iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did you learn at the latest project?

Started by caveman, May 21, 2017, 03:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

There were so many knowledgeable folks present that I was curious what information was taken away.  Wood Doc was explaining the intricacies of hardwood lumber grading, Jake and Robert were expertly dissecting a huge sycamore with optimum results, Poston and Raider Bill were hurting ribs with their humor and antics, Richard and Gary were explaining blades and what makes them work well (or not), FishFarmer was surveilling from above with his UAS, and there were side conversations that ranged from solar kilns to tree species identification.  WDH was using big words and expertly distinguishing Sugarberry from Hackberry based on the peduncle as well as the structural variations of the pith when comparing common persimmon to swamp tupelo.  Please share what information you left with (buzzword- takeaway). I should have been carrying a notebook to write all of this stuff down.

The most common word spoken all weekend was huh.  I think neer one of us hear too good anymore.  What a worthwhile event: thank you again to Jake and all who participated, what an awesome opportunity for rookies (myself) and pros alike.

Caveman

flatrock58

I learned that if your mouth is open in Rentz, Ga for very long a gnat will fly in it!  Besides that some good info on grading lumber.  Also got some good feedback on different tooth setters and blades.  It is interesting to talk to people with a lot more experience and see how they are doing things.  Got a lot of ideas just walking around Jake's place looking how he has things set up.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

4x4American

I learned that if you mist it you will be wishing you had a helicopter
Boy, back in my day..

Sixacresand

I didn't know what I listed below.  I 'm also sure I saw, heard other useful that I have already forgot (besides people's names) :D

Blade Seminar
1.  If the mill head is moving too slow, then the blade takes smaller bites resulting in smaller sawdust particles, which does not get removed by the blade gullet and could cause blade heat up. I mill too slow.
2.  Blade roller guides wear out (become tapered) and cause unstable blades and wondering blades. It can not be adjusted out.  500 hours on a set might be pushing it. Cheap bearings in the rollers will not last long.
3   Not all resharp services check for blade flatness.
4.  LT40 blade tension should be 3000 lbs on the gauge, not 2K.
5.  Band wheel belts need to be replaced when worn and ragged. 

Hardwood lumber grading
1.  There is a systematic process to grading.  Identifying imperfections, measuring and doing the math. 
2.  Some FAS qualifying lumber might not be appealing to a customer for their use. 

Quarter Sawing.
1.  I don't think I can position a log half on the mill like Jake can. Maybe by accident.
2.  An Edger wouid be nice to have, but nice to have.  :D

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Deese

The primary reason I attended was to finally meet some of you guys. That alone was worth the trip. Good folks. I spent a good amount of time nagging Nomad with a bunch of questions. I really enjoyed the time I spent with him. I was like a giant, Oreo toting gnat amongst the little ones, buzzing in people's ears.

Furthermore, I wanted to see the RR Quartersawing Method successfully performed. I did not know if that would happen, but it did thanks to sawmilling masterminds like YH and Custom Sawyer. Watching it firsthand answered many unanswered questions and helped build my confidence as a young sawyer just starting out.

And third, I learned that gnats prefer sweaty fat boys. On Saturday, several of us are standing around talking and GA Mountain Man says "Good Lord Deese, I got some bug repellent in my truck, would you like some?"

When I drove up, all the gnats said, "Well lookie here boys, we just hit the jackpot." They followed me all the way back to the Alabama line Saturday afternoon.  :D

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Sixacresand

I don't know what gnats like best:  animal's butts or human faces.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Savannahdan

With all the gnats that came at me I was wondering in which of those 2 categories I fell.  Sort of explains why I've been called an AH.  I learned that meeting folks in person mirrors what we get from the FF.  Folks are very willing to share and help.  There were lots of things covered during the time I was there.  During Dr. Gene's grading session we learned that graded wood may be too poor for the furniture industry but perfect for the woodworker hobbyist and you just may be able to make as much or more from the board.  We also learned that there are times that regardless of you're inclination to save a board it just isn't going to be useable for anything other than the potbellied stove or fireplace.  I watched WDH set aside pieces for the bowl turning folks and my old brain realized that I have a large bowl turning group near me.  It's a great way to make a few $ off of what you might consider waste wood.  I also learned that you need to bring your camera's battery charger on the trip with you and that the cellphone camera lense may look broken but it still takes a fine picture.

