iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler 25 hp Carb repair Wood Mizer LT35 and others

Started by MartyParsons, May 16, 2017, 09:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Here is a story with pictures. Customer purchased a new LT35HD about a year ago. Used it 23 hours then found other things more important. It came in the shop with engine would crank but not start. It would run with 2+2 carb cleaner. Customer said it was the fuel pump. I removed the fuel line and when the engine was cranking we had lots of fuel.

So we started with the fuel shut off solenoid. If this is not working or someone modifies the engine will back fire. The plunger was stuck, kinda looked like dried grape jelly on the end.
You will need to loosen the two carb bolts to remove this.

But no luck, engine still would not run.

When you remove the bolts to the carb there is a washer for grounding the circuit for the solenoid. One fell into the engine fan area so watch out.

I drained the smelly fuel out of the tank, no water in it but it did smell. I dont think there is any snake oil ( fuel magic) out there that would make this stuff burn.   :o

Well I think I can smell and see why it would not run. More grape jelly in the fuel bowl.   And

The fuel needle under the float was stuck in place. I had to pry it out with an ice pick.

So off to the cleaner it went.

Here it is after a few min at 175 degrees with Simple Green and water.

Put it all back together. Me thought all done ready to go. Now I know I should know better. I did blow out the fuel line but did not install a new fuel filter.   The engine ran but would shut off when the rpm was lowered.   Was not sure.

Removed the top of the carb again. Same exact picture.

Cleaned it again with some 2+2 cleaner and installed a new fuel filter.

All Good!! The owner must of removed one of the bolts for the fuel pump on the valve cover because I could feel air coming out around this area. It was missing one of the screws.

I hope this helps some one else who did not rotate the fuel with in 90 days.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Wallys World

My LT28, Rayco RG25 stump grinder and Vermeer 625a chipper all have the Kohler 25 horse. I left gas in the chipper for 6 months without starting it. Mine looked like the one shown. Luckly we are able to get non-ethanol gas here. I don't run anything else now!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Chuck White

Thanks for posting things like this, Marty!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Wallys World

I now try to start and run for a little while every month now even with the non-ethanol gas. We have a couple of large lakes near us so there are quite a few stations that sell high octane non-ethanol for the boats.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

SlowJoeCrow

Good topic and post.  All of the gas that I buy gets Stabil added to it asap.  2 oz. per 5 gallons, I highly recommend it.

OlJarhead

Interesting.  Never had this happen to me before (and I've left fuel over the winter in ATV's etc without issue) but will bear it in mind.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

samandothers

Thanks for posting this Marty.  I don't run my mill often and it has been over a year since I have rum my LT35.  I do run only non ethanol gas.  I installed a fuel shut off and when I stop using I close the shut off and allow the unit to run out of gas.

I figure I may have mouse issues to contend with when I use later this summer. ::)

Kbeitz

I get the jelly stuff every winter in my mule and 4 wheeler.
The only way to get it out is to open up the carb.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sealark37

Ethanol, in any % is death to a carb.  The longer one leaves it in a fuel system, the worse the damage.  I am amazed that OEMs don't recognize this and prohibit its use.  I suppose it makes money for their dealer organization.  Regards, Clark

78NHTFY

....so I'm reading about these carb woes due to ethanol and saying to myself, have owned my LT 40 w/ 25 HP Kohler Command Vtwin  since 4/03, and I use regular gas and add a little 2+4 additive, and have never had a problem, and I'm pretty happy about that, ;cause she starts every time, but also, I'm kinda nervous and so I go out yesterday to saw and SHE WON"T START  :'( :'(, so I know the chickens have come home to roost (old saying!).  And because tearing apart a carb is beyond my skill level I now have to find a mobile mechanic to fix it..... :(/  Moral to the story?--I guess sometimes it takes a long time to learn your lesson.   All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MbfVA

Ethanol use in fuel is a national political question, not  something based on any scientific advantage, for sure. We have to admit that it was part of how we got out of our domination by OPEC, but with other things like energy conservation, alternative energy, even franking (*DanG Siri spelling), its time has really passed and then some.

