ford 6.2

Started by coxy, May 25, 2017, 07:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

gas what is that compared to in the older motors a 360-390

Weekend_Sawyer

6.2l converts to 378ci so closer to the 390.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

coxy

well I towed my skid steer with it today lots of power but I hate the tranny the way it shifts with the t/h button in step on the brake a few times and next thing your in first gear with the rpms at 6k not good for a new truck but hey brake it in or brake it down right  :D

21incher

My 5.4 will run at 6K all day. I just have to hope the spark plugs don't blow out. smiley_sweat_drop
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coxy

what are you guys getting for mpg on the 6.2 towing and just driving around like town or off highway on 2 lane roads  I averaged 12 with my first tank of gas only 44 miles of highway the rest was 2 lane and dirt road and towed my 10klb skid steer 18miles on dirt road   the truck has 14k on it so its not the very first tank of gas just my first tank  ;D

Firewoodjoe

I know this is old but I'm still investigating knew trucks and was looking at the 19-20 super duty's. Prolly will be the 2020 by the time I convince myself. So I searched for 6.2 info and this was the only thread. Anything knew to add? Mpg how many miles you got now or have heard. I'd like to run it to 300,000. It will be new so all me driving. 

sprucebunny

I'd like to know owner's experience also. I'm looking to buy an older one.

I found some info looking at 'fuely' but there is not much commentary to go with thier numbers.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

90k+ miles on my 2012 model SD.  The mpg is sorta stuck on the 12.6 that it gets towing the sawmill, 5th wheel, and with the truck camper loaded @~65 mph.  It will do ~15+mpg unloaded, but that is not the way I normally travel.  Unloaded it will gradually creep up, but then when I add the load, it settles back to it's 12.6.  My tachometer very rarely ever sees over 3k rpm and has never been anywhere close to 5-6k rpm.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowstorm

just buy a 6.7 and be done with it. all the power you can use and then some. a engine brake that works pretty good. if under 60 mph it will get 19 to 20 mpg. i have 3 of them and all have been good. some of the emission parts can be a problem. because of that the warranty has been extended on some parts to 11 yrs 120000 miles

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Magicman on March 14, 2020, 06:21:54 PM
90k+ miles on my 2012 model SD.  The mpg is sorta stuck on the 12.6 that it gets towing the sawmill, 5th wheel, and with the truck camper loaded @~65 mph.  It will do ~15+mpg unloaded, but that is not the way I normally travel.  Unloaded it will gradually creep up, but then when I add the load, it settles back to it's 12.6.  My tachometer very rarely ever sees over 3k rpm and has never been anywhere close to 5-6k rpm.
That's pretty good mpgs. I was expecting 10-11 most of the time. I won't be buying a diesel. 

snowstorm

everyone i know with the 6.2 likes it. if you want big power the new 7.3 gas is it

Firewoodjoe

Yes I've considered the 7.3 and ten speed but it's new so we'll see what reputation it gets. I only tow occasionally. Well my camper but that's only 5500 or so pounds. Otherwise it will have 2-3000 pounds of stuff in it all the time. Tools fuel and saws ect. 

alan gage

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 14, 2020, 06:08:16 PM
I'd like to know owner's experience also. I'm looking to buy an older one.

I found some info looking at 'fuely' but there is not much commentary to go with thier numbers.
We don't see a lot of them since the 5.4 is the more common engine but overall we've seen very few problems with them. That being said we just put an engine in one this last week. Came in with low power and the timing was off. Pulled the front cover and found a broken timing chain guide. Was going to be a routine repair until we pulled the chains and found the passenger side camshaft very hard to turn. Pulled the cam and found all the bearings wiped out.
At a minimum it was going to be a cylinder head to repair it but it must have been a lack of oil that ruined the bearings and you're left wondering what other hidden damage may be in the motor. The customer elected to install a used engine with 60k (truck has 125k). We're assuming the engine had been run low on oil at some point but it could have been something else. 
If I was buying a used Ford truck with some power that's the engine I'd be looking for. Not knocking the diesel but I'm a gas man, it's what I know.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

DbltreeBelgians

I have a super duty on order right now. Should arrive any day. Was scheduled to be built last Monday March 9th at Kentucky truck plant.
I already have a 97 7.3  PowerStroke F-350 so i opted for the 6.2 gas 
F-250. We'll see how the power and mileage is soon.

Brent

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: DbltreeBelgians on March 16, 2020, 12:48:29 AM
I have a super duty on order right now. Should arrive any day. Was scheduled to be built last Monday March 9th at Kentucky truck plant.

