iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills tracking problems

Started by Southwood, May 18, 2017, 08:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southwood

Anyone having tracking problems with the Woodland Mills HM126 mill? My tracking goes off just running the motor & not cutting any wood. I adjust the tracking the way it is supposed to be set up & after about 20 seconds of running the motor, the tracking will be way off. The blade moves backwards. I have done everything tech support has told me & nothing has worked. I am stumped by this & so is their tech support. I tore the tracking cover off & examined it & everything looks good. The welds are good & everything is tight. I have had problems with the tracking since I bought the mill & it has gotten a lot worse, now I can't even cut a log without ruining my guide rollers. So far I have had to replace a throttle cable, clutch, on & off switch, belts, rollers, & guides. Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated, as I am very frustrated & out of ideas. The only good news is it's still under warranty since it is not very old. Maybe they can swap it out, but until than I'm stuck & unable to do any milling.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

york

Cooks has a very good video ,that could help you,it on youtube,go look....

Another vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bq8YZEuXj8
Albert

Jeff

Have you tried putting a different new bade on? If there is something wrong with the blade, you'll never get it to track.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southwood

Have tried several blades

Southwood

Have watched the video several times before posting my problem.

Sawmill Man

Instead of spinning the blade with the engine try turning by hand slowly while under full tension and watch it. Adjust accordingly.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Ox

That's way too much to go wrong with a new mill.  It's still under warranty - you need to be in good communication with the makers of that machine and get this straightened out.  It might be a lemon.  If your tracking goes off like you said I would think a bearing is faulty.

Just random thoughts - maybe something will help.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Southwood

I start out spinning the wheel by hand & all is good. It's when the blade runs at speed is when the tracking goes off. It will go all the way back until it hits the guide rollers. I also think it is too many problems for a new mill. I talk with the techs at woodland mills daily & have sent videos. I also feel it could be a bad mill & a lemon. With everything being mass produced, it is a possibility.

Ox

I'm under the impression that Woodland Mills is a great manufacturer and are well in tune with the customer from reading alot of past posts.  There are lots of happy customers with these guys.  Judging from reviews and what I've read with comments I'm confident that Woodland Mills will rectify your situation.  Waiting a bit to get things straightened out can be frustrating when you're chomping at the bit but it will be all better in just a little while and you'll forget all about it.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

fishfighter

I would start checking the wheel bearing. On the tension adjuster, you have the new spring washers? Did you torque the tension adjustment to 25 FP's?

Do keep us updated. Really sorry you are having this problem, Own the same mill 2+ years. Woodland just sent me the replacement spring washers for free.

Southwood

Replaced the bearings already. I'm running out of parts to replace. Woodland Mills sent me the new washers & they are already installed. I do torque them to 25 lbs & have used 2 torque ratchets, to rule out a bad ratchet. I will say the washers are a lot better than the old poly ones.

Jeff

I'm still wondering about the blades. Far more likely to get a funky batch of blades than for something so mysteriously wrong with the mill you can't find it. A woodland mill is a simple machine compared to a car or tractor or something. Not something complicated enough that could be a "lemon".

Southwood

I have tried 2 different manufacturers blades. I bought a pack of 10 from Woodland Mills along with the sharpener when I bought the mill.  With all my problems I haven't had time to use the sharpener so I bought a 5 pack from another vendor.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Hilltop366

I notice he says 35 foot pounds in the video.

goose63

Southwood I've had the same mill as you for four year's the olny time I have trouble with tracking is when I change brands of blades.

Where do you live ? if your not to far away maybe I can have a look at it for you.

Like Jeff said it's a simpel machine and it has to be a simpel fix
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Kbeitz

I would start by putting a long straight edge on the rim of each wheel
and see if they both line up with each other.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

After you check the wheels as Kbeitz suggested, check the bolts holding the engine down. Check the pulley on the engine.

You said it tracks when you turn by hand but gets progressively worse as the engine runs. Sounds like the engine or its pulley move in relation to the wheel it's driving.
Find something to do that interests you.

Jeff

Sometimes things can be so simple they never occur to you. Back in 1985 we put in a new commercial cmc mill. For the next year we fought the problem of burning out one of the pillow bearings on the shaft we installed to drive the hydraulic pump. we did everything we could to align in, and every couple weeks burned up a a 100 dollar bearing. The light finally went on the last time it went out. When putting the shims back under the bearing for probably the 20 time, I noticed something. the shim stock was shorter than the bearing case and this type of bearing had a hollow base with a lip on the edges. Every time we torqued down the bearing, we warped the bearing housing, putting a bind on the bearing. I cut a new shim longer than the base and that bearing was still running when I left the mill in 2005.   

Simple things can be overlooked very easily.

york

There is nothing wrong with this mill-it is out smarting you,you are missing something-you may need help from a FF member.....
Albert

clintnelms

Have you changed the drive belt out to a Gates Belt? I had a tracking problem and found it was the belt I swapped out that came in my parts kit. It was a little thinner than the Gates belt that was originally on it and the blade would ride on the metal wheel instead of the belt. Took me forever to figure that one out.

Southwood

I have replaced the belt but am not sure of the brand. It was the belt that came in my maintenance kit. I may be missing something, but you would think woodland mills tech people would have thought of it to. I have replaced both belts, bearings, & blades & nothing has corrected it. Could it be possible the band wheel itself is bad?

pineywoods

Not sure about the woodland mill, I think there are 2 bearings in each bandwheel. If one of the bearings is loose and the other one normal, it can cause a lot of grief. Tension blade and adjust tracking in both directions while turning wheels manually. Then increase the tension. If tracking changes, bandwheel bearings likely the problem. Been there, done that on a woodmizer..Change both bearings...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

qbilder

Quote from: Southwood on May 19, 2017, 07:17:20 AM
I have replaced the belt but am not sure of the brand. It was the belt that came in my maintenance kit. I may be missing something, but you would think woodland mills tech people would have thought of it to. I have replaced both belts, bearings, & blades & nothing has corrected it. Could it be possible the band wheel itself is bad?

Yes it could be a faulty wheel. The only time I have ever had the issue you describe, it was a blade guide bearing that would get warm and start locking up. At low speed or the first few seconds, it would track perfectly. A few seconds spinning at cutting speed, the bearing would lock, thus putting drag on & slowing the guide. With one guide spinning at speed and the other slower, the blade would creep back. Unfortunately I never figured it out until the grooves began forming on the guide where the blade was running against it full friction as I milled logs.       
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!