iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thread the Needle

Started by wesdor, May 21, 2017, 07:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

This past Thursday morning my favorite teenager was killed in a horrible car accident.  He was what many of us call a gentle giant - about 6'4" and 275.  A heart bigger than his body and willing to help anyone in need.  He often stopped by and helped me on the farm (especially turning big logs on my manual mill).  He drove one of those jacked up pickups (where the center of gravity is way too high).  It was about 7:00 AM Thursday and he was on his way to pick up his girl friend, driving down a major two lane highway, and take her to school.

I have it on what I consider good source that the following happened.  Two other boys were heading to school and decided to play a game called "Thread the Needle".  The rules of this game are simple - you drive down a blacktop side road and put your foot to the floor.  You then have to cross a major highway and are not allowed to take your foot off the gas or put on your brakes!  Kids claim this proves your manhood!

Their car started to cross the major highway just as my friend was coming down the road.  He tried to evade the car by swerving right, but ran over the back of their car, catapulting him into the air and turning his truck upside down.  His truck landed in the ditch on the other side of the intersection.  His seat belt broke in three places and he was ejected from the truck and we think, killed instantly upon impact.  His funeral will be tomorrow afternoon instead of him walking across a stage at graduation later this week.  Preliminary police reports show that he had no alcohol or drugs in his system.  His cell phone was still in his pocket and had not been used (so no distracted driving) and they estimate his speed when he hit the other car at 50 mph.  So it seems to me that he wasn't doing anything that would contribute to the accident other than being on the road.

I don't post this for everyone to share our grief, but rather to alert you to this game in case it has spread beyond our area.  I know the game has been going on for at least 5 years in our area and have become very vigilant when I travel down two lane roads (watching the side roads).

Nothing can bring back my wonderful young friend, but perhaps if we spread the word, this stupid game can stop.

Thanks for reading my long post, I have been devastated since his father came to our place about 9:00 AM Thursday to share the news with us. 

WV Sawmiller

Sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to the family. Peer pressure causing kids to do dumb things has always been a major fear of mine. Sounds like this time it hurt an innocent bystander.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

grouch

Thank you for posting that even in your grief.

You may save someone else the trauma that everyone who loved that boy is going through.
Find something to do that interests you.

paul case

That is terrible.
Bad joke to play. I think ''thread the needle'' would prove nothing except The threaders guilt in this case.

I made a life descision to not drink alcohol because of an accident like that when I was just a youngster.

I am sorry for your loss.

Lets all be dilligent to watch out for those who are not watching out for themselves.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Such a loss just because of a stupid "game".
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

sorry for your loss  :(
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ricker

Such a waste of a good young man.  Sorry for your loss

Chuck White

Thanks for posting, posting may save someone else from an accident like this one!

My condolences to you, the young mans family and the community!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Praying for you and the young man's family. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sandhills

Very sorry to hear that, prayers sent.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ox

This story is a sad one, but thanks for trying to warn others.

It seems to me that teenagers these days are mostly bored and full of energy.  I remember growing up through grade and high school and working on the farm.  I never had much energy to raise hell.  All my excess energy, anger, excitement, whatever it was was (hey Mr. Tom) used on the farm working very very hard.  My idea of a good time on my one day off per week was just lounging about with my girlfriend or putting the old dirt roads in my pickup.  Maybe a movie now and again.  I was probably considered a bore compared to the other kids but I had my own vehicle, my own money, and nobody helped me with any of it.  I also didn't kill anybody innocent because I was bored and "trying to be a man".  I already was one, just wasn't 18 yet.  My friends also were stuck on the farms and didn't cause no trouble for nobody.  Most trouble we ever caused was maybe 4 wheelers on the back roads or on state land.  Against the law, yeah, but certainly not taking anybody's life into our hands.

This wasn't a plug toward myself, I'm not trying to brag, please don't get me wrong.  It's just a thought as to why kids do what they do and all I have to compare it to is my own life and my buddies'.  I don't think they have enough outlets for their "energy" today, the most of them.  It's a real shame.  I wish they were less selfish and helped their elderly neighbors out or something like that with all their energy.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

grouch

Ox:
I think you're at least partly right. Can't stop all of it, but useful physical activity, a.k.a. chores or a job or even volunteer work, reduces the need to invent self-destructive distractions. Just before my daughter went off to college (years ago and don't they leave too soon) she surprised me one day by telling me she was glad she had chores. All her friends were in therapy or taking various prescriptions for allergies, etc., and just plain bored.

Note how wesdor described this boy: "A heart bigger than his body and willing to help anyone in need.  He often stopped by and helped me on the farm (especially turning big logs on my manual mill)." That's just heart-breaking.
Find something to do that interests you.

wesdor

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts. Ox and Grouch, you summarize things pretty well

Funeral was this afternoon attended by about 600 - lots of his school friends. His father said to me that he had no idea how many positive things he had done to so many people in his short life.  Many youngsters talked about how he was the champion of those who were bullied. I recall several occasions when he had a "talk" with kids who were picking on classmates. Once you were under his protection the bullies looked elsewhere.

But the most important part of this nightmare is to alert others to this sick "game".

Please start looking at crossroads as you drive down highways. If this death can save others then at least something positive may come out of this tragedy. 

Thank You Sponsors!