4 CYL Diesel Pickup

Started by red, May 25, 2017, 07:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

I noticed a Chevy Colorado Duramax Diesel pickup. They have a 4 cyl Duramax Diesel that claims 30 mpg. Also a gas V8 Colorado. Guess I have been out of the loop.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

coxy

a friend has the 4c diesel and its great that thing has power to burn and gets over 30 mpg

paul case

The previous to that for chevy was the luv pickup available with a 4 cyl isuzu diesel in the 80's. My dad had one that was a 5 speed manual and it must have got 50 mpg. They were held up on import on a ship out in the ocean for an extended period and the salt enviorment caused most of them to rust out badly. Dad's pickup had been painted over several times and still had rust issues, but the meter had 250xxx miles on it and it never worked while we had it. Drove it everywhere and only filled it up every 2 weeks.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Neighbor just bought one of the chevy 4 cyl diesels. They love it, over 30 mpg, plenty of power. Didn't know gm made a 4 cyl diesel. GM design or cloned izsu ?/
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

TKehl

Evidently there are Nissans with Cummins now as well.   ???
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

red

The Chevy Luv was really an Isuzu. Now it seems Isuzu has taken the Colorado and used different Diesels in other countries. The US usually has a different diesel engine. Isuzu and Chevrolet both make the cab over medium sized truck with an Isuzu 4 cyl diesel and a gas V8 available.

samandothers

I remember reading a year are so back that GM was going to put a 4 cylinder diesel in the to smaller trucks but had not seen any.  I need to look up specs and cost.  I am sure there's a pretty good bonus for the diesel.

sandhills

I didn't know the Luv ever had a diesel, a couple buddies in highschool drove them, we'd go out at lunch and carry them up on the lawn and set them between 2 trees, perfect fit  :D.

scsmith42

One of my customers has a Colorado with the diesel.  We took it to lunch a few months back and he told me that he averaged 29 mpg combined, and had gotten up to 37 mpg on the highway.

It was a nice truck and also had good power.  I'm glad to see the auto makers starting to delivery some good, diesel options in smaller vehicles in the US.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

moosehunter

Nissan made a few diesel pick ups in the 70s-80s. The engine was nearly bullet proof but the bodies like all early Nissan/Datsun looked like swiss cheese in a few short years.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

coxy

Quote from: moosehunter on May 25, 2017, 05:47:42 PM
Nissan made a few diesel pick ups in the 70s-80s. The engine was nearly bullet proof but the bodies like all early Nissan/Datsun looked like swiss cheese in a few short years.
wonder if the US is using the same steel now that they did back then that's why in a few years our cars/trucks are a rot buckets :)

thechknhwk

Chevy was supposed to put a 4.5L V8 diesel in the 1/2 tons, but when they economy tanked they shelved it.  It was supposed to be about 300hp & 500lb/ft and get around 27mpg.  I'm still waiting for that motor, it would be awesome for a tahoe/suburban.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1604-blow-off-can-the-4-5l-duramax-lmk-v-8-diesel-make-a-comeback/

Kbeitz

Jeep also to have one in a new small pickup this year.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

We had an Isuzu diesel car, must have been a late 70's, very early 80's. IIRC it was rated at 40hp. Great gas mileage but a dog to drive. I only attempted to pass once in it, it took the best part of a mile. It was getting old and was unable to climb the driveway when we moved to the mountains so I gave it to a friend to put in his early bobcat.

dgdrls

In the mid 80's you could get the S-10 with a 2.2 litre Isuzu diesel.
From what I found the Colorado diesel is a derivative of the Italian VM Motori
Diesel tinkered on by GM and assembled in Rayong, Thailand.

Nice to have a smaller diesel option, 

D

red

GM even had a V6 diesel in front wheel drive cutlass/century/regal . But there were not enough actual production numbers for it to be common. This Colorado with the V8 gas will have more power for 0-60 mph. The diesel will get a few more mpg.

screwsloose

from what i understand the 2.8 duramax has had a complete overhaul to be quieter more reliable and pass U.S. emissions. These engines have been out for several years in brazil with very few problems. The head was redesigned for U.S. emissions. I bought one a year or so ago. Pulls like a dream (for a 4cylinder). Its no 5.3 v8 although you may think it is one after pulling a heavy load. The fuel milage is what the sticker advertises. 22 city 29hwy.  Unless you wanna drive 50 mph then it is way above sticker. Pulling a 22 ft aluminum trailer i can see up to 18 with a jeep cherokee on it 14 if i push it. My silverado got 11mpg loaded 9 if i pushed it. The interior is smaller than a silverado but still very comfy.  Overall i am very happy with the truck.   

As far as the 5.3 v8 gm is not putting that engine in the colorado as of yet. I like the 5.3 and would have bought this truck with that engine if it was avaiable. I am not a fan of any v6 (do to bad engines in 80's and gasket problems in 90's-2005) so that engine was not even on the consideration list. The 5.3 is reliable but a gas hog. In a smaller truck it should get better milage. Considering how much more one pays for a diesel it would take about 200,000 miles to pay back the inital higher cost. Unless you tow alot then the better milage pays for itself in maybe 100,000 miles.

Corley5

Ford put a diesel in the Ranger way back when.  It was a Mazda built 4 cyl. Perkins clone.  I had one for a while.  It was worn out when I got it.  If the truck's body would have been in better shape it would have been worth investing a little $$$.  It sounded like a tractor 8) 8)   
  A Mitsubishi diesel replaced this engine in the Ranger lineup.
  This Colorado diesel sounds interesting :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bill m

I just heard this morning that GM is being investigated for fudging the numbers on the emissions of the diesel trucks similar to what Volkswagon did.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

red

ymmv - your mileage may vary

Ron Wenrich

I had a Toyota diesel back in the late '70s/early '80s.  They scaled down an Mack engine and stuck it in their small pick ups.  They would tear out the transmission bearings every 25k miles, so I got rid of it and went to gas.

We also had a Rabbit as a company car for the gas mileage.  Great mileage, poor performance. 

I just got rid of my 2010 VW Jetta diesel.  Loved the car, but had to trade it in due to the bad rap given to it.  Also was a pretty good deal.  We were getting about 45 mpg for an average, and would get 50 mpg on a trip.  The new Jetta is gas and we still are getting around 40 mpg. 

I wouldn't hesitate to get another diesel 4 cyl in a truck.  The technology is a lot better.  My 2005 Tacoma is starting to rust out on the frame.  It might be a good way to go.  Hope they don't tank the diesel.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Hilltop366

There is/was a recall on tacoma frames and rear leaf springs as well as a class action lawsuit, worth looking in to, perhaps you already have.

LeeB

I really wish they would sell the Toyota Hylux in the US. One tough truck. I've seen them with some incredible loads on them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Quote from: LeeB on May 28, 2017, 11:52:57 PM
I really wish they would sell the Toyota Hylux in the US. One tough truck. I've seen them with some incredible loads on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

Can't view YouTube here at work.  >:(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.