iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mortise chisel drift solution

Started by Just Me, May 23, 2017, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

Mortice chisel drift solution

I am building some furniture out of highly figured wood with grain running on an angle and had a lot of 1/4" mortises to do with the mortising machine. I had a problem with the chisel wanting to bend and follow the grain so I came up with a solution that I thought some of you may be able to use.

I took some of the stock of the same thickness and cut a 1/4" slot in the center 7/16 deep, then ripped that stock with the groove to 3/4". I laid that on top of the piece to be mortised, taped it in place on the clamp side so not to mess with center, transferred the marks up to this scrap piece and clamped the whole thing in the machine.

By starting out the mortise with the chisel riding in the slot the mortise stayed straight and did not wander with the grain any longer. I had three mortise sizes so I made one for each size and just moved it from piece to piece, taping it where I needed the mortise.

Worked for me............

The other Larry

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

That sounds like a great idea, I may try and make some. Thanks for sharing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!