iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable sawmill and what is the best equipment to use

Started by Austin540845, May 18, 2017, 11:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin540845

I am new to this forum and am looking for some experienced people in sawmilling to answer some questions and give some information and pointers. My buddy and I are wanting to start a portable sawmill and work our way up we are looking at a Woodmizer lt10 or lt15 but we are also wanting a tractor to load and unload log trucks but have a 3,000 dollar budget for a used tractor that can handle the job so please if you have any good ideas help and if you have any other information on sawmilling please comment thanks and have a blessed day

Darrel

Welcome Austin.

$3,000 for a tractor big enough to load and unload logging trucks. That's a pretty tall order. I know, I've been looking for a tractor too.  I want to wish you and your buddy all the best and I hope you find what you are looking for.  I'm sure that if neither of you are afraid of hard work you will one day end up where you want to be. But it will take hard work. Save your money and increase your budget for your tractor considerably and you'll get there. 

And if you do find what you're looking for at 3 grand, good for you, but I'd be surprised. Keep us posted and ask lots of questions along the way. The people here have given me a whole whack of good advice along the way.  I think it was only a little over 4 years ago that I first posted here on Forestry Forum looking for advice about buying a sawmill.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

paul case

I have a tractor that I use to unload log trucks from time to time that was inside your budget. It is a 930 case diesel with a Dual front end loader. I bought the tractor from a man who cleans up old farmsteads. He sold it to me for $800. It is 85 hp and needed a new exhaust manifold, battery and starter solenoid. The loader I bought from a craigslist ad for $600. I had to do all the work but it is a good working set up and will lift some pretty big oak logs.

BTW my tractor is not for sale.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

TKehl

What's your location?  Best to update your profile with the info to give you better info. 

Pretty easy in my parts to come up with a tractor that fits the bill under $3k.  Especially if using the 3 point and boom for logs, but even with a decent loader.  I've seen an industrial tractor with heavy loader but no 3 point or PTO locally for $1200.  Part of me is kicking myself to buy it, the other half can't justify the need for another one even at that price.  Search craigslist.  There are deals out there in much of the country.  Won't be new, but will get the job done, but will likely need more frequent repairs or fixed from deferred maintenance.

For general sawmill info, lots of good info here.  If you can't find it browsing there is a search box at the top.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Austin.

You said that you want to establish a "portable sawmilling" business.  I would concentrate on putting the money into a hydraulic sawmill for now.  Think used if you can't afford new.  I did, and still have it.  No upgrade.

I have been successfully portable sawmilling now into my 15th year and have sawn well over a million bf and do not own a tractor for use with the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!