iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What wood is this.....aired dried for 27 months

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 17, 2017, 08:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

The grey comment led me to think that even though I have never sawed any. I understand magnolia and holly turn grey quickly after sawing unless very special handling and a lot of luck is applied. I guess I lose out on another prize to re-gift.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Yup, been there, good ole southern magnolia or it's close cousin bay..I didn't see any knots, they would be black and quite hard...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

The double band of marginal parenchyma gives it away  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

It is the dark band at the terminus of each growth ring.  It is what gives it that nice grain.  Yellow Poplar (in the Magnolia family) has a single band, so it is not as distinct as what you see in your pic of the magnolia.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 18, 2017, 10:24:24 AM
It is the dark band at the terminus of each growth ring.  It is what gives it that nice grain.  Yellow Poplar (in the Magnolia family) has a single band, so it is not as distinct as what you see in your pic of the magnolia.

Gotcha!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

It is the dark band at the terminus of each growth ring.  It is what gives it that nice grain.

That's the part that reminded me of the redwood.  Second growth redwood often grows very fast. I've seen 3/4" wide growth rings with the "dark band at the terminus of each ring." 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Dave Shepard

My first thought was tulip. Makes sense considering they are in the same family. I knew tulip wad in the magnoliaceae family,  but i would never have thought of magnolia,  as i never knew it was a sawable species.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scooba106

two tired

when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

francismilker

"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!