iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making up from bulk chain

Started by Qweaver, July 06, 2017, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We go thru a lot of chains and are considering making up our own chains from bulk.  I have no idea of how to source the correct quality chain or what tools to buy.  I have 3 Husqvarna  455s, A Stihl  311 and 170.  That may be a Stihl 377...hard to tell, I'll look closer before buying chain.  Where is a good source for this?  All of my relatives also use chain saws often so we may make good use of the up front cost offset.  Some of my saws need new drive sprockets and I need a source for them too.  Thanks for any info.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

goose63

Qweaver I get my bulk chain from Patssmallengin.com if you spend $ 300 or more there is free shipping
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

ladylake

If your running common sized chains its almost as cheap to buy loops online when they are on sale from the big logging supply places as it is to make up your own.  I make my own but have found some really good deals on fleabay on 100' rolls plus I run some odd sized bars so I can make chain to fit.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

coxy

I use a lot of chain but its cheaper for me to buy them made up and I don't really have the time  to make them   try our sponsors on the side of the screen   

CTYank

If you decide to spin your own, you'll need at least the following:
a) bulk reels of each type of chain you'll use- pitch, gauge, cutter type. Presets & tie straps for each- a batch of both is generally supplied with reel of chain. (Preset is tie strap w/ rivets spun on.)
b) means of measuring chain of each pitch in #DL from reel. Often on plastic strips you attach to bench, 2X
c) chain breaker with punch & anvils to suit each chain pitch, safety glasses
d) spinner to spin loops of each strip of chain you've broken off, using a preset & tie strap for each
e) micro-oiler to apply small amounts of lube at each rivet of preset you spin.

None of this is rocket-science, just requires ability to focus and attention-span. Chain-breaking can be tricky, and dramatic- thus the safety glasses.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

Well there's a zillion ways to skin that cat .I have a spinner no chain breaker .I grind the rivet heads off and separate the tie strap with a sharp little chisel .I've also peened the rivets with a little ball peen hammer and also have a set of concave punches that work well .
Although I have several rolls of chain  in hard to find sizes such as .404 .058 chisel skip and 1/2" chipper usually my chain work is for repairs .No more than I need it's much easier to just find loops on sale .
Just the other day as a matter of fact I ordered a 33 driver length of 3/8" pico .043 for a pole saw .$9.90 delivered to my mailbox .I'm not going to fool with it for that price. 

sawguy21

What has been said. Unless you frequently need uncommon or oddball lengths it normally doesn't pay to spin your own. Specialty chain such as square ground or skip tooth is seldom available in loops at a good price, not enough volume, so buying a roll may be to your advantage if you are using a lot of it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!