iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gnats

Started by Magicman, May 25, 2017, 05:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After customsawyer's "Project" last week there were many comments concerning the gnats.

OK, this may sound strange, but it will keep those biting gnats away.

Yes, I know that it is "suntan lotion", but there is something in it that does not agree with gnats.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

The old dog butt gnats I grew up with did not bite. They just flew straight from the dog to your nose or mouth. Are these gnats or sandflies like you find along the coast? Those were famous at the Parris Island USMC recruit depot. They always knew when there was going to be a parade and exactly when morning and evening colors would play and everyone would be standing at attention and they could get a free meal.

We used Avon Skin so Soft cut with water or alcohol and I am wondering if your sunscreen may have the same ingredient.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

We have them here now and they are annoying. My wife gets a bad reaction from the bites. I will have to try that and see if it works on Northern Gnats. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jwilly3879

Black Fly season is in full swing here in the Adirondacks. Yesterday I was outside for a few hours and counted 21 bites just on my forearms. Fortunately I have developed some resistance to the bites no longer swell up or itch. Others in town look like they were hit with birdshot. Nothing seems to keep them at bay.

Texas Ranger

Down here we have some hump back little devils we call buffalo gnats, raise a whelp, and painful.  need to try that stuff
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Briankinley2004

I will have to try that when they start back in the marsh. Victoria's Secret amber romance spray works good for a while

nativewolf

The only cure I knew of for gnats/flies was cigar smoke.  If you were smoking a stoggie when cruising you were not getting bitten.
Liking Walnut

Raider Bill

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on May 25, 2017, 09:43:06 PM
I will have to try that when they start back in the marsh. Victoria's Secret amber romance spray works good for a while
Meet Amber!
smiley_gorgeous smiley_gorgeous smiley_gorgeous smiley_gorgeous
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

:D :D :D    I put a little diesel on my hat and it helps

Peter Drouin

What will eat a Gnat? Frogs??
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

grouch

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 26, 2017, 09:21:08 PM
What will eat a Gnat? Frogs??
People. Voluntarily or not.
Find something to do that interests you.

WV Sawmiller

Bats, Purple martins, Chimney swifts and possibly a few other such birds (Yeah - Okay I know a bat is not a bird but he does eat bugs).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

never finished

Vanilla Fantasy body spray. Took a long time and a lot of bites to figure that one out. Pretty funny watching a crew of 10 or so men getting out of their trucks, and spraying down with body spray. My grand son still won't use it. I tell him I don't care if I smell like a girl I don't like feeding my ears to gnats.   

thecfarm

Vanilla Fantasy body spray?Is that put out by walmart? Don't have grits grats this for North,but those black flies I would like to slow them down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

never finished

That's where we first found it. They don't handle it here any more. The last I bought was on the net. Can't remember the makers name. I still have half a bottle but can't make out any of the label. Sorry

Chuck White

I put up 16 (I think) birdhouses, around my yard and most of them are occupied by Tree Swallows, and Eastern Bluebirds!

They help to keep the bug population down around the house and yard!   ;)

We can actually sit out on the back deck without bug concerns!   8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crusarius

I have peppermint, spearmint, and catnip planted all over the place around my house. usually does a real good job keeping the bugs away. unfortunately it only helps at home.

limbwood

Goop hand cleaner works good for gnats.

grouch

Quote from: Crusarius on May 31, 2017, 07:45:12 AM
I have peppermint, spearmint, and catnip planted all over the place around my house. usually does a real good job keeping the bugs away. unfortunately it only helps at home.

Make some mint tea to smear on your hat, etc.?
Find something to do that interests you.

Crusarius

hmm wonder how well that would work.

Deese

They didn't bite, they just get in your eyes and ears.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

WV Sawmiller

Deese,

That is the kind I remember, grew up with and mostly what we have here. I think people answering this thread are mixing 2-3 kinds as some bite and other do not.
Howard Green

Deese

MM, I believe that's the same stuff Ga Mtn Man had in his truck and let me borrow some. Whatever it was, it worked better than the OFF I was using.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

WDH

In your eyes, your nose, and your ears.  All at the same time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Biting or non-biting, Banana Boat works.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!