iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SkyTrak flat tire again - options?

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 19, 2017, 10:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

When I went up to check the snow depth a couple weeks ago, I saw that my tire was flat again on my SkyTrak.  Originally, it had a slow leak (months to go flat) and I managed to pop it off the bead so I had to take it in.  The shop re-seated the bead after replacing the O-ring and (said) they checked it for leaks.  I wasn't there while they worked on it.  I put it back on and a was flat again in a day :-[  Took it back and they really worked on it (I watched/helped) cleaning the O ring grove (the new O-ring was damaged by the crud in there and on the back of the ring).  He did not dunk it to check for leaks - we all assumed the failed O-ring was the issue. :-\

Well, flat again.  I'll be taking it back when the snow melts enough to get it, but wondering what options I should consider.  I'm hoping to keep the tire.  All of them are "flat land" tires for working construction sites - no tread.  Makes it interesting to work in mud on a hill ::)  They are old and have battle scars but nothing too deep.  Do split rim wheels ever go with tubes?  I figure a tube will fix it for good because pulling a tire is getting old now - the first time was a challenge and somewhat fun - but I'm over it now. ;)  What else should they be doing to the tire before I take it back from them?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

A little pricey, But, Foam filled and you will never have a flat again.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nopoint

I believe that most of the tires on my telehandler with split rims have tubes. I did have some luck with slime to help with leaking o rings. I generally have been able to reseat the beads by using a large ratchet strap or chain binder around tire. If you are not awaware of the dangers of split rims look it up. They can kill or maim you in a split second. Down fall of tubes is you can't plug the tire if you run over a nail.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: nopoint on May 20, 2017, 07:15:11 AM
I believe that most of the tires on my telehandler with split rims have tubes. I did have some luck with slime to help with leaking o rings. I generally have been able to reseat the beads by using a large ratchet strap or chain binder around tire.
I tried a strap the first time but my little compressor in the field just didn't have the volume to get the job done.  Also, at the tire shop, they use a bucket of grease to get the tire to re-seat.  That sure made it look easy and he conditioned his hands ;)  I've got a 20 gallon or so compressor tank.  Maybe I'll link that one to my little compressor to give me the volume I need with a short fat fill hose and give the ratchet strap a second go.  Wow, that would be a big bucket of slime!
If you are not aware of the dangers of split rims look it up. They can kill or maim you in a split second. Down fall of tubes is you can't plug the tire if you run over a nail.
Very aware of the danger!  That's why I let the "experts" do it (without a cage!).  I stood behind my truck when he was filling it.
Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 20, 2017, 06:18:18 AM
A little pricey, But, Foam filled and you will never have a flat again.
That would fix it for good!  What does that cost?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

never finished

Where I use to work. The loader wheels wouldn't fit in the rack. So we left the wheel outside the rack and got in the rack our self.   

snowstorm

There was someone not far from here many yrs ago that had a truck wheel come apart
The story was he was welding on the wheel .weather it was tubeless or had a lock ring I don't recall. It went through the roof of the garage along with parts of him. Killed him . Most places don't want anything to do with lock rings.  If anyone has a wheel that's old enough to be the split rim.  Throw it in the scrap pile. They were a bad idea when they were new

grouch

Quote from: snowstorm on May 28, 2017, 11:00:22 AM
There was someone not far from here many yrs ago that had a truck wheel come apart
The story was he was welding on the wheel .weather it was tubeless or had a lock ring I don't recall. It went through the roof of the garage along with parts of him. Killed him . Most places don't want anything to do with lock rings.  If anyone has a wheel that's old enough to be the split rim.  Throw it in the scrap pile. They were a bad idea when they were new

If he was welding on the wheel with a tire mounted -- inflated or not -- it probably didn't matter whether or not it was a split rim or had a lock ring.

Wheels of Fire Training Video
"Graphic Description of Dangers due to the Heating of Rims"

Don't weld on wheels with the tire mounted, don't use a torch to loosen stuck lug nuts. (Note near the end he talks about one documented case where the tire exploded 22 hours after heating).
Find something to do that interests you.

snowstorm

I still say if you have anything old enough to have split rims get ride of them

Magicman

That video was an eye opener  :o grouch.  I might not understand what happens, but I accept it.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

Quote from: snowstorm on May 28, 2017, 02:39:48 PM
I still say if you have anything old enough to have split rims get ride of them

I can't (and didn't) argue with that. Everything I've encountered could be converted, but that doesn't mean I've encountered everything out there.  ;D

ljohnsaw's SkyTrak is a good example of something I never had to deal with when I was working with tires. Don't know what kind of wheels might fit it. 

I'd be trickling water over that tire while rolling it to see if there's a pinhole or maybe air seeping out the sidewalls before putting it back on the machine.

Quote from: Magicman on May 28, 2017, 04:56:22 PM
That video was an eye opener  :o grouch.  I might not understand what happens, but I accept it.   :P

Scary, ain't it? My best guess is that the softer, inner tire compounds start outgassing, increasing pressure, increasing heat which leads to a runaway positive feedback loop. A bit like overcharging a hot lithium battery, or sucking too much juice from it too fast. Wish they had explained more of the science behind it.

Magicman

With a tire producing that much energy, wonder why we are using gasoline?   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

The snow is gone so I spent the day getting my tire repaired. With the trips back and forth I put on 222 miles today.  Turns out there was an old screw in it (that they did not check for the last time) right next to a plug.  They said it looked like someone plugged it without taking the screw out?  I think it was just dumb luck to get a screw right next to an old repair.  They pulled it all apart this time and patched the tire from the inside, remounted and it was in the dunk tank when I came to pick it up 3 hours later.  Back on and all looks good.  Three times in the shop but I only paid for it the first time ($40).  They have about 3 hours into it now.  I offered to pay something today but he said no, they messed up (twice) and hopefully someone has learned something from it!

Ifn I win the lottery and feel so inclined to buy my beast some new tires, I'll probably use them to do it.  For now, the old scarred up tires will have to do.
John Sawicky

grouch

Glad you got it up and on. I would've been a little red-faced if I caused a customer that much extra work, downtime and travel. They might remember you when that lottery ticket comes in. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!