iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need info on family mill

Started by Nomatch3, May 15, 2017, 04:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomatch3

I am selling a family members estate sawmill. This is located in NH and owned by family since 60s. The mill was still in operation till 2014 when he passed away at 96. He has built almost 100 homes from this mill himself including the neighborhood the mill is located. I need help on value and have been told this is a late 1800s to early 1900s mill. I know over the decades it went from unbelieve steam, to gas, to finally diesel powered. I know it was setup with top and bottom blades but the top blade is off at the time. Mill saw lane on it and was told it's a number 1 Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you also pictures are in my profile gallery.

47sawdust

LWI in Morrisville Vermont might be able to help put a price on it.They bought all the old Lane parts and have the ability to fabricate new parts.You also might check the Sawmill Exchange for a comparable mill and price.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

TKehl

It's a hard call, and I'm basing this all on my search for a handset circle mill.  The old circle mills have become less relevant and desired overall.  There are a lot of them around and not a lot of demand.  As such, pricing on a handset like this boils down to condition, model number, and proximity of a buyer above most else. 

Lane is a good name.  You have that going for you.  It is under cover, that is a big plus.  If the track is on steel instead of wood, that is another plus.  Hard to tell, but it looks like the saw is sitting in sawdust, this is a negative. 

Unfortunately it boils down to finding a buyer.  I've seen good mills sit for months listed at $3k,  very good ones sell quickly at 10k, lower end ones sit at $2k for years, and there is one 20 miles from me I'm afraid to offer $200 for, because he might take it then I'd have to spend the time to pick it up.   :D 

I also know nothing about the market in your part of the country.  I stick to the midwest.   :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

bandmiller2

#3, as mentioned the bottom has pretty much fallen out on old handset circular mills. Band mills have come of age and are better for the small guy/ hobby miller. If its complete with diesel that will run somewhere in the $2500 range. Its a shame as that mill will give the best band mill a run for its money but requires a good foundation and someone that will take the time to set it up right. Twenty or thirty years ago a standard price for a mill like that was $5000. Good luck I hope you find it a good home, no family member interested.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sealark37

If the power unit will start and run.  If the mill is nearly complete, and usable.  Your mill should bring $2000-$2500 from a buyer who is willing to disassemble and move it from your property.  Additional parts, like headsaws, edgers, sawdust blowers, or other parts will push the price up, but only a few hundred bucks.   The wider the advertisement, the quicker the sale.       Regards, Clark

woodworker9

I spent a fair amount of time searching for a handset mill and came very close to purchasing a Corley a few years ago for $1500.00, completely steel.  It also came with 3 blades, 2 54"ers and a 56"er.  Problem came when the owner, who had sold it to me under the pretense that he could load it onto a trailer, and that the site was truck/trailer accessible (I purchased it via several video's of it, but never seeing it in person due to how far away it was), only to call me back in the spring to tell me that the road leading to it had totally grown over with tree's and brush, and it was 4 miles or so back in the woods.  I passed.  He then called to tell me I could have it for free if I wanted to "cut my way back".  I still passed.  Turns out that he was/is a helicopter owner/pilot, and just flew in to take video and pictures, forgetting about the fact that it wasn't flying out.

A good friend recently purchased a Corley #5 in really great and working condition, complete with a running gas powerplant, pretty much turnkey operation, for $1000 down in Georgia.

I know of another one about 3 hours north in Wisconsin for about $1500, but the midwest is an entirely different animal than New England.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Kbeitz

You could have just milled your way out...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bill_G.

One problem with stationary mills in NH is some towns won't allow them in certain zones . Where in NH is the mill ? It looks like a wooden carriage and husk , which will reduce the value .

Thank You Sponsors!