iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check my Math

Started by hopm, May 22, 2017, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

5 layers of syp 5/4x10' in length ...random width from 5" up to 12"
total width of all the boards is 450" which is 37.5' which in turn equals a total of 375 bft at .50 per bft would be a cost of $187.50.......right?......I've always give everything away and I'm trying to get on track with fair and consistent pricing.....any input would be MUCH appreciated.

4x4American

I saw 5/4 at 1-3/8" thick and scale as 1-1/4" so if it were me, I calculate it as 468.75 BF x $0.50 = $234.38
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

I plugged your numbers into my tally and price sheet and come up with 468.75 bf with sale price of $234.38 if no tax or other costs involve. See attached.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

You wouldn't like how I figure that in my hardwoods........ well you wont like it if your the buyer. I have never had a paying customer complain about my price. Most of the time I price it and we agree before I cut it so there is no dispute.

I have quoted a lot of lumber.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ron Wenrich

Bd ft volume = (thickness x width (in inches) x length (in feet))/12.  You forgot to make thickness at 1ΒΌ".
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

GAB

Quote from: hopm on May 22, 2017, 09:46:09 PM
total width of all the boards is 450" which is 37.5' which in turn equals a total of 375 bft at .50 per bft would be a cost of $187.50.......right?......I've always give everything away and I'm trying to get on track with fair and consistent pricing.....any input would be MUCH appreciated.

It is my opinion that at ".50 per bft" it is either very poor quality material or you are working for nothing.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

The question was to check the math. As to the price - if that is a sawing fee I think it is a very reasonable sawing price (In other words more than I usually charge). If you are selling lumber for that price IMHO it is way too cheap - but that was not the question.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hopm

Quote from: GAB on May 23, 2017, 07:47:23 AM

It is my opinion that at ".50 per bft" it is either very poor quality material or you are working for nothing.
Gerald

I have worked my mill for 15 years. No telling how much has been sawed on it. Not tremendous production by any means but it has been used regularly.....as in at least weekly through the years. I have been paid twice for the lumber sawed.....$90 once and $100 once.....so your nothing is a great gain over the nothing I have been operating on for the past 15 years ;D ;D. I just wanted to see if this would be an accurate account of lumber and a fair price....for the buyer.
Thank you all for the input!!

Deese

Quote from: hopm on May 23, 2017, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: GAB on May 23, 2017, 07:47:23 AM

Gerald

I have worked my mill for 15 years. No telling how much has been sawed on it. Not tremendous production by any means but it has been used regularly.....as in at least weekly through the years. I have been paid twice for the lumber sawed.....$90 once and $100 once.....so your nothing is a great gain over the nothing I have been operating on for the past 15 years ;D ;D. I just wanted to see if this would be an accurate account of lumber and a fair price....for the buyer.
Thank you all for the input!!

The buyer is getting a fantastic deal at .50/bf. I recently discovered that I can sell good quality 1" air dried syp at $1.00/bf fairly easily.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

killamplanes

Lumber is a local price market and quality as a variable. Ever tried to sell a cube of ice to an Eskimo.  Local blocking/pallet stock is in the gutter you throw 50cents bdft you get oak by the semis.. sorry for the rant
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!