iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pileated Woodpecker

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 22, 2017, 09:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

About sunset I opened the front door and almost hit a Pileated Woodpecker perched on a carpenter bee trap I had set up there. He flew to the bannister and I called my wife to come photograph him. He landed in the yard and pecked on an old walnut stump I had cut down years ago, next to the firepit to check out the limbs the grandkids collected for the next weinie roast, then flew to the back yard to a willow clump in a spring runoff there, checked out some of my old posts and checked out some old posts on an old cross fence section. My wife sneaked up about 20-30 yards from him and took several pictures of him there. Finally he flew down into the woods along the creek below the house and we lost him.

They are beautiful birds and I think they have a lot of character and I love to watch them. We have a lot of them on our property and the surrounding areas but this was the first time I had been within 4' of one. Here below are a few of the pictures my wife took. She has downsized them. The original raw versions blow up with no pixilation.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

good pics of a great bird ;)
little story about woodpeckers :D dont try to rob the nest!!! :o when me and my brother were about 10-12 years old one of them peckerwoods had a nest in a mimosa tree in granny's front yard so we had been climbing up there keeping an eye on it for the eggs to hatch and when they were about old enough to leave the nest we were gonna climb up there and catch them because we never knew of anyone with a pet woodpecker before ;D  so  when the time was right we watch the tree for mom woodpecker to leave the tree and i climbed up and took a look in the hole and mom popped up in the hole eye to eye with me (never thought about might be 2 woodpeckers in the tree ::) ) so i slapped my hand over the hole so she couldnt get out and get me at least nothing but my hand she tore the palm of my hand up and i was afraid to let her out because i was fraid she would get on my head like the woody woodpecker cartoon :D ( i loved that show and part of the reason we wanted to catch them ;D ) so i ended up just stepping to left and jumping/falling out of the tree about 12' down to the ground :o  so we never tried that again and i have never had a woodpecker for a pet  :D :D :D

no woodpeckers and only 1 hand were injured in the making of this story ::) :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WV Sawmiller

Sandy,

When I was a kid I helped my cousin cut down a big old dead tree with a hatchet. It had hole near the top. When we got it down we found a young red-bellied woodpecker (We used to call them a Cham Cham where I was raised) in there. Once down my cousin told me his mom and dad would not let him have it so I ended up with it. As I remember I spent the next several weeks trying to get enough food for the bird. He ended up eating a lot of rolled up light bread. When he'd start to choke I'd squirt enough water in his throat for him to get it down. As harsh as my parenting was he still survived and I let him go free as soon as possible. He hung around for several weeks as I remember and would return when I called. I could mimic his trilling pretty well.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

we have caught and raised all kinds of animals over the years the best were rabbits and the worst were coons :o they will get into and tear up everything :o >:( :D :D :D we always turned them loose at weaning and the coons stayed around for years  :o  rabbits and squirrel would hang around the house but didnt bother anything :) last thing we raised was an orphan deer fawn that was the best pet i ever had one of the neighvors over a mile away put a red ribbon on her neck one time when the deer went for a visit as deer season was open and she was afraid someone would shoot her :D she lived about 2 1/2 years and was bred  and when she was giving birth the fawn was hung up so we pulled it like you would a calf the fawn was already dead when we found her and she died 3 days later  :( she was at the neighbor barn and they called us she had been gone for about a week without being seen so i wonder if we had found her sooner if she might have made it :-\ ???

WV Sawmiller

Sandy,

Same here. We raised all kinds of critters. Possums, coons, squirrels, flying squirrels, rabbits, assorted birds, turtles/tortoises, and also an orphan (car killed mother) deer. Spot was our neatest pet too. We'd milk the goats and feed her. She ran free and played with the wild deer but would come running when called. She'd lick the salt off kids faces and they thought she was kissing them. We put an orange collar on her. She disappeared after a little over a year. I don't know if wild dogs or coyotes killed her or a poacher as she disappeared in the summer out of season. My son had a pet coon that same time. He had the run of their house at college. DNR had given him a permit and he'd get stopped sometimes but no issues. Chester rode on his shoulders with his paws around his forehead holding on. He was very playful but the minute he got food he would but anyone who tried to get near him till he was  done eating. He was litter box trained. He'd play tag and hassle like a dog when you chased him and he was happy.
Howard Green

sandsawmill14

i think the most of my problem with the coons was i had 5 :o all littermates  :D  they were like a bunch of kids at a birthday party all the time  :D :D :D  its funny now but i sure threatened bbq  fudd-smiley food6 several times before they moved on  :)  i have always loved animals always will :)

doctorb

Great bird.  Great pics.  Great stories.  Thanks
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sandsawmill14

we call those woodpeckers indian hens  around here but they are also called perckerwoods in stead of woodpeckers ::) :D :D :D
we also have a few yellowhammers around here ( may or may not be related to a certain member on here ??? ) :D they use to love to get on the gable ends of my grandmas house just after daylight  :o so no need for alarm clock :D :D :D

TimRB

I'm green with envy.  We've lived here in the woods for over 30 years now, and hear pileated woodpeckers fairly often, but I have never once gotten a clear look at one.  Very elusive birds with a haunting voice.

