iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not my day.

Started by Jeff, May 17, 2017, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Today just wasn't my day.
On one of my several trips to the pole barn today, I got lucky that I wasn't just 1 or 2 seconds slower. I took the dogs out with me as I usually do and headed for the barn with the dogs lagging behind. Just as I stepped onto the gravel approach, I heard this whoosh then a crack behind me, I spun around in time to see the bounce and the dogs hightailing it for the house. Good thing I was quick and the dogs were slow on this day. The limb came from about 40ft up.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

Sounds like it was your day boss  :)

VictorH

Glad you or your dogs were not hurt or worse.

sawguy21

:o That would have completely ruined your day. Buy a lottery ticket, you're on a roll.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Never heard the woosh before,but was working in front of the garage and heard a loud noise like a tree was coming down. Was only a branch out of a tree. Sometimes the branches will stick into the ground or stand there straight up and go into the ground a few inches.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

at least no one got hurt and it fell now and not at the piggy roast  :o

Jeff

Quote from: coxy on May 18, 2017, 06:51:51 AM

That is a concern here. Red Oaks shed branches. One of our pre-pigroast rituals is a tree inspection. We look for limbs that have a potential of breaking off.  We have a softball with a hole drilled through it tied to a string that we fire up over any offending limb. We then pull a rope up over it and back to the ground. One person gets on one end the rope and one on the other. We then spread apart and start vigorously bouncing the limb with the rope. If its ready to come down, it will come down. If it isn't, we pull the rope down and move to the next suspect.

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Glad you, the dogs and Miz Tami were not hurt and apparently no significant property damage. I try to make sure there are no trees big enough to land on my house but walk under trees to the barn, mailbox and field every day. I had a big maple limb drop a year ago that blocked my road from the barn to the house. Fortunately just had to cut it up and straighten up some fence.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

celliott

I had a similar experience at the end of the day today. Driving out of the woods on one of our 6 wheelers (not a utv with a rollcage) I was following the other guys in front of me, saw some little debris falling, looked up and saw a large limb coming out of the canopy, looked like it was going to land right on me! I whacked the throttle and the limb landed in the back of the 6 wheeler. Yikes, that was a close call  :-[
Nobody bumped a tree or anything, it was a little breezy, that limb just decided it was time to fall....
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Brian_Weekley

If a tree branch falls in the forest Jeff's yard and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
e aho laula

WV Sawmiller

Brian,

I think the way I heard that was "If a man is 100 miles out at sea and there are no women around and he says something, is he still wrong?" :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine had a near miss with a big branch and one of his trucks this winter. He parked the truck inside where it would be safe and the shop burned to the ground. It might not have been that trucks day, but it was certainly that trucks night.  :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

A toddler in a stroller was recently tagged by a falling branch in Vancouver, fortunately received only a minor cut. The father is now afraid to go outside and wants the city to cut back every tree in the city. ::) I can understand his concern but there is a certain risk in getting out of bed in the morning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Logger RK

I like that idea of the soft ball hooked to the string. I have some willows in my yard that always has dead branches and trying to throw just a rope doesn't work very well. Dad always said"your never to old to learn something".

WV Sawmiller

Sawguy,

I worked a project in southern Norway and they went the other route. They had a big (5' dbh) elm (I think) fall in one of their parks. They just trimmed the small limbs off and left it for the kids to play on. Was one of the most popular attractions in the park. When I saw it I told my wife "We are so sue happy in America we could never get by with something like that. The first time a kid scraped an elbow his parents would file a multi-million dollar law suit against the city/county/state/country for negligence. Plus OSHA and other agencies would not allow it." They have a different attitude over there.
Howard Green

nativewolf

Quote from: Jeff on May 18, 2017, 08:12:29 AM
Quote from: coxy on May 18, 2017, 06:51:51 AM

That is a concern here. Red Oaks shed branches. One of our pre-pigroast rituals is a tree inspection. We look for limbs that have a potential of breaking off.  We have a softball with a hole drilled through it tied to a string that we fire up over any offending limb. We then pull a rope up over it and back to the ground. One person gets on one end the rope and one on the other. We then spread apart and start vigorously bouncing the limb with the rope. If its ready to come down, it will come down. If it isn't, we pull the rope down and move to the next suspect.

Your lucky day.  You are posting about tree limb problems on a site for of guys that cut trees and mill them.  Heck I bet someone volunteers to remove those branch dropping pest  :D
Liking Walnut

coxy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 18, 2017, 07:39:35 PM
Brian,

I think the way I heard that was "If a man is 100 miles out at sea and there are no women around and he says something, is he still wrong?" :D
more than likely YES  :D :D :D

Jeff

Quote from: nativewolf on May 19, 2017, 09:58:41 AM

Your lucky day.  You are posting about tree limb problems on a site for of guys that cut trees and mill them.  Heck I bet someone volunteers to remove those branch dropping pest  :D
You'd think, but it's complicated.  Climbing with spurs here can't happen, and pruning must be done to red oaks when the trees are dormant because we have oak wilt prevalent in the area. We have to be ultra careful not to wound red oaks in the growing season. Storm damage can also open the tree up to risk. Luckily, this large limb was deader than a stone.

Just Me

Could have been catastrophic! You could have been backing the T-Bird out to go get milk, and the rumble of the 390 could have made it fall on the roof.

Now that would have been a bad day!

Jeff

Anudder wise guy eh? :D  One of my friends said the same thing, other than he chose the Dodge truck as an example of being worse than hitting me! :D

loggah

Jeff, I have taken down oak limbs with a 12 Ga. and buckshot!!! ;D but i dont have any other houses nearby. ;D , a 12 Ga. also works for cutting down Christmas trees but you want to use no.6 shot for that,got a few while rabbit hunting.Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Logger RK

I was also going to add the the 12 gauge is My Sons favorite way to get branches out of our trees. But not My Wife's first choice. Also We go Christmas Tree Hunting at that time of year. But we do each have a Beaver Tail nailed to are front doors also. When My Son Tom bought His place a couple years ago,His Girl Friend heard something outside one earlier morning. Tom looked & told Her,it's just My Friend Kerry putting up The Traditional Beaver Tail on His Front Door. But Tom also got The Bonus Turkey Feet for His Garage doors.

Jeff

Where we are at, a shotgun is not an option, but I did utilize my .22 earlier this week....

nativewolf

Quote from: Jeff on May 19, 2017, 11:21:47 AM
Quote from: nativewolf on May 19, 2017, 09:58:41 AM

You'd think, but it's complicated.  Climbing with spurs here can't happen, and pruning must be done to red oaks when the trees are dormant because we have oak wilt prevalent in the area. We have to be ultra careful not to wound red oaks in the growing season. Storm damage can also open the tree up to risk. Luckily, this large limb was deader than a stone.

Oh I was thinking of pruning with a feller buncher.  I mean really pruning, just get me in to do some stump grinding and you'd be all done, just grass seed and a mower. :D
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Jeff on May 22, 2017, 10:07:45 AM
Where we are at, a shotgun is not an option, but I did utilize my .22 earlier this week....

Good eating BTW. 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!