iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of cherry is this?

Started by Brad_bb, May 15, 2017, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

My first reaction was chestnut oak.  I'm not sure you have them in Ind.  I've cut millions of bf of chestnut oak, and you can logs that look like that.  Chestnut oak may or may not have occlusion.  It doesn't look like the black oak in my area.  Another red oak you may have is scarlet oak, but the ones I've seen are usually a bit smoother. 

Cherry leaf could be shingle oak.  We don't have them in my area, but I saw them in the western part of PA.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Shingle oak makes sense given the area that the tree was found.  That is most likely what it is.  Shingle oak is a red oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

As I said earlier, I think all those small branches we had to cut first with cherry leaves I think were small cherries that were laid over and snapped by the Oak when it fell.  It was just not clear that they were not from the Oak. Because I looked at the exposed pink wood of the base of the tree, I thought it was cherry and assumed that those branches with leaves were the still living part of the oak.   I vaguely remember cutting some branches with wilted leaves that I think were from the oak.  They were small, but I think they were typical oak leaves.  It fooled me in multiple ways until I could really examine the wood.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!