iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its a sad state of affairs

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 18, 2017, 02:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Papenburg

I go through my pennies ,pick out the 82 and older for the copper crock and the 58 and older for the wheat pennies . the wheat pennies are far and few any more.   I got one in change just a few weeks ago though.   Never found any that were worth the big bucks yet.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

luvmexfood

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 18, 2017, 02:54:40 PM
They don't practice math as they have machines that can do all the work.  Many don't even carry cash, since they have handy plastic cards that contain their bank or charge account.  Most people are carrying handy phones around which are evolving to handheld computers.  There's probably an app that saves them from doing the thinking.

I think its handy to know how to use math, but if you are never in a situation that you need it, you won't remember how to use it.  I certainly don't remember much about my Chem classes, since I haven't used it since college.  I also know that my math skills went down a bit when we went to computerized setworks.  I no longer had to build stacks in my head. 

I remember asking my Granddad why he became a carpenter.  He said it was because he understood fractions.  Time frame was early 1900s.  Since then, we've evolved to where machines do all the work of measuring.  What a cabinet maker used to do is now done by cnc.  Diagrams are drawn by machine.  And we've learned to run those machines.  We have computers to do all the heavy lifting of ciphering.  People today just don't need those skills.

The other thing to remember is that when we learned to make change, you could buy a candy bar for a nickle.  Labor was pretty cheap.  Now, change is just clutter.  You won't be as careful with something of less value.  That's why you didn't want the pennies. 

Things just ain't the same as the used to be.  My parents said the same thing, as I'm sure my grandparents did.

I can remember back in the day when my parents would give me a dollar. You had to walk about a mile to a little gas station and get a gallon of gas which was about a quarter. The rest was yours to buy all the candy, pop, chips and bubble gum you wanted. Then when you got home you had to mow an acre of grass with a push lawnmower.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Deese on May 18, 2017, 05:01:18 PM
Quoteif you are never in a situation that you need it, you won't remember how to use it.

This is so true. I struggled with math for a while when I started college. I hate to say it, but our little private high school lacked in that dept and I paid for it. However, I was required to take a few math courses for my wildlife biology major, and my last one was Calculus 1. Well, we had a foreign teacher and you literally couldn't understand what he was saying. I made something like a 30 on the first exam. He told me that I should drop the class because there was no way I was going to pass. I got a math tutor and immediately something clicked, and I understood everything perfectly. Or, as close to perfect as you could possibly get. We did math problems that would actually take up a full page to compute. I remember we had bonus problems at the end of each exam, and I made over 100 on each test after that. It was a small class, maybe 30 of us. I went from being last at finishing an assignment, to one of the first to finish. I was so excited, and then very disappointed that I still got a B in the class because my first test score was so low. I was within 0.5 of a point of getting an A, and I begged him and he just wouldn't do it. I'll never forget that. I felt like I earned that "A", but that's life.

And now, I couldn't finish--or even start--one of those differential equations, infinity equations, etc if my own life depended on it. Sometimes I look back and wish that I would have changed majors more concentrated in that department. Math is something that takes repetition. Lots of practice. It also takes the right mentor.

My daughter attends a major state university. She had the same problem. Still had a 4.0 in all her classes but struggled to understand the professor. My opinion is if you teach in a state university you should be able to deliver a lecture that the students can understand. Why pay big bucks to pay for a class where the instructor can't deliver a lecture in plain english.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Stuart Caruk

baaa... my daughter could program a CNC mill at age 2 1/2. I still recalling her yelling at the neighbors dog... G28, G28, bad dog, G 28.

She's been running a CNC lathe by herself since she was 6... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-Pj8H0evg
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

dgdrls

I do my best to make the penny's work,  the balance of the silver is checked for Bicentennial quarters or any other oldies
then they hit the bank cup.  stray penny's as well.

Was sad when the postal Service took out the stamp machines. they gave $1 coins for change along with silver.
I also look for $2 bills.

Did plenty of "field math" when I was surveying full time  but even then most things beyond cuts and fill or stake-out distances
got the calculator

D

OldJack

A neighbour gal was real proud this morning. Her granddaughter won a First in the Canada-wide Science Fair.  On the other hand I once gave a Cree Indian kid an oral Firearm Safety exam because he couldn't read well enough at 14.  He aced the oral.

Kbeitz

Wow... That's my kinda girl... If only I was younger...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Blue Noser

Quote from: Ianab on May 19, 2017, 07:15:52 AM
QuoteI guess I am really old school as I would bend to pickup one penny . 100 make a dollar, old saying look out for your pennies and the dollars take care of them selves

While I understand what you are saying, the smallest coin we have here is now the 10cent.  Reason was that it cost more to make a 1 , 2 and 5 cent coin then they were actually worth. If they were actually copper, they were worth picking up for scrap metal, otherwise they just ended up in jars and down the back of couches and the Mint had to make more of them.

But being realistic, a 10c coin now has the buying power of a 1c coin when I was a kid. We are now on coins for $1 and $2, and I have $5 coins here from the Cook Islands. Only legal tender in the Cooks, but worth $5 NZ. Last time we where there that was enough to buy a big bottle of Heineken from the local Mart.  :D

The nickel was our smallest denomination coin last time I checked.

Thank You Sponsors!