iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of cherry is this?

Started by Brad_bb, May 15, 2017, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So I've milled a lot of Black Cherry -Prunus serotina, but my buddy John (in pic) and I just pulled this one out of the woods. About 80 percent of the base was rotted/ant nest and a windstorm blew it over.  The 8 foot butt log is about 25-27 inches, I didn't actually measure.  The one branch that leafed out looked like cherry.  The wood is pink like cherry and can be a bit darker in the center.  At the crotches, the crotch figure is deep reds.  Almost reminds me of pitch in yellow pine.  The bark of this tree is very unlike Black cherry.  Whereas black cherry is uniform light scale, this tree has heavy...what do you call it? hills and valleys.  There must be a term for it.

The dry portions of the tree, which is most of the tree as much of it has been standing dead, the wood is very hard.  I cannot get my logrite hookaroon in it.

This is an area of woods that was built on in the last 25 years and this tree is much older than that.  It's a hilly woods along the Illinois river in Morris, IL.

Any idea on what kind of cherry this could be?

This is Black Cherry that I'm used to:

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

I don't believe that is a cherry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 15, 2017, 09:01:17 PM
Whereas black cherry is uniform light scale, this tree has heavy...what do you call it? hills and valleys.  There must be a term for it.
Still going with the terrain reference, I'd say the bark has deep "furrows".  The bark is furrowed.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brad_bb

On Wed I'll mill a small branch and get some more pics of the wood.  i don't think it's an oak. No ring pores on the end grain I can see. From the end cuts it looks like cherry.  Even the base of the butt where there was missing wood, what was there looked like curly cherry.  I don't think the butt log is curly, just the very bottom.  The bark does look more like an oak.  I'm not questioning the "leafed out branches.  I thought they were this tree, but could they have been from the small trees that were folded over when this one fell???  I was confident about he leaves, but am now doubting myself.  We cut up all the small branches and piled them up and the owner had someone come and chip them.  We shall see.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dustyhat

killamplanes

Need some more pictures. If the wood has black grains in it I betting on water oak. Bark looks lIke it. And the fact it's rotten helps me lean that way. Does it stink when you saw it???
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Brad_bb

I've never heard of Pecan being this far north.  No it doesn't stink when cut. 

WDH

It is very sweetgummy looking. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I don't believe that the one in the arch is a cherry, but the second pic is Black Cherry!

At least it looks exactly like the Black Cherry we have in this area!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

I agree with Chuck
Second pic typical cherry bark
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Reddog sawmill

Brad_bb

Yes the second pic is just for reference.  The second pic is the typical cherry that I cut, black Cherry aka Prunus Serotina.

I will mill a piece of the tree tomorrow (Wed) so we have a better look at the wood. 

Jemclimber

You will also know it's not cherry when you cut it, all cherry has that pleasant smell I'm sure your nose knows. (Does that count as a Tom?)
lt15

Ox

I've seen red oak around this mountain that looked really deeply furrowed in the bark like that.  That plus the fact you say it's real hard in spots makes me think it might be a red oak. 

I remember cutting some red oak tops many years ago that had been left by the loggers.  Looked rotten but just the sapwood was.  The heartwood still made some sparks from the chainsaw.  Been laying out in the woods for probably 7 years or so by that time...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Brad_bb

WDH, Paul Case, Killamplanes, Reddog Sawmill, and Ox were all CORRECT!

I've confirmed it is an oak.  What kind of oak I do not know.  It does have ring pores.  I had to put my glasses on to see them.  So here are some pics.

Here is a piece of the firewood from some limbs.  You can definitely see tangential rays.

Here's a bit of rift cut that shows some of the rays.

Here are two pics of the inner bark.

Here is the wood of the branch I just cut for brace stock.

Here is the reason I got a bit confused.  some of the small branches I initially cut looked like cherry.

Compare that to actual black cherry shown here:

dustyhat

Dont know the types of trees in IL. but if that was here in KY. i would still have to say black gum. your pics are looking like it more and more.

WDH

Blackgum does not have medullary rays that are visible to the naked the eye.  Definitely an oak.  Was the tree dead?

Brad_bb

Pretty much dead.  Some upper branches started to leaf out but did as soon as the tree was blown over. There was only about 15-20 percent good wood of the trunk left at the base with the rest rotted out/missing.  It wasn't wet rot.  it was pretty dry.  But this is why a windstorm finally took it down- non longer enough wood to resist.  Still lots of good wood to salvage from the tree, pretty colors too as you can see. Despite a little rot/ants nest up the butt log, it should still yield a bunch of good boards or 4x8's.  A large 4way crotch above that to chainsaw mill.  Then another good log with no ants, and a bunch of branches to mill for brace stock.

But what kind of oak is it with all those cool colors? 

nativewolf

I really appreciate the effort you take to work with the wood, cutting it to enhance what is there rather than to try to force it to conform to some standard mechanical process.  That's what distinguishes a craftsman.  Keep sharing those pictures.
Liking Walnut

Brad_bb

Thanks man!  There are so many beautiful aspects of wood that many people never see.  Wait until i post my slab collection.  It's a collection beautiful slabs with knobs and other features that I intend to incorporate into my house build.  I will put them on walls and plaster around them so they look like they are growing out of the walls.  Maybe put pegs in some of hanging coats etc.  I like practical art too. 

WDH

I believe it is a red oak.  One suspect is black oak.  The characteristic orange inner back will not show if the tree was dead.  It could be shumard oak.  Small chance that it is southern red oak. 

Reddog sawmill

It is chestnut oak a kind of white oak that i saw almost daily

dustyhat

What kind of oak has leaves like a cherry? not arguing . i did find shingle oak for Midwest states, leave looks cherry like but bark looks diff.

Thank You Sponsors!