iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade staorege

Started by Florida boy, June 12, 2017, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

I bought my Sawmill about 6 months ago. when I bought it there were about 50 blades that came with it. also since then I have bought about 12 new ones.
  I haven't figured out a really good way to store them. some I have in a big box most the other I have coiled hanging up in my way to small a shop.
    Im wondering if anyone of you innovators have came up with a good storage device for blades. I don't have a lot of space inside so am trying to figure out a water proof way to store them outside. but can't seem to come up with anything good. maybe a drum but wouldn't be able to reach the bottom. someone has got to have a neat way to store bandsaw blades. thoughts?

Percy

It rains a lot here and I keep my blades in the mill shack. When I was mobile and had to leave Blade's out, I'd soak a rag in bar oil and coat them with it. Worked well for a few months anyways. Remember to wipe it off before using the blade as on more than one occasion I threw the blade off the bandwheels due to lack of  gripshun 🤡
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Chuck White

I store my blades coiled and inside a cabinet in the garage!

When I get done sharpening each blade, I always wipe it down with a rag soaked in ATF!

If they're stored without use any significant amount of time, I would take them down at least once a year and wipe them down again!

Do not store them outside, they WILL rust!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Do a search and look at MagicMan's garbage can storage container...

Herb

Magicman

Here is a LINK to an old topic dealing with blade storage.

A few searches will find many more topics dealing with blade storage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

The pics below are of the blade storage box that I carry to sawjobs every day that I'm out!

The date on the pics is not correct, I think I made the blade box in 2010!

Very handy, and made from scrap that I had just laying around.

Keeps blades well organized!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Savannahdan

You could also try spraying WD40 on some rags that can be stored in box(es) like MMs or Chucks.  I used this method when having to store tool boxes in a shed.  It helped to fight off the Savannah humidity.  Also like the chainsaw bar oil and ATF recommendations.  Diesel would be another option, you'll have to put up with the smell.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

Quote from: Savannahdan on June 13, 2017, 06:46:06 AM
You could also try spraying WD40 on some rags that can be stored in box(es) like MMs or Chucks.  I used this method when having to store tool boxes in a shed.  It helped to fight off the Savannah humidity.  Also like the chainsaw bar oil and ATF recommendations.  Diesel would be another option, you'll have to put up with the smell.

Oil and rags = fire...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

highleadtimber16

I hang my blades in my shed, then pack them in the woodmizer box once theres enough to ship away. I usually wipe them down with a rag soaked in ATF, or just give the blade a few sprays while it's still spinning on the mill, before taking it off. Being so close to the ocean, I have to make sure they're dry before hanging them up, otherwise they don't look so shiny no more.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Florida boy

thanks for the link magicman. I'll have to try to make me a shortened garbage can or 2.
the consensus seems to be some kind of lube or protective on the blades before storage.
   I'm in the process of starting a pole barn build. hopefully that will solve alot  my storage problems. once I have something worth sharing I may start a build thread. thanks for the replys. I've got some ideas rolling now.

Magicman

Here is a LINK to the topic where I built my new replacement Magic Can a couple of years ago.

And as a side note, the Gorilla Tape is still there and holding up quite nicely.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!