The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: ms441 carb & muffler mod  (Read 312 times)

Offline yamaracer

• NOOBIE
ms441 carb & muffler mod
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:22:16 pm »
this isn't a how to post but a OMG post!

i'm new to this forum but have been reading and learning from it for a while.
when i met the guy to buy the ms441, he was telling me he couldn't get it to idle and when he was able to get it to idle it was so high the chain would spin.  i wasn't to worried about it cause i'm pretty decent with a screwdriver & pliers:))

after getting it home, i tore the saw down to pretty much just the engine to clean and make a shopping list of things it needed.  to my surprise, it only needed 1 bolt, 2 cover clips and the carb linkage tightened.  after putting her back together she fired right up and purred like a lion. 

at that point, i figured i'd pull the limiting plugs from the H/L adjusters on the carb and mod the muffler...

for those of you that are still on the fence about these mods, get off and do them now!!  tho the saw ran ok before the mods, it really runs good now!!  being able to adjust the carb beyond where Stihl thinks it needs to be and opening up the carb so it can breath better is really worth your time!!

ok, i'll stop now
thanks to all of you that share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us!!

Online mike_belben

• Full Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
Re: ms441 carb & muffler mod
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:25:56 am »
They run cooler too according to my temp gun. 

If you cut a slit in the side of the muffler can, pry it open into a gill that exhausts towards you, then weld a little sheetmetal deflector over that to redirect flow forward toward the bar, the reflective soundwaves will cancel out and you wont have an obnoxious loud saw.

Online PNWRusty

• I'm new!
Re: ms441 carb & muffler mod
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:32:51 am »
If you cut a slit in the side of the muffler can, pry it open into a gill that exhausts towards you, then weld a little sheetmetal deflector over that to redirect flow forward toward the bar, the reflective soundwaves will cancel out and you wont have an obnoxious loud saw.

Are you saying the sound waves from the new slit you cut cancels with sound waves coming out of the regular exhaust opening?