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

customsawyer

The one and truest thing that I have learned is that when it comes to drinking "shine" no one can hang with Kirk.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WV Sawmiller

6Acre&,

They are very indecisive. That is why they keep alternating back and forth between the two. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on May 22, 2017, 09:36:25 PM
The one and truest thing that I have learned is that when it comes to drinking "shine" no one can hang with Kirk.  ;)

What happens in Vegas goes on the Forum.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

All jokes aside I gained the most from the grading class and the second blade class. I still have everything on the chalkboard.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

What I learned (Note to self:  Not for the first time  :)).

My tractor is not big enough.
My sawmill shed is not big enough.
My sawmill is not big enough.
My planer is not big enough.
My blower is not big enough.
I need a skidsteer.
I need a telehandler.
My kiln is not big enough. 
My porch is not big enough.
My lumber room is not big enough.
Julio's chicken is the best that you will ever eat.
Julio needs to be cloned.
Gnats taste sweet when they get mixed up with the specks of black pepper on the BBQ.
When it rains, it pours.
Forestry Forum people are FANTASTIC 8).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on May 23, 2017, 04:35:42 PM

I need a skidsteer.
I need a telehandler.
Gnats taste sweet when they get mixed up with the specks of black pepper on the BBQ.
When it rains, it pours.

Well stated Danny!

I could say the same thing, especially after listening to the guy that runs the mill producing 500K bd ft of hardwood every day where Jake works. 

Wow.....

FF folks are THE BEST!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I need a skidsteer.
I need a telehandler.
When it rains, it pours.

Bwess his widdle heart.  :'(

Deese

Oh yeah, I also learned that through careful planning, and waiting for juuuust the right moment to approach Danny, you can "borrow" a Forestry Forum shirt for a certain occasion.  :D :D :D :D :D
I saw the twinkle in his eye when he saw what was coming out of that sycamore and BAM!! Mission Accomplished. Jeff, you better just go ahead and send WDH a new t shirt. I might forget his address. :D

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I'll make a deal with him...He said my pig roast plane ticket was in the mail. So, I'll send the shirt back when I get it.
Cooks AE4P Edger

4x4American

Quote from: Deese on May 23, 2017, 08:46:48 PM
I'll make a deal with him...He said my pig roast plane ticket was in the mail. So, I'll send the shirt back when I get it.

What no ride in his private jet he's making you use public transit!  lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I am sorry I missed it. I am also glad Danny stopped with the My ______ is not big enough topics. I was afraid of where that was going.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DanG

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2017, 09:00:20 PM
   Sounds like you guys had a great time. I am sorry I missed it. I am also glad Danny stopped with the My ______ is not big enough topics. I was afraid of where that was going.

Oh, Danny's heart is plenty big enough. He just need to pick up the pace a bit.  ;) ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Deese is the cagey one.  Took my shirt right off my back (old saying)  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

Cagey

Adjective

Wary of being trapped or deceived

That's me! ;D
Cooks AE4P Edger

YellowHammer

I need a skidsteer.
I need a telehandler.
When it rains, it pours.

I also learned "My chainsaw isn't big enough"
And yes, to all who didn't make it, Julio's chicken IS the best you will ever eat.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 24, 2017, 06:16:51 PM

And yes, to all who didn't make it, Julio's chicken IS the best you will ever eat.

I put 2 legs in my pocket to bring home. Forgot about them until Monday until somebody yelled....
"Look at that Goat with Chicken Legs!".  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

caveman

When talking to Yellowhammer about his exit signs and fire marshal inspection, he mentioned that at least once a year the outlets needed to be cleaned.  I checked one of mine today because of that conversation.

This is a 4 way that I plug my chop saw into.  I was surprised how much sawdust had migrated into the box. 

If I could hear better, I would have learned a lot more about blades during the blade session.  I think the most common word at the project was "HUH?", evidently most of us have some hearing loss.

Another thing I learned was that horsepower determines which profile blade will perform for your application.
I much prefer gnats over noseeums or mosquitoes.
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Caveman.....clean yo place up!  :D

Thank You Sponsors!