iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Withdraws

Started by WH_Conley, May 12, 2017, 09:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Haven't had a Cigarette in about 36 hours. Been keeping busy. Only problem is as I get older I have a shorter fuse for BS, couple that with the Nicotine withdraws and my dog is staying on the other side of the room. How long does the craving last? I need to know, have a Sil coming around for Mothers Day dinner and I don't really want to hurt him. Course the one Daughter is the only one in the family that would mind. Just don't want to be too grumpy with anyone else.
Bill

hopm

I quit dipping copenhagen in 02....haven't had a meal since that I didnt want a dip afterwards!!

WH_Conley

Yeah, that's when I want a smoke most. The habit is when I drive a dull stretch of road or just set. When I am working I never did smoke much.
Bill

MikeZ

WH-You are about halfway till the desire not to can be tolerated  ::). I had to quit a month prior to back surgery, then another month in hospital. I lasted about 2 weeks when I got home. Man was that first one a real buzz, but quite tasty. I tried about everything to distract me. Finally came down to cold turkey and a lot of sugarless mints. Now I need to do it all over again. It is very true about feeling better and improved taste (don't need that anyway). Best of luck to you and keep your mind on the plan.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

thecfarm

I was not all that gumpy. I'm not that way anyways.  ;D  I felt better in your time frame,so that kept me happy and I knew I was on the right track.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

Cravings are different for all of us.  I quit cold turkey the second time while smoking 3 packs a day.  I had 2 days with the patch then nothing.  I chewed mint gum, every time I had a craving in went a fresh piece.  Then Tic Tacs, cravings would get a single Tic Tac.  Now my habit is chewing on toothpicks.  The nice birch ones made by Diamond here in the states.  Many toothpicks are made in China and I don't trust anything food related coming out of there....  My quitting might have been a little easier than some I've heard - I don't know.  Different people have different tolerances to pain, suffering, etc.  I'm just an ornery, mad, pithy sumbirch most times so I made the smokes my "bad neighbor" and kicked their butts (that was an unintended pun!)
After about a month I stopped thinking about smoking after a meal.  Now at over a year later I might get a whiff of smoke and think, man that smells good.  The first time I quit the smoke smell made me gag.  Beats me what's different.
Don't drink beer or booze.  Sitting bored is the worst, move around.  Constantly have something in your mouth (not food) to grind away at.  You'll likely gain weight cause food tastes better and nicotine suppresses hunger pangs.  Get mad at the smokes.  Get MAD!!!  Think about how this stupid little bastard has complete control over you and then tell yourself you need your FREEDOM back.  Then think about the money you can save!  Now you can save aside your smoke funds and buy wood related stuff!  I wish you luck, bud.  Keep us posted.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Savannahdan

Good luck on your effort.  I'm one of the guys that decided to give it up and did that.  I was in the Navy stationed in Newport, RI, at the time.  Toughest part was going to CafĂ© 200 after work and getting a beer and some great pizza, Italian/Greek/Portuguese food and having other smokers around me.  Funny in that I gave it up due to the anticipated future cost of cigarettes.  I had tried a few times before then to give them up and that lasted maybe a year. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

coxy

good luck hope you get over it soon   every time I think about stopping some one dies in our family and I go back to them errrr

dgdrls

We're all different, one day at a time and they'll become a distant memory,
try not to compensate with food. 

You can do it,

D

Mooseherder

Congratulations WH Conley. :)  You're well on your way.  It'll get easier but you have to keep your guard up for a while.  It's been just over 9 years here.  Feb 2008 but seems like yesterday. 
Am I'm only 4 pounds heavier it's just in a different place. ;)

WH_Conley

Today was bad, not craving, the habit. Truck broke down, called for a tow. First thing I do standing there leaning on the truck? Reach for a smoke. I didn't really want one, just reached out of habit because there was nothing else to do. Seemed like everything I did today left a bit of dead time and I would reach for one, out of habit. Had a couple of frustrating times and I would put a pouch of Wolf dipping tobacco in. Not over a minute. I have used the same pouch for 2 days. Have to be careful of the environment. I quit a few years back and was setting at the dinner table , just got done eating, shooting the bull. Somebody had their smokes on the table. I was talking and had one lit and didn't even know it til  was puffing on it.
Bill

doctorb

Agree with the helpful suggestions here.  The habit is one thing, the craving is another.  If the craving can't be overcome, nicotine patches in sequential decreasing strengths may help.  Have you talked to your doc about this?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

Just more support. I tried more than 100 times. Finally did it. keep at it.  Those things are pricey here in Maine.  :o  $7-8 a pack.  :o  I use to be able to buy a carton for that with a coupon when I quite.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WH_Conley

The craving I can handle, sometimes it sneaks up, nothing I can't handle. I just don't want anybody to lay any down close for awhile. That was what happened last time, I did not consciously lite the durn thing. It was just there.
Bill

Chuck White

Sounds like you're doing ok, Bill, keep at it!

I kicked the cigarette habit when I was on a remote tour in Korea, cold turkey, in 1977 and then a little while later I started dippin' and I kicked that habit cold turkey on March 14, 1995 when I had a heart attack at age 46.

Still, every once in a while I'll have the urge, but the thinking kicks in and says N O !!!

Haven't touched either since March 14, 1995!

Good luck to you my friend!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on May 14, 2017, 09:22:41 AM
Just more support. I tried more than 100 times. Finally did it. keep at it.  Those things are pricey here in Maine.  :o  $7-8 a pack.  :o  I use to be able to buy a carton for that with a coupon when I quite.
dang I'm moving to Maine  :)

Onthesauk

WH, stick with it!  It is well worth it in the end.  After the first few months it gets easier and every year I appreciate it more.  Hang in there!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

WH_Conley

Well, been a little over 3 weeks now and I want one about as bad as I did day one. Get done with a meal, slap my shirt pocket. Walk out of a public building, slap my pocket. I think it is the habit more than the cravings. Been eating a lot of Life Savers. Not doing anything is when I want one the worst. To make it worse the Cardiologist told me I had a heart attack sometime in the past and doesn't want me doing anything strenuous til more tests are run. I tried to explain that I would starve in the time it took to get the tests scheduled. Doesn't seem to hurry them up any. This whole spring has been a PITA. Oh well, maybe it will get better.
Bill

LeeB

You can do. If you want to you can do it. I lack 2 months of being quit 8 years. Quit dipping 3 months after I quit smoking. Actually quit dipping before that. Just carried the can with me for almost 2 months unopened before I threw it away. Gained a heck of a lot of weight. A little over a year and a half ago I decided I was tired of waddling and change my diet. Lost 125 lbs. Been holding there for the last 7 months. You can do what you want to do but you have to want it. I know you can do it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bucknwfl

Prayer has helped me through the hard times and with things I never thought to pray about. Like getting yelled and cussed at by mad customers. I started praying and went almost two years without any crazy customers

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Thank You Sponsors!