The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Hickory Timbers?  (Read 2519 times)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
Re: Hickory Timbers?
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 10:03:27 am »
I was able to open and read.  Great article about the history of the farm. 

Don I believe you got a call out in the article, well deserved!  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping Lots of local talent!

Who were the 'experts' from Floyd mentioned in the article?  What was their role?

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 01:00:37 pm »
2nd time's a charm.  When I clicked on it again I got the whole article.  Pretty neat.  Quite a story behind that structure.  It's really good that a lot of those old structures are behind rehab'd, preserved and re-used.

I've been to Floyd a few times.  Great area.  My grandmother was from Floyd.  She moved to Halifax county (Alton) when she married my grandfather.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us informed.

BT

HM126

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »
It has been a fun project, a bit more than any of us anticipated but we're having a good time.
Al Anderson, Timber Works of Interest, is the GC on the project, the two of us Don's are getting to play in the woods providing the logs and timbers they need and pitching in when they need a hand. A couple of our friends are pitching in at my sawmill when they have time sawing up our "bycatch", logs that are other than the sizes we can use directly, into floor and sheathing boards. We used logs from 10-14" diameter to make the logs used in the cribs and are using the tops of those trees in the 6-8" range for the rafters. Of course we got into some whoppers doing the beams and are using the slabs to make some loft floor joists and more lumber. Big and crooked logs are being sawn into boards. Firewood has gone in about every direction. It's been pretty efficient thus far. We've kicked around trying to make charcoal out of the slab piles.

btulloh, I had looked Jett up to see what company he was with, didn't know he was a household name  :D. Lightening took out the dish a decade or so ago. The nice lady called to offer us a new one but I told her the pipe that was left standing in the yard was a great rain gauge holder and I didn't want to give that up. She didn't understand.

I enjoy Floyd, they have done great things with their downtown area in the past few years, nice timberframing everywhere.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 02:55:38 pm »
This weekend was 'Floyd Fest' down on the Parkway.

Don who were the folks mentioned in the article from Floyd and their roles?

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 07:51:51 pm »
The guys from Floyd are Al Anderson and Kevin Morley, they're actually from Pilot (Al's wife and Kevin's sister are also Blue Ridge Yurts). Al and Kevin and their helper Peter are the ones doing the reconstruction. We are making the materials and they are doing the joinery and construction.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2017, 10:59:18 pm »
Y'all are doing great work as well as the others and thanks for sharing the project.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25:13 pm »
Don't run over the chainsaw like I did   :-\.

Well...
At the end of the day yesterday we had dropped a tree in a particularly thick hawthorn grove and after getting an ear piercing that I hadn't really counted on I decided to stay after and clean it up a little. I got lazy hopping up and down from the loader and put the saw on the back deck and forgot. I was popping out stumps heading uphill and it slid off the back, and then I backed up and saw it smushed into the mud. It still runs and cuts but it broke the bottom handlebar mount. It's full of epoxy but it ain't gonna last long.

So I have an 034 that needs a cylinder and piston job but it doesn't look like there is an aftermarket one  ??? I think I'll try an 034 super and hopefully it'll be an easy bolt up. I can't imagine the bottom is different on those two saws.