iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wave and lines in lumber

Started by Gary_B, December 17, 2004, 04:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_B

Lately I have been having problems with my 1220 mill, when I make a pass thru a log it leaves these black lines across the board and the saw seems to be bogging down towards the end of log, along with some waveness when I come to a knot, the logs are cherry and I have never had any problem sawing before, I changed the blades several times, thinking that was my problem, but no different, I tried leveling the rails, to perfection, no change, I was thinking maybe the wheels might be out, Ive owned the mill for a year now and have not made any adjustments, although I have moved the mill and soon after I set it up this problem came about, although I sawed a few logs before experiencing this problem, any suggestions out there?

Minnesota_boy

The black lines are burn marks from teeth that are rubbing but not cutting.  Do you sharpen your own blades?  Check your sharpening setup.  Try a new blade.  The lines and the waves both point to a blade that isn't sharp enough or not sharpened properly or teeth without enough set.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

beav

The black lines sound like steel on the cherry.Perhaps a shield or part of the guide is rubbing on the blade, dulling it and spewing steel dust onto the cherry. This happened to me years ago  ???

woodmills1

Are they lines? or actual indentations in the wood.  If they are indentations you have the wrong set on your teeth.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gary_B

The lines are not in the cherry it self, and I notice a dark color around the roller guides, I have changed blades several time, and the cut doesnt seem as quite as smooth as normal, If the wheels are out of line do you think that might cause the problem,? the saw is cutting like the blade has no set, but I have changed the blades often, and they are brand new, thanks for all the advice, I need it..

Tom

Look to see if the blade is riding back on the guide wheels enough to flatten the set.  Look for a place where the blade may be  hitting the frame of the mill.  Check for prior damage to the blades.(they may have been placed teeth-down on concrete.  That's not good)  Just because they are new doesn't necessarily mean that they are sharp.

Check for blade tension.  Too little tension on the band will give these symptoms also.

If all else fails, check the rake on the blades. Too aggressive a tooth in hardwood will give these symptoms, as will too short of a tooth.  It's common, even with experienced sharpeners to let the height of the tooth fall below specs.  

I would suspect dull or damaged teeth before anything else.

Gary_B

Well I just went down and did a inspection on the mill I traced the blade travel and what do you know.....a piece of 1/4 inch steel that holds the belt cover had some how been bent downward about 1/2 inch or so and was making contact with the blade, taking the set out of the teeth. I replaced the existing blade and sawed a cherry, and 2 walnut logs, and the mill could not have performed better. I really appreciate all the advice from everyone, if it wasnt for this forum, Id be totally lost, everyone has helped me on quite a few occasions. I think the mill manufactures should feel the same way, for you save them alot of  agavation from saw mill owners, not sure of what there doing. As time goes by, I have learned alot in a year, and so much more to learn.

Thank You Sponsors!