iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms441 carb & muffler mod

Started by yamaracer, May 18, 2017, 10:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaracer

this isn't a how to post but a OMG post!

i'm new to this forum but have been reading and learning from it for a while.
when i met the guy to buy the ms441, he was telling me he couldn't get it to idle and when he was able to get it to idle it was so high the chain would spin.  i wasn't to worried about it cause i'm pretty decent with a screwdriver & pliers:))

after getting it home, i tore the saw down to pretty much just the engine to clean and make a shopping list of things it needed.  to my surprise, it only needed 1 bolt, 2 cover clips and the carb linkage tightened.  after putting her back together she fired right up and purred like a lion. 

at that point, i figured i'd pull the limiting plugs from the H/L adjusters on the carb and mod the muffler...

for those of you that are still on the fence about these mods, get off and do them now!!  tho the saw ran ok before the mods, it really runs good now!!  being able to adjust the carb beyond where Stihl thinks it needs to be and opening up the carb so it can breath better is really worth your time!!

ok, i'll stop now
thanks to all of you that share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us!!

mike_belben

They run cooler too according to my temp gun. 

If you cut a slit in the side of the muffler can, pry it open into a gill that exhausts towards you, then weld a little sheetmetal deflector over that to redirect flow forward toward the bar, the reflective soundwaves will cancel out and you wont have an obnoxious loud saw.
Praise The Lord

PNWRusty

Quote from: mike_belben on June 19, 2017, 09:25:56 AM
If you cut a slit in the side of the muffler can, pry it open into a gill that exhausts towards you, then weld a little sheetmetal deflector over that to redirect flow forward toward the bar, the reflective soundwaves will cancel out and you wont have an obnoxious loud saw.

Are you saying the sound waves from the new slit you cut cancels with sound waves coming out of the regular exhaust opening? 

Thank You Sponsors!