iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted sinus ? ?

Started by pineywoods, May 18, 2017, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

This is kinda weird and is un-proven, but I'll post anyway, maybe it will save someone from the misery I have gone through. I've had on and off sinus problems for several months. couple of weeks ago it hit with a vengeance. Symptoms that appeared to have nothing to do with sinus. The infection backed up into my ear and the sinus drain tubes. Earache, blurred vision, seeing double. urinary problems, Splitting headaches, dizziness, tired and run down. Went to the doc, 2 shots and 2 prescription antibiotcs (10 days worth) and I'm finally on the mend. Looking back over the past episodes, it appears that several times I had a flare up after sawing some spalted white oak. No mask, but my mill has a sawdust blower and 2 fans. Can't prove it, but it looks like the spalt fungus found a home in my sinus, and the toxins from that caused some problems not normally associated with a plugged sinus..
WEAR A DUST MASK.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

Piney, I've heard of people getting really bad respiratory infections from working with barn wood to make picture frames and crafts. Bad stuff, I hope you get feeling better quick!
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Piney,

I had to do a double take when i read the topic title. Sorry you are on the puny list and hope you get back to running on all 8 cylinders soon. My wife is on a kick thinking mushrooms on the firewood causes her problems in the smoke in the heater so now I have to check and/or trim off the mushrooms before she will burn it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WH_Conley

Thanks Piney, I have had respiratory trouble after sawing Spalted wood before and thought I was just going crazy. Maybe I am not as bad as my wife tells me after all. If I get in a molded basement or crawl space it just shuts my wind off.

I put a box, about a cord, of wood in the basement last winter that had some shrooms on it and had trouble with my sinus's til it was gone.
Bill

Ljohnsaw

A guy I used to work with (office environment) was getting "allergy shots" for years from spring to fall.  They helped a little but he still suffered.  He finally found a doc that did a very through work up - testing for all sorts of things.  Turns out, he had a internal fungal infection.  They then targeted that and he was all better.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I have a friend that contacted a wood fungus by scraping his shin against some rotten wood.  I thought that he leg was going to rot off, and maybe he did too.  He had to leave it open and let it heal from the inside.  It was a horrible looking mess.

I absolutely believe that breathing spalted/rotten wood dust would be a very bad thing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Its definitely a bad thing. You must take care working spalted wood or you could get really sick.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pineywoods

Yeah, magic, I know you have repeatedly told us to wear a dust mask when sawing, did I say I tend to be a bit block-headed ? This episode got my attention...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chop Shop

Been sawing lots of WRC and its starting to get to me.   The older dry ones are the worst.

Im going to be looking for a respirator style dust mask.

Don P

WRC really gets to me anymore. Pounding dust with the loader bucking the pile in a cattle lot has had me pretty miserable last night and this morning.

thecfarm

Magicman,what's the link to the mask you wear? I am not sawing rotten wood on my mill,but it would still be good to wear one.
BUT I do saw rotten wood with the chainsaw for firewood.
I have trouble with my lungs and don't need to add to it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It's a 3M 8511 N95 mask.  Some Google searching will find the best price with free shipping.  I usually can find the 10 pack for less than $15, but at $1.54 each this is still a good price. LINK  I usually buy 4-6 boxes of 10 at the time.  The same mask will cost you ~$7.00+ each in local stores. 

$13.70 Here

Whatever you get be sure that it has an exhalation valve!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ed_K

You need to make sure of the numbers. I bought the 3M-8200 and they small and hard to fit. Glad you brought this up again, I'm going to get the 3M-8511-n95 and try them. I can't saw ash without problems. I do believe we should wear a mask any time sawing now after reading this.
Ed K

thecfarm

I booked marked it this time. Thank you!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BradMarks

Airborne WRC particle dust has LONG fibres and can cause serious lung damage as they attach very easily.  Told to me by my supervisor at the mill when I was young.  REQUIRED to wear a mask, and that was 45 years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!