iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Below freezing and using water lubricant

Started by Gilman, December 16, 2004, 06:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

It hasn't frozen here yet, but it is getting close.  I use about 7-10 gallons of water a day right now.  What, if anything, can I do once it drops below freezing?

Thanks in advance,

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kansas

In the past, we have used windshield wiper fluid. Something we are doing different this year is trying soydiesel. We used to use regular diesel a few years ago, but its not very user friendly. So far, the soy diesel is working well, and probably more cost effective than the windshield wiper fluid, and doing a better job. I have heard that it will gell up when it gets really cold, but so far no problems. The nice thing about the soy diesel is that it doesnt seem to have the odor of regular diesel.

gmmills

Gilman,

I mix windshield washer solvent with water in my lube bottle.
This is the mixing ratio chart from WM.

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

populus

We just started cold-weather sawing with our Lucas Mill. Is windshield wiper fluid cheaper and/or better than using diluted radiator coolant? Any disadvantage to radiator coolant?  Why is soydiesel better than wiper fluid?  Around here, soydiesel is expensive.

gmmills

I buy windshield washer fluid a Walmart on sale for 0.89 a gallon. It is a whole lot cheaper than diesel fuel per gallon. The ability to dilute it with the water per WM chart makes it even cheaper.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Kansas

The soydiesel costs around 2.75  a gallon here, defiintely more expensive than farm number 2 diesel, and more expensive than windshield wiper fluid. If I remember from last year, the wiper fluid was around 1.50 a gallon. I would guess we are getting about 4-6 times more cutting out of a gallon of diesel than wiper fluid, but thats just a general feeling. I do know it seems to do a better job under tough applications. Also, the Co-op I get it from got this batch before fall harvest, and before the price of soybeans went way down. Im hoping when they reorder, the price will be cheaper. But then, im still trying to figure out why gas is 1.65 and diesel is 2.00 at the pumps.

Percy

I used to use regular diesel for blade lube on my old lt40. I would get close to 50 hours out of 5 gallons(tankfull). Ive joined the eco thing and am dumping soap and alchohol at about 5 gallons a day. Hmmmmmm
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

BW_Williams

For my swinger, I use RV anti-freeze, the pink stuff, below freezing, vary the mix ratio for the cold, like the chart Gmmills posted.  It's more expensive than windshield fluid, but not as toxic.  Good luck, BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Captain

Funny to hear you Lucas guys talking about lubrication in the winter when below freezing. The only time I use any lubrication below freezing is when I get into an old, dry, tensioned log.  I love cutting fresh, green frozen pine.  No pitch buildup, and the blade stays cool even without water.

When I am sawing below freezing and require water, it seems I can run it straight down to about 26-27 degrees F.  The vibration and residual heat from the sawmill keep it from freezing while running.  When I stop cutting, even for a few minutes, I have to put the tank in the truck to keep the valve from freezing, and blow out the plastic water tube.

I always look forward to the Honda's carb icing this time of year  :-/

Captain

Minnesota_boy

I've sawed many thousand bd-ft with my bandsaw without any lubricant.  In this area I have 3 species that I have to run lube; white pine, tamarack, and white ash.  Other than that, I just keep a sharp blade on the mill and saw.  I really like frozen red pine as I can saw without worrying about waves in the lumber and the blades last a long time before they get dull.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

fabrik

Just a thought, if you use anti freeze as a lubricant, it's really toxic to animals. The sweetness of it attracts them and If they lick it, they can die. Also, you don't want it in the ground around a water well head.
Happy Holiday and safe sawing!
Mike
www.fabrik.us

populus

I hadn't thought of milling in winter without lubricant. We just got our Lucas last week, so I'm still pretty ignorant. What experience does anyone else have sawing frozen logs with a swing blade? It's warm today, but supposed to be good and cold next week. We're sawing big red oak into cants, and lubrication makes all the difference in warm weather, but I haven't tried without in frozen logs.

populus

BW_Williams mentions RV antifreeze. Turns out, according to my staff veterinarian (aka my wife) that it is made of propylene glycol, which is considered pet safe. According to her (and this close to Christmas I don't argue with her), it is a common food additive. Diluted with water and spilled on the ground, it is unlikely to cause a problem to pets or the environment. Not sure what it costs, but I may have to go get some. Great suggestion, BW_Williams. Thanks!

Tom

I'll bet that a little bit of rubbing alcohol would lower the freezing point too.  It might even be handy to keep some on the truck for little wounds.

populus

Cheap bourbon would work too. We mill a lot of wood out of old whiskey warehouses, maybe I could get a deal on some bad bourbon.  ;)

Tom

Gilman

Tom,
I think you have to wait until morning to find out :)

Thanks for all your input.  I think I'll try the washer fluid diluted.  We don't get below 15 degrees F very often here, well at least not for the last few years.  I like the smell of washer fluid.  Maybe I could add a little lavender too while I'm at it and have my own little popouri party!
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Minnesota_boy

I tried windhield washer fluid in my water one winter.  It wouldn't freeze up in the tank or hoses, but the washer fluid is alcohol based and that would evaporate out leaving me with water that froze to the guides and frame of the mill until the mill wouldn't move.  It is really hard to get all that ice chipped off so you can get going again.

Tom

Man!  I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. :-/

Minnesota_boy

Tom,
And I'm glad I don't have to deal with your 90/90.  That's 90 degrees F. and 90% humidity.  I can't keep from overheating when I'm working hard when it gets above 65.

Tom

Engineer

I sawed a lot of white pine last March when the temp was well below freezing and all the logs were frozen solid.  I get to do that again this winter.  I found that the best solution was no lubricant at all, that anything I did would make the blade wander or stick in the wood.

I will not use diesel as a lube.  I don't want that crap all over my boards.  It's bad enough having to smell it, putting it in the tractor.

Thank You Sponsors!