iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tornado damage and trees in Canton Tx

Started by TheRedGoat, May 25, 2017, 11:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRedGoat

I am new here, and a friend with a mill in WA state advised me to join and ask my questions here.  I posted in another forum here, but I am not sure if I asked in the right place.

I own 20 acres in Canton, Texas.  We had a tornado about 30 days ago.  I had more than 100 trees blown over.  These trees are sweetgum, elm and oak (2 varieties).

One of the oaks fell across an internal road on the property and was ring-aged at 114 to 140 years old.

The sweetgums vary in width from 18in at the base to almost 6 feet in diameter. I have 75ft tall oaks with 3-4ft diameter bases.

I am a former woodshop teacher and I believe these logs have a value above 'pulp' and 'firewood.  I think there must be someone out there who would be interested in making large banquet tables, mantel pieces, very long and wide timbers and beams from this.

Can anyone here give me some advice on who to call that might want to do more than just turn the wood to pulp or firewood?

I teach school.  I don't have big trucks, trailers, sleds, etc.

I believe I have 100s of tons of wood that would make table tops, benches, mantels, timber that would be signature pieces.

I have neighbors with many more trees that would also be interested in an option other than brushpiles, pulp wood and firewood.

Email, plz

TRG

I have tried calling local mills (none in Canton according to Google).

Ljohnsaw

Being new here, you might not have access to it yet but there is a directory of the member's locations on the forum.  Perhaps there is someone with a portable mill close to you that could process your wood?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

coxy

I'm no help to you but welcome to the FF

Weekend_Sawyer

I would contact your county extension services and see if they have a forester available.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us posted.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!