iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer Crank support Kit install. D51 and D62 HP

Started by MartyParsons, May 21, 2017, 10:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Here are some pictures of a 62 hp Cat LT70 crankshaft kit support install.

The kit comes with instructions. Please review all the steps before starting.

I did not take a picture of it before the job was started so we will start here.

Remove the three bolts and install two of them in the threaded holes. You will also need to loosen the belt support. You do not need to remove it it will rest down.

I used a puller once the pulley was pushed away from the taper lock. I think you could pry it away but the puller was much easier.

Remove the six bolts from the aux drive pulley.

The picture below you can see the length difference.

The tapered cap screws will have lock tite on them you may need to heat them. The 51 hp has smaller tapered cap screws and they will need to be heated. There are new ones in the kit.

Install the alternator belt and tensioner.

I made a shim spacer because the tensioner pulley was rubbing on the alternator fan.

Install the new pulley and lock. There is a set screw in the lock you can remove it. There is no way to tighten it once you install the pulley assembly. I find it easier to install the key after I have it in place. Install the drive belt. You may want to install a new belt at this time.

Yes you need to align the pulleys. I had to pull the drive pulley toward the bearing a little with the puller to make it align.

Use a torque wrench to set the three bolts.

Tighten the 1/4" bolts 6 ft/lb. You will need to do this more than once as the taper lock seats in the pulley.

Dont forget the belt support.

The alternator cover is next. Dont tighten anything yet! Or you will fight to get everything aligned.

Note the 3/8" bolt in the cover in the front. You will take it out and install the new spacer in this location.

Never Seize!!. I may be the next person working on this machine.  Or it could also be you. Take care of number one. That is you!

I install this on the shaft where the bearing presses on.

OK read the instructions and place the spacers in the proper location.

Grease the bearing every 50 hours.

Had a little time getting the cover on.

Had to remove a little metal to make it fit.

Here is the finished picture.

Time about 3 hours.

Hope this helps.

I will take pictures of the 51 hp Cat the next time. It is a little more involved.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

paul case

That will add some time to the belt change as well.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Deese

Really looking forward to your 51HP Cat install post. Got the Crank Support Kit ordered and awaiting delivery in a few weeks. Your posts are fantastic.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

jmouton

i ve read about the crank support kit, never saw one ,  now i understand what and how it works ,,,,, thanks for sharing with us  marty ,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

4x4American

Nice job, do all the new saws come with them stock?

Hey Marty do you have a post on here about changing the blade drive belt?  Wondering how involved of a process that is, it looks fairly buried..when the head is in the not blade spinning position is there enough slack to pop the belt off if you take the belt holder in placer doey outta the way? 
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

4x4 you have to take the mill all apart to put on a new belt. :P
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Yes you give up some time, to remove the drive belt. We installed the complete crank support kit in less than 3 hours. So it is not like it would take you a day to remove and replace the drive belt.
    You should get at least 500 hours out of a drive belt. The manual states 1250 hours as a wear limit on the Super mills and many owners get to this number.

Or you can ruin the drive belt in a days sawing if you do not check the proper tension every 50 hours and you run it loose.

All new Wood Mizer mills with Yanmar Diesels have the crank support kit from the factory.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

FloridaMike

I'm surprised they supply grade 5 bolts (on the outside 8 bolts)?  Grade 8's are only a few $ extra... just saying!
Mike

paul case

Quote from: MartyParsons on May 23, 2017, 07:41:14 AM
Hello,
So it is not like it would take you a day to remove and replace the drive belt.
Marty

I could take all day to change it as I loose my tools in the back pocket of my overalls or in the sawdust. I always cross mechanic'n with hunting.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Deese

My LT40 Crank Support Kit was delivered today. I was told it would be a few weeks but it only took 7 days from the day I ordered it.

I've got good friend that happens to be an experienced diesel mechanic that's going to help me with it all. 
All I've got to get is a new head gasket and getting both things done hopefully in the next week or two.

Cooks AE4P Edger

petefrom bearswamp

Well I have chickened out.
My friend doesn't have time to help me.
My mill goes to Hannibal in the morning for the  kit install and an alignment.
Hope they don't hurt me too bad.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

red

The NY guys are first class . Everything will be fine.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Deese on May 25, 2017, 04:41:22 PM
My LT40 Crank Support Kit was delivered today. I was told it would be a few weeks but it only took 7 days from the day I ordered it.

I've got good friend that happens to be an experienced diesel mechanic that's going to help me with it all. 
All I've got to get is a new head gasket and getting both things done hopefully in the next week or two.

When you go to put back the support kit on. You will line up the alt pulley and that will set where the drive belt will be . Then check where the other end of the belt where the brake band is . You might have to loosen it and move it to line up with the pulley off the back of the cat.
Mine was a ½" off. from the get go. ::)
All fixed now.

Move the bolts to the other holes and the end will come off .

This is how far you have to go 4x4 to change the belt. :D :D :D :D ;)

I left the red cover off, So I can grease the thing.

The pulley and brake are one piece. It will move left to right to line up to the top motor pulley.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Deese

Mr Drouin, thank you sir for the detailed illustrations. This is going to help this ole boy more than you know. I owe you one. Really! Printed out black and white directions are one thing, but this is first class. This is what this forum is all about. I hope to return the favor to someone on here one day when I figure out what the heck I'm doing  :D
Cooks AE4P Edger

Peter Drouin

That's what this place is all about, Ask away. :D :D :D :D 8) :P ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

petefrom bearswamp

Left the mill at Hannibal on Thursday 25th and picked it up on Tuesday 30th.
Brg support kit installed, alternator belt replaced as the old one was nearly shredded, mill aligned and also picked up resharp blades that they bent over backwards to get done for me.
What a satisfying experience.
Cant say enough good about the folks at Hannibal.
Barry Kline assured me that the head gasket on my 2008 mill should not be a problem.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Beavertooth

Marty,
In installing the crank support what made a change in the alternator fan or tensioner pulley that would make you have to add a shim?
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I am not sure. Maybe it was not aligned from the factory? I know I have seen a few alternator belts that were missing the first three threads. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
Marty

Beavertooth

Marty,
  Has there ever been any problem with crankshafts because of the side pull on engines other than the Cats. (Onan, Kohler, Kubota, or any other ones) And do any of the new mills come with the crank support already installed. 
                     Thanks, Craig
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Deese

I finally got the kit installed today. The taper lock and pulleys were sized up real bad. It took about an hour to get them off the shaft. Had to use a torch but got'er done. Two of the bolt holes were a little off, so we had to drill them out some to make it fit. But glad it's done. Took about 4 hours.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Deese

Of course not  :D Busiest month of the year for the company I work for. I mean, crazy busy. I was supposed to order the belts on Thursday and forgot. I had Saturday scheduled so I went ahead with it. The belts will need changing before years end.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!