Opposing it will make someone an enemy of every corn farmer in Iowa, but get real, it needs to go.   I will agree to eat more corn, if Chuck Grassley will stop opposing ending the ethanol subsidy.
www.ordinary.com (really)

MbfVA

I would never try to outdo a master mechanic like Mr. Parsons, but my unscientific observation from owning way too many engines over the years is that problems with leaving gas in the machine varies one heck of a lot depending on engine brand but also worse longer ago than now. My bet would be that the design & complexity of the plumbing from fuel tank to carburetor or fuel injection has a lot to do with it, but I'll wait for Mr. Parsons come back in on that.

I have a Stihl hedge clipper circa 2001, that has had nothing but problems with gas, used irregularly of course, in the shop for fuel problems at least once, and currently suffering from same.  My considerably newer 600 pole saw has very few problems with gas.   Frankly, I'm looking forward to more battery powered small tools, but I doubt that's going to happen with Saul Mills ( that's the spelling I get every time with Siri, she does not learn, Apple lies).

Those who do not have access to non-ethanol fuel ( and we do not) know to use premium, and not regular grade in  small engines, especially those that will be irregularly used, right?  That's what I've been told for years, and it seems to have served me well. But that's also unscientific of course. 
www.ordinary.com (really)

SlowJoeCrow

Am I the only one who uses Stabil or are others using it as well?

21incher

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on May 18, 2017, 06:41:23 PM
Am I the only one who uses Stabil or are others using it as well?
I only use the black marine stabil made for ethanol. That red stuff does not work as good. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SlowJoeCrow

To be honest, Ive never used anything other than the red Stabil.  It works great for me.  It goes into the 5 gallon gas cans as soon as I fill them up.  I put it in 2 cycle gas/oil mix as well.  Sawmill, lawn mower, gas tractors, weed eater, chainsaw, 4 wheeler,  Polaris ranger, generator,etc all get it.  I used to have trouble with gas turning stale but not no mo!

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: MbfVA on May 18, 2017, 06:35:15 PM
I would never try to outdo a master mechanic like Mr. Parsons, but my unscientific observation from owning way too many engines over the years is that problems with leaving gas in the machine varies one heck of a lot depending on engine brand but also worse longer ago than now. My bet would be that the design & complexity of the plumbing from fuel tank to carburetor or fuel injection has a lot to do with it, but I'll wait for Mr. Parsons come back in on that.

I have a Stihl hedge clipper circa 2001, that has had nothing but problems with gas, used irregularly of course, in the shop for fuel problems at least once, and currently suffering from same.  My considerably newer 600 pole saw has very few problems with gas.   Frankly, I'm looking forward to more battery powered small tools, but I doubt that's going to happen with Saul Mills ( that's the spelling I get every time with Siri, she does not learn, Apple lies).

Those who do not have access to non-ethanol fuel ( and we do not) know to use premium, and not regular grade in  small engines, especially those that will be irregularly used, right?  That's what I've been told for years, and it seems to have served me well. But that's also unscientific of course.

Fuels have shorter shelf life than they did "long ago".  And, it's not so much the "design and complexity of the plumbing" as it is the materials from which they are made. 

Premium/higher octane, ethanol or non-ethanol,  is often the better choice in small engines with high compression.  What assurance does one have that using premium will provide a longer shelf life?

Either completely empty containers or systems of all fuel or try to keep them as full as possible.   Storing fuel for long periods of time was never a good idea.

WV Sawmiller

SJC,

What octane gas are you using? Y'all are making me nervous. Maybe I am just lucky but I don't know of any issues with my gas - yet. I do use high octane gas in my ATV, chainsaws, mowers, outboard motor, weedeater, and my mill. I don't know if it has as much ethanol in it as lower octane or not. I typically keep 6 to 7 of the 5 gallon cans of gas around the place. I run the gas out of the outboard at the end of each fishing trip and in the winter I take that gas (Same 50:1 mixture) and use it in my chainsaws over the winter then start with fresh outboard gas in the Spring.

The gas in my mill does not sit long between crankings even if I only run it an hour or so between sawing events. So far the mill has started right up every time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SlowJoeCrow

I buy regular 87 octane (i think its the 10% ethanol blend) for most everything but I put 89 in my 2 cycle gas oil mix.  You are probably using your equipment often enough that you don't have a problem.  As stated above, the problems are when that gas sits for a while and the engine isn't run very often.  I used to have problems with my chainsaw because i would only cut firewood one season a year.  Now I am using it more often.

Thank You Sponsors!