iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carb adjustment

Started by waho, May 17, 2017, 04:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waho

Just received my little Tanaka TCS33, since I'm at sea level and the saw will be used in Col at about 8800' I thought I should adjust the high speed a little richer. Problem is the adjustment screws don't have a screwdriver slot or is that a cover over them? If it is a cover how do I remove it?
Thanks

ladylake

Don't know about the Tanaka but you will need to adjust it leaner at 8800, less air = less fuel.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Canadiana

Some saw companies use limiter caps on the carburetor. These limit the adjustment screws. Removing these, if it your first time doing this, will likely void warranty. I removed some on an echo that no longer had warranty. I tried to be tactical about it. 1st cap was mangled, 2nd was ok. I used a hook-shaped pick tool, various drywall screws and  i think needle nose pliers with very mixed results. I have no experience with using saws at c-level/high altitude.
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

kensfarm

I'd wait and use it as is at first.. then see if adjustment is needed.  Have you had to adjust other engines? 

yamaracer

when we moved to 8750' from central TX, both of my saws ran...ok.  the ms170 took the altitude change the worse, my husky 55 rancher handled it much better.  where it was the most noticeable was starting them. 

kenskip1

Honestly I would leave it alone. Why, from the factory most saws are set lean. As you go up in altitude this will actually richen it. Higher altitude thinner less air and more mix.It might be set just about right. Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

joe_indi

Some carbs don't have limiter caps instead they need special tools for adjustment, usually (using the best term that comes to mind) a 'female' screwdriver.
How I get around this is by using my angle grinder with the thinnest cutting wheel to cut slots on the screws.
But, do this as a DIY when your warranty period is over.
Your saw is new right now and could really use any richness it gets to seat properly. So I would leave it as it is until it has gone through at least 30 tankfuls of fuel. After which, if it does seem to be running rich, get the shop to adjust it for you, not now.

Thank You Sponsors!