iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbosaw slabber

Started by xlogger, May 25, 2017, 07:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

After 3 or 4 months and bypass surgery I finally got a log under the Turbosaw. Cut one slab off a 34" poplar log and then a thunder storm came up so that was it for today. Sure didn't go as fast as it did with Frank "Seaman" when I went and watch him run his slabber a few months ago but I guess it went oK for the first time. After I run it awhile I'll give a review on it.

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Percy

Nice. Glad you got your pump :D and the slabber working. That big knot reminds me of Jupiter's eye....Very cool.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodworker9

Quote from: Percy on May 27, 2017, 12:34:25 AM
Nice. Glad you got your pump :D and the slabber working. That big knot reminds me of Jupiter's eye....Very cool.

The Big Red Spot! 

Glad you are feeling better....
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

SkyDoc

I JUST got off the phone with Mike in Spokane about this exact subject. I will be following your review and opinions closely.

Did you opt for the larger engine or automation?

Doc
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

Savannahdan

Nice to have the slabber attachment.  I need one for my Lucas mill but will have to use the Granberg mill for now. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

BigZ La

Quote from: SkyDoc on May 27, 2017, 10:54:07 AM
I JUST got off the phone with Mike in Spokane about this exact subject. I will be following your review and opinions closely.

Did you opt for the larger engine or automation?

Doc

Hurry up and get you one, I've got a couple of big logs in waiting. Need some slabs bad.  :D

xlogger

We finish up the poplar Friday. It took 4 hours, longer than I thought. But keep in mind this was my first log and lots of looking and thinking. On the HP 13 is as low as I think it should be. Really 20 plus would be better. But on the turbo saw that much weight on the side you would have to have some kind of counter weight on the blade side to keep bar close to level. I know they say being level is not critical but I do want it close, you might want to cut large cookies or for some reason you might have to turn the log over. if the log moves I would think you would have to turn it.
Going back to a larger engine, I think Jake will have to look at that in the future. For someone that not looking at good production 13 is fine. I would like to think I'm a little more than a back yard guy and want to finish up as fast as I can.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

NZJake

Hi xlogger,

How many slabs were recovered from that one log? I'd like to figure out what your feed rate was? Also log length and diameter.

When we did our tests here I found the hp quote sufficient with similar width logs. From my experience an excessive of hp was used with other designs. I actually liked the fact you could here the motor bog down as if the hp was actually being used according to the load.

Poplar logs from first hand experience in Germany can really blunt your chain quick especially if the log had been cut very low. Frequent sharpens are required. Also pending on the fibre you may be better suited to reducing your bar angle to 90deg so as to cross cut the fibre reducing friction build up. There are subtle differences between species but Poplar can be extremely difficult to work with at times. Especially mature trees.

You might also consider the tooth angle. Just a little more aggressive.

I found I had to sharpen the circle blade every 20 or so boards.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

nativewolf

nz jake, when he says poplar he actually is referring to a Liriodendron Tulipifera, a species in the Magnolia family.  The common name is often Poplar, Yellow Poplar, Tulip Tree.  They are fast growing and large.  Common to find them at 1 meter in diameter and 30+ meters tall with very slow taper.  The only problem is that they are not structurally as strong as our Southern Yellow Pine family.  So, they get relegated to other uses.  Neat tree.

Liking Walnut

xlogger

We got eleven 2 1\4" slabs 8 ft long with the largest around 38". Timed one of the last cuts at 7 1\2 minute. Used same chain without sharpening, probably mistake but cutting straight.

Thank You Sponsors!