iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feijoa

Started by Ianab, May 19, 2017, 01:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Not sure how familiar most of you will be with these.

Collected off this little 4ft tall bush in the back lawn.

I believe they grow in Cali, Texas and Florida, but being an evergreen they can't handle a real hard winter. Bit of frost or even snow seems to do them good, so they grow well here.

The jars in the back are last weekends effort from a bag Lil was given. Feijoa and Chilli relish  :) Might make some more this weekend, although Lil has plans for Feijoa icecream, and I'm not going to veto that  :D

Thing is these are so easy to grow, no pests seriously attack it, and it needs pretty much zero care in our climate. Once you get a few large bushes established you get buckets of fruit dropping off in late Autumn.

If you have never eaten them, they are a bit like a tropical Guava. Sort of hard to describe. Wikipedia says "It has a sweet, aromatic flavor, which tastes like pineapple, apple and mint". As good a description as any I guess.  :P
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

Grew them commercially along with longan, cherimoya, and lychee. Delicious !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

LIL

And the verdict  ;D

Taylor said "Mum made it too delicious and I ate it all"  :D

It turned out surprisingly well, was a tasty wee treat. 

Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ia that a fruit or vegetable? Probably more of a fruit.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

Have you guys tried gently BBQing them to intensify the flavor ?
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ianab

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 21, 2017, 10:09:30 PM
Ia that a fruit or vegetable? Probably more of a fruit.

Most definitely a fruit. It's a small evergreen tree, distant relative of the Guava.

QuoteHave you guys tried gently BBQing them to intensify the flavor ?

No, but that does give me some ideas for next season  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!