boards and want some 16' x1" stock, I'm figuring there is more chance of a longer board warping/crowning than say an 8, 10 or even 12?? Is there anything different I need to do, or just cut stack and dry it all the same? I'd like to slab some too. Should I cut longer slabs thicker? From what I've read its a no brainer to air dry for a year before putting it inside a kiln or dry room. I'm just kind of assuming I'll have more fits with longer boards regardless. I'm curious on how big a difference it could be or if there is much at all....
Woodland Mills hm126, Stihl ms441, Husqvarna 455, Echo cs500, Echo271, Massey gc1710 tractor, Woodmaster Belt sander, Shop Fox Molder, Dewalt planer, Jet Table saws, Milwaukee routers. The fun is just beginning.....

WDH

You can get more bow in longer boards.  If you sticker them on 16" or less centers, start with a level foundation, and make sure that your stickers all line up and are in line with the base of the foundation, You can successfully dry the longer boards.  That is more important than the length of the boards.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Excellent advice and happy birthday to WDH.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Thank you, young Whippersnapper  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Happy birthday Danny but I have 3 years on you . I have some quilted fire wood that I am splitting tomorrow . Bring your trailer, it's free and it will keep you warm.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!