iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills tracking problems

Started by Southwood, May 18, 2017, 08:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

One of the Band Wheels out of balance or a little warped?

______________________________-

fishfighter

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 18, 2017, 05:27:18 PM
I notice he says 35 foot pounds in the video.

With the new spring washers, Woodland said 25 FP.

Southwood

Well may have figured it out. Woodland mills tech said I was taking too much tension off when adjusting the tracking. I took a quarter turn backwards once I had it torqued to 25 lbs & made my adjustments & it worked so far. Who would of thought it? So far I have milled 7 logs today & all was good. I figured as long as tracking was adjusted & checked at 25 lbs torque it would make no difference, but apparently it does. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

Darrel

Good to hear that your mill is up and running! 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Happy to hear you are up and sawing. Yes, one has to have full tension when adjusting everything.

Sawmill Man

Didnt someone recommend that back in reply #6?
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

thecfarm

I have a Thomas and to adjust the tracking on mine,when I change a blade,I spin it by hand and when it tracks off, I adjust one side a little and spin it again. I know which bolt to adjust to get it to track right. I adjust it until it runs true. Only takes me a minute to get it right. Took me longer about 15 years ago.  ;D  Than I start to motor and run it slowly for a few seconds and I know I am good to go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

york

Yes you did,Sawmill man....

Key word full tension....
Albert

paul case

Glad you are sawing Southwind.

One thing about the FF is the experience here is invaluable and the guys here are really encouraging and helpful.

I guess that is 3.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Sawmill Man

On a lot of mills increasing blade tension does more than stretching the band tight. The saw head can flex and twist with different amounts of tension which affects tracking. The weaker the design of the sawhead or the wider the throat the more severe the change.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Briankinley2004

It's easy to overlook stuff. The manual or video or both say to let tension off only slightly as there is some bolt in there that needs tension but not full to work properly. Another thing I missed initially is to back the guides off when doing tracking so they don't push on band.  Glad you found the problem

fishfighter

Quote from: thecfarm on May 20, 2017, 09:00:29 AM
I have a Thomas and to adjust the tracking on mine,when I change a blade,I spin it by hand and when it tracks off, I adjust one side a little and spin it again. I know which bolt to adjust to get it to track right. I adjust it until it runs true. Only takes me a minute to get it right. Took me longer about 15 years ago.  ;D  Than I start to motor and run it slowly for a few seconds and I know I am good to go.

This is the same way I adjust my 126. ;D

Southwood

I am still having tracking problems, there suggestion has only worked for 1 day of sawing. It is really frustrating when you have so much time & money invested to make no progress. As luck has it my warranty was up last week & today I think I have found the problem. The threads of the tracking bolt & nut that it screws into are flattened & stripped (not sure why they didn't use a higher grade nut & bolt). The nut is welded to the carriage & cant be replaced or fixed without major fabrication. Anyone ever have this problem & if so how did you fix it? I'm gonna call woodland mills in the morning to see if it will be covered by warranty since it only ran out last week & that this has been an ongoing problem since day one. My last question is should the blade be sitting level? Mine has always had a backwards tilt. Changing the vertical tracking has no affect on the blade. Since I have had the mill I have had to replace wheel bearings, throttle cable, clutch, on & off switch, several drive belts, bearings & rollers, & way too many blades for very little saw time.

fishfighter

That is a lot of parts you changed. :o My 126 is going on three years next month. Only belts and one set of guide blade bearing have been change on mine in that time.

Novascotiamill

Any chance you can post a pic of which bolt and nut is damaged,id like to see if its the same serup on my hm130. Sorry about your badluck with the mill. Any time ive talked with the staff there they have been excellant,im sure they will be able to help you out.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Southwood

clintnelms

I had that happen with mine once and I just replaced the bolt and was good to go. If the nut is messed up too then you'll have to weld a new nut in its place. Are you backing the tension off when you adjust the tracking? If not, then that's what caused them to strip out.

Hilltop366

Drill and re-tap to the next size up bolt or thread insert?

Southwood

I'm backing the tension off a half turn. That is what the tech at woodland mills told me.

Den-Den

A torque measurement is worthless when the threads are buggered up.  That will have to be fixed before you can use torque to adjust blade tension.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Southwood

Yea I understand that. I have a welder coming this week to weld that nut. I'm gonna upgrade to grade 8 nut & bolts, instead of the cheaper grade ones that came with it. I figure since it has to be redone that I should use better materials. It's only a few dollars more. I just hope this has been my whole problem all along & that this will get me up & running finally. 2 years of problems is a long time. I should of already had my Workshop built a year & a half ago.

clintnelms

I can imagine, but I'll bet this will fix your problem.

Kbeitz

A drop of oil on the threads will change the torque measurement.
Grade 8 bolts will gall up just as easy. The wide nuts like I posted
will out last all the others and they are much easier to weld on.
Using never seize will help the galling.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Copper coat is good, moly grease too, I'm thinking once you get it tracking, there really should be no more adjusting? I'd be sure to use a looking jam but,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Hilltop366

Welding will distort the threads some, I usually run a tap through them after welding.

Thank You Sponsors!