Tim

WV Sawmiller

Tim,

They are one of my favorite birds too. First time I was ever this close to one. They are very regal and independent looking and loads of fun to watch. Around here people call them Wood hens. I remember hearing them called Log Gods or Lord Gods where I grew up in Fla. I think that name also applied to the Ivory Bill Woodpecker which many people get/got confused with them.

I did a research paper on IBWs when I was in college and found they were thought to be extinct and one of the last known populations was in Pumpkin Swamp in Dixie County Fla. As a kid I once hunted with my Grandpa in Pumpkin swamp. A woodpecker flew by and Grandpa changed loads and said "Them ol big woodpeckers are good eating but you don't hardly see them any more." When I read about them during my research I realized Grandpa might have been a contributing factor in their extinction. I read some years back they found one in Arkansas in a swamp  there but don't know if they are still alive or a viable population. Let's hope so.
Howard Green

Upper

How about some pics of the carpenter bee trap.
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

WV Sawmiller

Upper,

See below.

Easy to make. Take scrap lumber and make a box, attach top and bottom boards (I make top bigger to protect from rain). Drive a staple or attach a small eye bolt in center of top. Bore a half inch hole upwards at a 45 degree angle near the top of each side. In the bottom drill a 1-1/8" hole to fit a pop bottle lid or other size if other container. If a pop bottle drill a 5/8" hole in the lid. Hang it under the eaves or wherever you see carpenter bees or have problems with them. The half inch hole is perfect size for them to enter. Because of the angle they don't apparently see the light  to go out that way and go out the bottom and get caught. There are plenty of other designs on line but I find this one easy and cheap to build and it works.
Howard Green

Upper

Cool I saw one last year,and I am gunna catchit!
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

DelawhereJoe

I've got one very similar but is only 1/2 as deep and the bottle exits the side, it will hold a 1 L bottle. Some springs it will almost fill the bottle in a week, but sadly there are always more flying around. If you take a lacrosse stick and drive an old tennis racket into the end, screw it in place and let the kids have at the bees, its loads of fun to watch the kids....man does that sound redneck....but its another great way to get rid of the bees.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

nativewolf

another good trap is a stinkbug trap made out of a 1 liter bottle and  a cheap led lightbulb.  They fly into them at night and your house is not infested with them all winter/spring.
Liking Walnut

sandsawmill14

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 25, 2017, 09:42:14 PM
I've got one very similar but is only 1/2 as deep and the bottle exits the side, it will hold a 1 L bottle. Some springs it will almost fill the bottle in a week, but sadly there are always more flying around. If you take a lacrosse stick and drive an old tennis racket into the end, screw it in place and let the kids have at the bees, its loads of fun to watch the kids....man does that sound redneck....but its another great way to get rid of the bees.

down here we use a 4' long 1x2 to "bat bees"  but maybe us rednecks aim is better ;D ;) :D :D :D you are right about hrs of fun watching the kids but  the kids get a big laugh when us old felllers get up and say gimme the stick and let me show you how :D me and both my brothers have all been out in the front yard battin bees with the kids and my parents on the porch watching and laughing especially when one of us gets to close and gets whacked smiley_crying but we have an understanding :) if you get hit its your own fault the guy trying to hit a flying be with a 1x2 aint got time to take his eye off of the target ;) :D :D :D

Logger RK

We like using a 12 gauge on wasp nests. But not a single shot. They have no sense of humor.

sandsawmill14

:D :D :D :o :D 
we had a neighbor that shot bees with a 22 pistol and rat shot until he followed a fast one to long and shot the house and knocked the paint off a place about the size of a golf ball :D his wife put an end to shootin bees off the porch after that :D :D :D   she is a really nice older lady but just no since of humor ::)  at least she couldnt see the humor in that ???  the rest of us couldnt decide which was funnier him shootin the house or  how much trouble he got in for it ??? :D :D :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

florida

Laying in the hammock by the creek one day and heard woodpeckers. Looked up and there was a Pileated going to town on a dead oak to my right, a Red Bellied having at a pine overhead and a Red Headed pecking on the next pine over. First Red Headed woodpecker I'd seen here and the last.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Peter Drouin

We have a bunch of them here too,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!