Brent
Good for you. Please let me know what you think of it. I'm also curious was it higher or lower than the msrp? I don't need details or a number lol  ive never bought or even checked on a new truck. 

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 16, 2020, 05:29:08 AM
Quote from: DbltreeBelgians on March 16, 2020, 12:48:29 AM

Brent
Good for you. Please let me know what you think of it. I'm also curious was it higher or lower than the msrp? I don't need details or a number lol  ive never bought or even checked on a new truck.
Much lower. I wasn't looking to order a new truck but my dealer couldn't locate a truck in stock anywhere in the US that met the specs I was looking for except one in Durango Colorado. We called and checked on availability and it was still available. Then my dealer mentioned doing a dealer trade to them and all of a sudden it was no longer available. Hmmm?
Knowing the costs to get that truck to Ohio was going to be substantial I asked the sales manager to quote me a 2020 as close to identical as the one in Durango. Cost difference was minimal considering what it would cost to ship or me fly out and drive it home so I opted for having a truck built.
We'll see how things go soon I guess.
Brent

firefighter ontheside

We have a 2019 F350 at the firehouse which is my duty vehicle.  It has the 6.2 and is perfectly adequate.  Have to push pretty hard on the gas to accelerate up a hill.  It seems very noisy to me.  I have the same truck with a 6.7 and there's no comparison.  My truck is much quieter and tons more power, but the 6.7 is like a $10,000 option.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 16, 2020, 10:29:54 AM
We have a 2019 F350 at the firehouse which is my duty vehicle.  It has the 6.2 and is perfectly adequate.  Have to push pretty hard on the gas to accelerate up a hill.  It seems very noisy to me.  I have the same truck with a 6.7 and there's no comparison.  My truck is much quieter and tons more power, but the 6.7 is like a $10,000 option.
I already have a 7.3 PowerStroke in an OBS (97) that is my workhorse truck so I didn't see the need for another diesel.
This truck will be fine for my needs.

Brent

snowstorm

i dont see any gas motor getting 12mpg towing a 5th wheel camper at 65mph my 5th weight is 13000 with my 6.7 it will do 12mpg at 55 to 60. set the cruise at 75 and it going to drop.

Magicman

My 23' 5th wheel's dry weight is 5300.  LINK  I went back and see that when towing it the actual mpg is 11.7.  My 12.6 figures towing the sawmill and hauling the truck camper are correct.

My normal "comfortable" traveling speed towing, etc. is 65.  Slower than that increases the mpg and I have not tried faster.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Firewoodjoe

I tow at the most once a month. Summer twice a month with a 5500 pound camper. And I never drive 65. Seldom drive express way. I'm going to order with the low rear gears just for that reason. I want torque and back rd stop and go driving. That new ten speed has 3 overdrives! I don't see where that would work anywhere but flat ground 80mph. My truck is a 1996 5.8 3 speed and I get 12-14 and does all I want. You can't even find a plain truck anymore. Even the work trucks. Cab chassis all have the chrome bumpers and electric windows and locks. Those two alone are $2000 then a diesel is 10,000. That's a lot of gas when it's already .50 cheaper and not counting maintenance. Winter weather ect. I'm getting gas with I hope the 4.30 gear. 

snowstorm

last i knew the 10 sp did not come with the 6.2. and the 6sp has 2 overdrives. a plain xl would not have power windows unless it has the value plus package. i still cant believe anyone could get 12mpg towing a camper its not the weight its the wind resistance  

bodagocreek2

The key word is the size. Magicman"s trailor is 23 feet long. Put  35 to 40 foot, 13,000 lb. behind and a decent wind and you are down to 8/9 mpg. gas or diesel.

Magicman

Also driving habits.  I never use the cruise control when towing, and drive 65 on flat land.  Speed up going downhill and sorta coast and loose speed on the other side.

I looked back and see where I got 13.0 with the truck camper on a "Pig Roast" trip.  This past year's Vancouver Island and Hyder AK trip was 12.6 with the TC. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: snowstorm on March 18, 2020, 06:28:45 AM
last i knew the 10 sp did not come with the 6.2. and the 6sp has 2 overdrives. a plain xl would not have power windows unless it has the value plus package. i still cant believe anyone could get 12mpg towing a camper its not the weight its the wind resistance  
If u build and price one on fords web site it comes with 6.2 and 10 speed. U have to select 6 speed or 7.3 or 6.7. And yes looking at al xl trucks most come with the power package and chrome bumpers. There out there but not many with black bumpers and now power windows. Then if u do find one they have something like gps tracking or strobe light kit for commercial use. And I dont even need 2 overdrives lol